PDA

View Full Version : I am a Foster Parent!

Skip
09-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Wife and I became Foster Parents August 1 to a little boy barely 4 yrs old. it was a little bumpy the first few weeks but we are smooth sailing! We won't know the ultmiate outcome for another 10 months or so.. whether he goes back to a family member or we are able to adopt him.
this weekend we are going to take in a Trio (7G, 4B, 4G) that parental rights were terminated Monday. They are staying for us to bond and repeat this more until all involved feel the transition into our home is right and for us to start the Adoption process..

I will have three 4 yr olds and a 7.. Wish us luck!!

anyone else have Adoption/Foster Experience.. ?

gators111
09-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Thank you for being a foster parent.

Discus-n00b
09-29-2017, 04:48 PM
It's a great thing y'all are doing! I wish you the best of luck!

Judging from what I read on facebook, you've had the dad jokes down for quite a while now so I suspect you'll be great. ;)

brewmaster15
09-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Wife and I became Foster Parents August 1 to a little boy barely 4 yrs old. it was a little bumpy the first few weeks but we are smooth sailing! We won't know the ultmiate outcome for another 10 months or so.. whether he goes back to a family member or we are able to adopt him.
this weekend we are going to take in a Trio (7G, 4B, 4G) that parental rights were terminated Monday. They are staying for us to bond and repeat this more until all involved feel the transition into our home is right and for us to start the Adoption process..

I will have three 4 yr olds and a 7.. Wish us luck!!

anyone else have Adoption/Foster Experience.. ?

Skip thats Awesome! I guess you could say I have experience. :) Growing up my parents took in many foster children over a span of 20 plus years. Literally dozens and dozens. They had huge hearts. Some were special needs,many from drug afflicted households. Many were reunited with their birth families but Over that time period they adopted 7 . Im the oldest of 11 children at this point Ranging from 20 yrs old to 49. :)

What you and your wife are doing is giving kids a chance at normal life .. its a huge gift... Im really happy for you. Oh by the way.. my parents took in a trio also.. 2 boys and a girl. They were not much older than yours. They are some of my adopted brothers and sisters.We are all close and get together as family often.

Al

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Skip, taking kids into your life can be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Hoping this works out for you, your family and the kids involved. :D
Pat

Disgirl
09-29-2017, 07:35 PM
This is great news Skip! Do you have some fish the kids can help you with? Fun for all!
Barb

LizStreithorst
09-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Good luck Skip. You have a lot of love in your heart. You are a fine man.

Cosmo
09-29-2017, 09:01 PM
What an incrediblly awesome thing to do!!

Altum Nut
09-30-2017, 05:01 PM
That is amazing news Skip...Congrates to you and Rosanna.:heart1::sun::thumbsup:

...Ralph

Clawhammer
10-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Congratulations and huge respect to you and your spouse. What a beautiful act of love and generosity :)

Skip
10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
UPDATE!! :)

the Trio parental rights not terminated yet.. HOWEVER.. CPS sees no kin that will want or be able to get approved by CPS.. so they are moving the kids towards non-kinship adoption..

AND.. they chose us to bring in the Siblings!!! 7 yr old G, Twins, B/G 4 yrs.!! parental rights should be terminated in Jan... we have to foster the kids for 6 months prior to adopting.. that means about April.. so sometime in the spring.. we should be officially the parents!! the current Boy 4 yrs.. is only 3 months into the system.. but neither parent seems to be doing anything other the visiting him 1x Week for 2 hours.. we told CPS we would adopt him.. when/if need arises!! :)

A non profit is donating 4 twins beds and 3 booster seats.. and deliver them to us on friday.. i will pick up the Tres on Saturday!!

I can't tell you how much my heart is beaming with pride and love on this journey!! going for zero kids.. to four in 3 months!! :)

Skip
10-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Skip thats Awesome! I guess you could say I have experience. :) Growing up my parents took in many foster children over a span of 20 plus years. Literally dozens and dozens. They had huge hearts. Some were special needs,many from drug afflicted households. Many were reunited with their birth families but Over that time period they adopted 7 . Im the oldest of 11 children at this point Ranging from 20 yrs old to 49. :)

What you and your wife are doing is giving kids a chance at normal life .. its a huge gift... Im really happy for you. Oh by the way.. my parents took in a trio also.. 2 boys and a girl. They were not much older than yours. They are some of my adopted brothers and sisters.We are all close and get together as family often.

