PDA

View Full Version : Building my medicine cabinet for the future

White Worm
09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
What is everyone's go-to medicine?

I am getting 16 oz. Prazipro because dissolving Prazi powder is a PITA.
I am getting 16 oz. Quick Cure.
100 Grams of Metronidazole powder.
20 Grams Levamisole HCI powder.
50 Grams Kanamycin powder.
100 Clout Tablets. 500mg per tablet treats 10g.
1 Kilo of Safe - Not med but good for water conditioner and price conscious.
Bought a digital scale to measure mg.

Any important additions??

fishbubbles
09-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Potassium permanganate is nice to have and is pretty cheap. A lot of people use it similar to h2o2 to treat wounds or some skin irritations.

White Worm
09-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I like iodine (betadine) applied directly to external wounds. It has really worked for me in the past. h202 works well for fungus though in place of Methyl blue. I use it for eggs so that I don't turn everything blue.

NJDiscusGuy
09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
I would add Epsom salt.

White Worm
09-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Yep, already got it. I was kinda talking about the stuff I have to order so I can do it all at once, thanks!

brewmaster15
09-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Mike,
Levamisol and praziquantel are the only meds I have on hand... because they are part of my quarantine deworming of new fish.

I keep potassium permanganate on hand because I bought a pound of it years and years ago and it doesnt go bad. I will probably be buried before its used up.

I like to have a formalin or formalin malachite green as it sometimes is part of my Qt if needed.

Epsom salt

kosher table table salt

hydrogen peroxide.

thats it. I dont stock any antibiotics for bacteria.

hth,
Al

White Worm
09-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Hey Al, So, you use the Levamisol for most internal worms/parasites and Prazi for most external and internal? Metro not on your list of must haves? I think I have some PP around somewhere still. Quick cure is the formalin/malachite green so that is on my list. H202 and salts are always in my fish room. Thanks!

brewmaster15
09-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi Mike,
No Metro isnt on my list. Its not something thats needed asap.. If a fish has internal protozoans like hexamita, Theres plenty of time to order it fresh on line where it is readily available.

The levamisole is a general dewormer, but doesnt work on tapeworms... Prazi isnt a good broad spectrum dewormer but its the best tapeworm killer out there and still useful for flukes. Both of these dewormers I have on hand as they are part of my QT...

http://discustoday.info/some-tips-on-quarantine-and-its-importance/

al

White Worm
09-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Thanks Al, what is your dosage of each? I have read approx 80 mg per 10g (2mg per liter) for levamisole. So, a 20g QT would get approx 200mg? The prazipro directions end up being about the same dosage around 2.5mg per liter. So, a 20g QT would get approx 250mg? Great reading and a simple prophylactic QT.