View Full Version : 90 gallon tank - How many Fish

Shadow7x
11-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys .... I have a 90 Gallon tank stocked with the following
10 - 4 inch discus
34 -blue Neon tetras
2 -black ghost
2 pelcos

I'm planning to get rid of one discus one black ghost and aff 4 pelcos ,would this be overkill ? If so what would be the optimum number of fishes ?

Ps: 90 gallon tank with 450 gallon per hour canister , two large pieces of drift wood , one huge lava rock and half inch white substrate

Shadow7x
11-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Ryan925
11-22-2017, 01:06 PM
I have 8 in my 75

Shadow7x
11-22-2017, 09:41 PM
I have 8 in my 75
So is it okay to have the other fishes around?

Ryan925
11-22-2017, 09:49 PM
So is it okay to have the other dishes around?

Think it depends on a lot of factors. Are you saying you are thinking of adding 4 plecos? Pleco greatly add to bioload

Shadow7x
11-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Ya , I thought they keep the tank alge/ diatom free ..

Ryan925
11-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Ya , I thought they keep the tank alge/ diatom free ..

Typically find that plecos will eat much more food than they eat algae. Aside from that they poop ALOT. You are talking about 6 the plecos in that tank with a full stock of discus? That seems like a very large bioload to me.

Keep in mind for discus to grow to their potential they eat a lot which means they poop a lot. Water quality also has a direct effect on their growth so understocking is always better.

If you have algae and diatom issues I would try to determine the source and fix that rather than add more plecos. Light and nutrients are usually your issue. Adding more of a bioload will most likely make things worse

Adam S
11-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Should probably ditch both ghost knives. Things are beautiful, but they will eventually need bigger quarters.

Shadow7x
11-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Typically find that plecos will eat much more food than they eat algae. Aside from that they poop ALOT. You are talking about 6 the plecos in that tank with a full stock of discus? That seems like a very large bioload to me.

Keep in mind for discus to grow to their potential they eat a lot which means they poop a lot. Water quality also has a direct effect on their growth so understocking is always better.

If you have algae and diatom issues I would try to determine the source and fix that rather than add more plecos. Light and nutrients are usually your issue. Adding more of a bioload will most likely make things worse
Okay I'll cut out the pelcos then , the diatom issue I think is because the tank is newly set up ,couldn't properly pinpoint.

Shadow7x
11-23-2017, 04:18 AM
Should probably ditch both ghost knives. Things are beautiful, but they will eventually need bigger quarters.
The tank is 4 feet In length, no chances for the ghost ? They are soo adorable