PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fuji Red and peppering vs darkening

undel
11-07-2017, 04:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if fuji red discus pepper or darken. I have a faux rock background in my tank that make some of my discus a bit darker depending on where they are swimming. I was wondering if the fuji reds with their white faces turn grey, or just get a bit of light peppering when they encounter a darker environment?

Clawhammer
11-07-2017, 04:39 PM
They are pigeon blood based and can pepper, although this strain is cleaner genetically than some other PB based discus.

undel
11-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Thank you very much!

So their white faces won't go grey? They just might pepper a bit in a darker environment?

Filip
11-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Here is a pretty good picture example of how they may turn out combined with dark environment (all depending on their genetics , age and tank bootom colour ) :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126600-Breeding-tube-black-Face-and-breeding-tube-air-bubbles

Their darkening is defined solely as peppering because they are PB based strains although the whole head may appear grayish as seen on the picture.

undel
11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Thank you. That explains my confusion. I thought they were PB based, but I've seen photos of them going grey. I didn't realize peppering could look like that! I'm used to the black freckles.

I think I'll avoid the strain for now. I switched to a white sand bottom, but many of my fish are still reasonably dark because I have a large dark rock wall as the background. Will look into some albinos instead. :)