PDA

View Full Version : Are snakeskins pepper free?

DeDe
10-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Simply Discus. I had Discus back in the mid 80's to mid-90's. I bought little quarter size guys from the breeder, Mr. John Fisher from Sarasota, FL. They were my first fish, first tank and I loved them. I had them for almost 10 years. No internet, no LFS that carried them so I switched to Goldfish. Fast forward...I miss my Discus! I'm going to get another Discus tank (55 gal) started. I want to avoid peppering. Do snakeskins pepper?

Clawhammer
10-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Yes. Only pigeon bloods pepper. Snakeskin is not a pigeon blood

Ryan925
10-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Yes. Only pigeon bloods pepper. Snakeskin is not a pigeon blood

+1

Also peppering is caused by environment. Peppering has really been minimized through selective breeding in the pigeon blood strains. Quality PB strains in a tank without a black bottom should show no signs of peppering other than potentially stress.

DeDe
10-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Far out!!! I was praying for a "No, they won't pepper." Thank you so very, very much!

warblad79
10-19-2017, 02:03 AM
I think you guys forgot to mentioned there's also called pigeon Snakeskin which is a pigeon based and they do have peppering.

Larry Bugg
10-19-2017, 10:51 AM
I think you guys forgot to mentioned there's also called pigeon Snakeskin which is a pigeon based and they do have peppering.

Correct. To say that ss don't pepper is incorrect. SS can be pigeon and non pigeon. A pigeon based SS can pepper just like a non ss pigeon.

brewmaster15
10-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Correct. To say that ss don't pepper is incorrect. SS can be pigeon and non pigeon. A pigeon based SS can pepper just like a non ss pigeon.

Exactly what they said.

al