PDA

View Full Version : Acclimation advice ?

Rosskeegan24
11-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Hello guys, tonight im picking up 6 2inch blue scorpion discus that are being shipped to me from another country.
Just wondering what the best acclimation procedure would be considering i dont know what ph they are coming from, drip acclimation, plop and drop or other ?
I know this is a beginner question but i dont want to take any risks.
Thanks in advance, Ross.

jmf3460
11-07-2017, 08:11 AM
I prefer the drip method. The main thing is that you are acclimating them into a quarantine tank correct??

Rosskeegan24
11-07-2017, 08:27 AM
I prefer the drip method. The main thing is that you are acclimating them into a quarantine tank correct??

Thanks for the input, and yes there going into a seperate system which is on its own.
Will be starting a grow out thread tonight, be sure to check it out!

Second Hand Pat
11-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Hello guys, tonight im picking up 6 2inch blue scorpion discus that are being shipped to me from another country.
Just wondering what the best acclimation procedure would be considering i dont know what ph they are coming from, drip acclimation, plop and drop or other ?
I know this is a beginner question but i dont want to take any risks.
Thanks in advance, Ross.

Hi Ross, what does your shipper recommend? When fish are shipped in bags the fish generate ammonia which causes the ph to drop in the bag (and renders the ammonia harmless to the fish). Discus handle going from a low ph to a higher ph pretty well so personally I favor the drop and plop method plus it helps to avoid ammonia burn after outside air hits the bag water.
Pat

Rosskeegan24
11-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Hi Ross, what does your shipper recommend? When fish are shipped in bags the fish generate ammonia which causes the ph to drop in the bag (and renders the ammonia harmless to the fish). Discus handle going from a low ph to a higher ph pretty well so personally I favor the drop and plop method plus it helps to avoid ammonia burn after outside air hits the bag water.
Pat
Hi pat , thanks for the response.
Unfortunatly the shipper does not give any advice to do with acclimation, and i agree that the plop and drop method is best for shipped fish ,however in this case in which im not sure of the parameters they are coming from , im hesitant to do it as i want to minimise shock.

sanjay21
11-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Pat

+1
I got fish from many sources and I always did drop and plop method-never had any problems. I do float the bags for 10mins prior to drop and plop. It minimizes the risk IMO, I understand the water parameters being different. But the water in your tank is way better than the ones they come in (I'm sure they are begging to get out of that as well lol )

White Worm
11-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Drop and plop after floating to equalize temp a little if the bag water is cold. ph rises quickly once bag is opened and ammonium turns to ammonia which can burns gills, skin and fins. As long as the bag water temp is similar to tank, you can take them out and put them into new tank right away.

Second Hand Pat
11-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Hi Ross, however you choose to do this. Please do not add the bag water to the tank.
Pat

gators111
11-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Definately, plop and drop. There will be a lot of ammonia in those bags the second they are opened up to the air.

Rosskeegan24
11-08-2017, 05:14 AM
Thanks for all the response, they came in from thailand last night (im in ireland) and they were begging to get out of the bag, huge journey for them. So i drained 50 percent of the water from the tank while floating them in their bags to avoid them lying on their sides. I then did a simple plop and drop, they all settledin fine and everyones ok this morning. Thanks for the advice again.
I will be starting a grow out thread on them now so be sure to follow it !:D

Filip
11-08-2017, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the response, they came in from thailand last night (im in ireland) and they were begging to get out of the bag, huge journey for them. So i drained 50 percent of the water from the tank while floating them in their bags to avoid them lying on their sides. I then did a simple plop and drop, they all settledin fine and everyones ok this morning. Thanks for the advice again.
I will be starting a grow out thread on them now so be sure to follow it !:D

Great news Ross .
I'm looking forward following your thread in "our tank journals " section .

brady
11-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Good news. Look forward to pics. What is your water like?
BTW, where in Ireland are you located ? My mom, God rest her soul, is from Cavan and
my dad, God rest his soul, is from Cork. I was raised in Cavan on my grandpop's faarm from the time I was 3 mts.
To 13 years old. They then came back to the US.
Jay Walsh

Rosskeegan24
11-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Good news. Look forward to pics. What is your water like?
BTW, where in Ireland are you located ? My mom, God rest her soul, is from Cavan and
my dad, God rest his soul, is from Cork. I was raised in Cavan on my grandpop's faarm from the time I was 3 mts.
To 13 years old. They then came back to the US.
Jay Walsh
Hi jay, I acctually live in cavan too, such a strange coincidence, I live in north cavan near ballyconnell, funny how small the world is haha. My water is quite good, high PH but unfortunatly the parameters can fluctuate depending on the time of year, but good to meet you man, hope i catch you on the forum more!
-Ross