Al

the kids were separated at first.. but the current foster family wants to continue to foster only.. so we were asked next.. from the start.. i wanted a sibling group.. cuz of the many kids.. that get pulled out of bad houses.. but then get split up.. and maybe never see each other again.. my mission was to make sure a family set stayed together!! and if had a bigger house.. i would get more! seeing the kids in system hurts my heart!

brewmaster15
10-19-2017, 11:12 AM
the kids were separated at first.. but the current foster family wants to continue to foster only.. so we were asked next.. from the start.. i wanted a sibling group.. cuz of the many kids.. that get pulled out of bad houses.. but then get split up.. and maybe never see each other again.. my mission was to make sure a family set stayed together!! and if had a bigger house.. i would get more! seeing the kids in system hurts my heart!

Skip, When they Grow up, they will thank you for this and the chance you are giving them. Nice to see a ray of light in an often times dark world.:)

al

Skip
10-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Skip, When they Grow up, they will thank you for this and the chance you are giving them. Nice to see a ray of light in an often times dark world.:)

al

at 48.. i am just happy that i have a chance of being a grandparent someday!!!!! :)

Skip
10-24-2017, 05:48 PM
its official.. we got the siblings Saturday!!

LizStreithorst
10-24-2017, 05:58 PM
excellent. Contrats to you you and your wife.

brewmaster15
10-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Congrats to you all!:)

Kingdom Come Discus
10-26-2017, 07:01 PM
I am so happy for you guys and especially the kids. Thank you for sharing this story with us Skip!!!

Skip
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM
OMG.. i haven't updated!!
Soooooooooooo... The parental rights were not terminated.. UNTIL Jan. 10 2018.. we will now be adopting that sibling group August 10 at a Hearing in the County Courthouse!!
everything is all done, the lawyer have us on the docket! i missed NADA mostly cuz we had the kids in Orlando at Disney World.. and they got to meet my wife's Venezuelan family from Caracas and Calgary!! its been a hell of a ride.. they kids are healthy and adjusted.. other then my 2nd grade due to mothers neglect did poorly in first grade .. she should not have been in 2nd grade at all.. so it was recommended she repeat it and we agreed..

our 1st placement 5 yr old boy.. is still with us since July 31, 2017.. his final hearing was tuesday this week.. CPS was planning to give him back to the father (he was removed from mom's home).. but last week.. both parents came up positive for cocaine on a drug test.. however, this lab has a terrible reputation for false positives.. mom took another test and came up negative.. Dad is taking another one by this friday.. but now.. the case has been extended another 6 months.. so i will still have the little guy till FEB.. with his next court hearing Nov. 4th.. apparently.. CPS is really going to be looking at the father alot more closely (he was the non offending parent and kind of had a free pass) .. he will probably get more drug tests and some more service plans to complete..

either way.. i will still become a dad in August.. and the kids will have NEW birth certificates to prove it!!!!!!

Second Hand Pat
07-19-2018, 11:03 AM
I sure do hope this works out for you and your wife Skip. Great to hear the kids are healthy and well adjusted. There is nothing like becoming a parent :D Wishing you and your family the best Skip!! :D
Pat

brewmaster15
07-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Skip I am so happy for you all! I hope it all goes on without a hitch and you can enjoy being together. Though you may be officially a father in August you really were one to these children the moment you openned your heart and home to them.

Congratulations !
Al

Paul Sabucchi
07-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Congratulations to you and your better half
You are doing a fantastic thing that makes me believe there is still plenty of good left in mankind

Pices
07-19-2018, 09:16 PM
This story just makes my heart sing! Congratulations. With all the daily horrible news we get, I read this and it gives me hope. Congratulations! May this gift be returned to you exponentially!
Patty

snxtif
07-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Huge respect for that decision :angel:

Skip
10-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Forgot to Update.. OFFICIALLY ADOPTED!!!
Destiny, and my wonder twins Andrew and Desiree :)

Altum Nut
10-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Congratulations to you both Skip and Rosanna. Your 3 new charming kids look very happy and glad they found home into your loving family. As a father myself of 2 daughters they grow fast so try and cherish every day.
As they develop into teens they can sure drive parents to drink at times. Lol

...Ralph