PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate from fertilizers vs Nitrate from BB

Jack L
11-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Is the nitrate that results from dumping in fertilizers for plants just as bad for Discus as the nitrate generated by the biofilter?

bluelagoon
11-20-2017, 09:23 AM
NO3 and NO3 look the same to me.

Clawhammer
11-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Nitrate from ferts being less harmful than those from the nitrification cycle is conventional wisdom in the planted tank world, but I have no idea why that would be the case or the science behind it. Great topic Jack, I hope to learn more on this.

Jack L
11-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Yeah that was what I was thinking too but just wanted to bounce off a sounding board. I would post a picture of the color of the test tubes and Trays when I tested nitrates but I'm afraid you would fall off your chair and get hurt

bluelagoon
11-20-2017, 11:47 AM
All nitrates come from organic matter.The chemical structure is the same.1 nitrogen,3 oxygen atoms.

FirstTime_DiscusKeeper
11-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Im actually getting my plants today as well as liquid fertilizers if this could be an issue for the discus i might do half what is required.

Clawhammer
11-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Maybe the thinking goes that nitrates produced as a result of the nitrogen cycle indicate a dirty tank and are a gauge of other fish waste byproducts, whereas nitrates from ferts aren't associated with any other by products or a build up of dissolved organic compounds.

FirstTime_DiscusKeeper
11-20-2017, 03:33 PM
So I emailed the where I got my plants from he is very well versed in plants n discus don't think I could put the store down but he makes his own fertilizers he said if you follow instructions based on the plants/there requirements it should not ulter the lvls in the tank. I told him these plants r for my discus said shouldnt b an issue

bluelagoon
11-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Have a look a EI dosing.This method worked well for me.But my discus at that time were 5 inches and bigger.I also made my own ferts from hydroponic shops.They are recipes on line.