PDA

View Full Version : Remembering those that moved on....

brewmaster15
11-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Hi all,
Ive been reading alot of old posts lately.Posts that go back to 2002,2003.... Doing so really does help me figure out directions today.Its weird though as they seem like posts made yesterday. If youve been a member any length of time you have seen members come and go.They move on.Some leave the hobby,some take a break, some literally pass away.I have seen many many like this.Some of these leave a mark. They leave memories and you still think of them from time to time. Id like a thread where we call them out.Some probably still visit here... they stop by once in a while.If you have any of these memorable friends shout out to them. As the forums owner and admin my list is long..and it will get longer the more I re-read old threads. I will start out though with a few...
Kaceyo
Tony S
Bikhu
Dark Discus
cary strong(he is back in the hobby but face booker now)
wahter
carol_Roberts
Paul Butler
Dan Espinoza(Elite Aquaria)
RandalB
henryD
Sly
Aloha_Discus
Barb Newell(Rest in Peace Barb)
Roclement
Condor
Tad
oodi
Grillmaster
alpine
Jim_shedden
AAdiscus
hexed
Bainbridge Mike
karinS
Ralph
Steve_warner
fcdiscus (rest in peace)
Rich_long
Ashay
patrick
fred_22
Don_Lee
Tyler
Pat_in_NC
gary1218
mench
Jeff
Paul_Burney
discusgeo
darcy
Goldfish_in_a_bowl

I could go on... and will I am sure.Far too many memories here.Many good friends and good discussions. I remember you all and always will.

al

discuspaul
11-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Very interesting 'remembrance' topic, Al.
I often think along these lines as well, even though my forum tenure has only been just over 7 years.

One member that immediately came to mind to me upon reading this was "Toni" (Strawberry Blonde) - I always enjoyed her straightforward & interesting posts.
She came to mind because I couldn't recall her having posted on the forum for around the past year or more. (Although her profile shows her last post here was in May of this year.)
Are you still with us Toni ?

At any rate, I for one would like to see more names placed here - it's good to reminisce.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2017, 01:07 PM
KorbiDoc, Dottie Miller founding member of NADA
Mat with one t, Larry Matencheck, my favorite bad boy

smsimcik
11-20-2017, 06:02 PM
KorbiDoc, Dottie Miller founding member of NADA
Mat with one t, Larry Matencheck, my favorite bad boy

Ah yes, Shin Shin. He was such a bad boy he got himself banned. Too bad, he was a wealth of no nonsense information.
Met him at NADA in Irving, Texas a few years ago. He was very nice in person.

LizStreithorst
11-20-2017, 06:20 PM
I miss him more that anyone who no longer posts. At the last NADA he judged he sat down at an an empty table toward the back. He was a judge. I don't know why he was not sitting at the "important people's" table. I walked in, spotted him and sat down next to him. He said, "I wondered who would choose to sit with me". He and I have always had respect for one other. He knows that I have a good eye and I know that he as an excellent and fair judge.

He was banned for the last time after having been banned and forgiven 3 times(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) after he went off on some moron who is no longer here. She wanted to decorate her Discus tank with Barbie dolls. Just think of all the knowledge we have missed out on because he's no longer here.

FischAutoTechGarten
11-20-2017, 06:38 PM
I remember:
SmokeyS (lived somewhere in the north country Alaska/Cananda/NorthWestUSA? an older hobbyist who was always adding tanks and fish)

Second Hand Pat
11-20-2017, 09:26 PM
There are some members I miss, TURQ64, NanDiscus, Eddie, Chad Hughes to name a few.
Pat

Pardal
11-21-2017, 01:38 AM
Pat I miss Eddie too , as well as other like Vera.
Julian.

ssevasta
11-21-2017, 02:26 AM
I could rattle off a long list of names too after all these years but a few that come to mind are Bob tools, John Nicholson, David Rose, and Apistomaster.

adrian31@outlook.com
11-22-2017, 09:11 AM
He was banned for the last time after having been banned and forgiven 3 times(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) after he went off on some moron who is no longer here. She wanted to decorate her Discus tank with Barbie dolls. Just think of all the knowledge we have missed out on because he's no longer here.

wow that is too funny...thanks for the laugh with my morning coffee:)

discuspaul
11-22-2017, 12:12 PM
There are some members I miss, TURQ64, NanDiscus, Eddie, Chad Hughes to name a few.
Pat

Yes Pat, I also miss Eddie, Chad Hughes, and TURQ64 too (First name Gary wasn't it ?)

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Yes Pat, I also miss Eddie, Chad Hughes, and TURQ64 too (First name Gary wasn't it ?)

Yes Paul, it is Gary. He is still active on FB but is totally out of fish now.

FischAutoTechGarten
05-23-2018, 04:54 PM
I remember guys like Tom Barr and George Booth. They weren't huge contributors here on Simply, but they were huge 'sharers of knowledge' regarding all things planted aquarium back in the day... (cerca 1992 - to the millennium). Before the WWW explosion, we find there contributions in the Aquatic Plants Digest email lists, some usenet groups that I've long forgotten. Eventually Erik Olson compiled all of their stuff on theKrib.com (originally theKrib.net) and it's all still there.

Fun to remember them. If guys like Kasper Horst and Horst E Kipper (authors of the Optimum Aquarium) were still around, imagine how much fun it would be to talk about planted aquariums now with the technology available to us.

Back to Simply members. I remember a guy named David C or Dave C back on DAAH (Discus as a Hobby... Chad Hughes's 'the other discus site' which was begun by Jim Quarles). Eventually he participated here on SimplyDiscus as well. Sometimes he was a bit direct on DAAH to say the least, but I miss his contributions.

LizStreithorst
05-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Last time I talked to Dave C he was no longer involved in Discus. He was playing with making money on the stock market which held no allure to me at all. Dave C was a smart guy and DaaH was like the wild west. I enjoyed my time there.

brewmaster15
05-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Dave C was a smart guy.. sometimes a bit of a wise guy too but I like him alot. He knew the art of arguing a point with intelligence not just personal attacks. Its a rare gift. Members like him made for great discussions...not always friendly ones but thoughtful ones.

al

dynhd1
05-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Good fish people,,,,, Ron and Robin Futrell

smsimcik
05-25-2018, 01:37 PM
I bought discus from the Futrells back around 2001 when they lived in Dallas. They sold out their fish and tanks and disappeared shortly after that. I always wondered where they went.

JamesW
05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Does anyone recall a lady called Gloria? Maybe Gloria G? When I was growing up I was on a different forum that she ran was the moderator which she left to join the Simply community.