PDA

View Full Version : Unique Filter Recommendations - Thoughts

spalding
10-31-2017, 12:56 PM
I pretty sure none of you know me. I joined this forum in 2006 and haven’t been back in many years. I’m no stranger to keeping discus and have had virtually every type of tank over the years. Right now I just have two salt water tanks - one 50 gallon reef tank and one 120 gallon FOWLR tank. I am THINKING of breaking down the 120 gallon (see photos) and converting it to a Discus tank. Currently, it is hooked up to a sump in my basement. The sump is a converted 40 gallon breeder tank. It uses a large sock filter a protein skimmer (I know – of no use for a discus tank), biological filter block, and is large enough for any kind of Flora/Fauna refugium I may like. The pump is a variable DC drive capable of 650 GPH circulation.
Now, FINALLY…I would like to convert the current sump into the filtration system for the discus. With this setup, what modifications might I make and what would you guys recommend I utilize in the sump? I’m thinking keep the sock filter. The sky’s the limit as far as any media containers I might include. With this much space for filtration, I’d like to get creative.

Ryan925
10-31-2017, 08:00 PM
I recently built a sump out of a 40b although it's not online yet. I chose to use poret instead of socks just because I hated the idea of changing them all the time. I built in a large bio section and also a wet/dry before return chamber.

For discus all you really need is good mechanical and lots of bio but the sky is the limit hence the beauty of a sump

spalding
11-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Thanks. I currently have a large ceramic bio block in there. Never tried this before but what do you think about washing it well, then reusing it? Or, what about not washing it, keeping the bacteria going in fresh water during the breakdown of the tank and reusing it? Do you think that there may be salt water pathogens that pose a problem?

Filip
11-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks. I currently have a large ceramic bio block in there. Never tried this before but what do you think about washing it well, then reusing it? Or, what about not washing it, keeping the bacteria going in fresh water during the breakdown of the tank and reusing it? Do you think that there may be salt water pathogens that pose a problem?

Hi Splading . Im glad that you have decided to start a discus tank and join our discus crew .
I'm not sure if the saltwater pathogens can pose threat to freshwater fish but I would sterilize and start fresh just to be on the safe side .
I'm hesitant too , whether saltwater Nitro bacteria would survive and do any good in freshwaters and vice versa .
I would just bleach the whole tank and equipment and start fresh and safe IIWY .
Good luck on your new aquarium journey .

spalding
11-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Hi Splading . Im glad that you have decided to start a discus tank and join our discus crew .
I'm not sure if the saltwater pathogens can pose threat to freshwater fish but I would sterilize and start fresh just to be on the safe side .
I'm hesitant too , whether saltwater Nitro bacteria would survive and do any good in freshwaters and vice versa .
I would just bleach the whole tank and equipment and start fresh and safe IIWY .
Good luck on your new aquarium journey .

Thanks Filip. I agree. As the saying goes: You’ll never regret doing the right thing.