PDA

View Full Version : how many discus should you add at once

matt2426
11-27-2017, 07:59 PM
So I have a 125 gallon tank that has been cycled for 6 months or so and ive been slowing stocking in with community fish over that time until I have enough $ to make a discus order. I have 40 cardinal tetras 20 rummy nose tetras and 5 german blue I have a fluval fx6 and an aquaclear 110 for filtration I'm thinking about adding 10 discus can I add all of them at once do you think my bio load can handle it or would it be safer to do to separate orders I'm guessing I can get all 10 just have to do large daily water changes for a while correct?

Ryan925
11-27-2017, 08:22 PM
So I have a 125 gallon tank that has been cycled for 6 months or so and ive been slowing stocking in with community fish over that time until I have enough $ to make a discus order. I have 40 cardinal tetras 20 rummy nose tetras and 5 german blue I have a fluval fx6 and an aquaclear 110 for filtration I'm thinking about adding 10 discus can I add all of them at once do you think my bio load can handle it or would it be safer to do to separate orders I'm guessing I can get all 10 just have to do large daily water changes for a while correct?

It's best to add them all at once from the same source. No doubt you will have a mini cycle so wcs will be very important until the bio catches up

RogueDiscus
11-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Would love to see pics of your tank and what that stocking looks like!

matt2426
11-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Would love to see pics of your tank and what that stocking looks like!

113368113369 heres a few. not the best pictures I don't have a good camera but I'm making progress with the tank

matt2426
11-27-2017, 10:35 PM
It's best to add them all at once from the same source. No doubt you will have a mini cycle so wcs will be very important until the bio catches up

Thanks Ryan that's what I was wondering if I would run into a mini cycle but ill just do big water changes for a while

Ryan925
11-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Thanks Ryan that's what I was wondering if I would run into a mini cycle but ill just do big water changes for a while

Yep large daily. Prime should help detoxify in between. I also have had good results with stability as a supplement during that process

Phillydubs
11-28-2017, 10:07 AM
+1 add them all...

Nice scape and set-up as well! Going to look awesome w some big discus in there!!

But def. get all the ones you want, don't leave room for the magical 1 or 2 more cause you will just give yourself a headache

Mariowa
11-28-2017, 03:24 PM

+1

Mariowa
11-28-2017, 03:24 PM
113368113369 heres a few. not the best pictures I don't have a good camera but I'm making progress with the tank

very nice setup

RogueDiscus
11-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Nice tank. I aspire to a large display tank someday. Wondering if you plan on adding any cats or corries or other ground feeder.

matt2426
11-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Nice tank. I aspire to a large display tank someday. Wondering if you plan on adding any cats or corries or other ground feeder.

forgot to add I have a few l pleco I have a gold nugget in there and and a green phantom but not planning on adding anything else other than discus think I'm well stocked as soon as I add the discus

matt2426
11-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Yep large daily. Prime should help detoxify in between. I also have had good results with stability as a supplement during that process

Ryan how often do you use the stability is it just a one time deal when I add the discus or is it something to add more frequent thanks

Phillydubs
11-28-2017, 05:57 PM
forgot to add I have a few l pleco I have a gold nugget in there and and a green phantom but not planning on adding anything else other than discus think I'm well stocked as soon as I add the discus

Good plan... what type of discus are you going with? A mix or single strain?

matt2426
11-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Good plan... what type of discus are you going with? A mix or single strain?

Phil I'm going with a mix group I'm going through Kenny probally 3 spotted 2 pegions 2 solid reds and 1 or 2 solid blues theres others I want but only have so much room lol

Phillydubs
11-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Hey you got 50+ more gallons than me so be happy!! LOL...

I know it is hard try to decide and do it all at once but you are doing the best thing for sure. Just try and view other tanks that have the look and strains you want so you get a feel for it all...

If you are like me then you bounce back and forth between wanting a single strain uniformed group or a mixed bag.... always tough... good thing is you can not go wrong!!!

matt2426
11-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Hey you got 50+ more gallons than me so be happy!! LOL...

I know it is hard try to decide and do it all at once but you are doing the best thing for sure. Just try and view other tanks that have the look and strains you want so you get a feel for it all...

If you are like me then you bounce back and forth between wanting a single strain uniformed group or a mixed bag.... always tough... good thing is you can not go wrong!!!

Ya phil you are right ive changed my mind some many times of what strains that I want to keep but I think I'm set on a mixed group I might have to start another tank up in the future after this one so many I want lol

matt2426
11-28-2017, 07:08 PM
but thanks for the tips Phil I will keep you all posted when the tank is finished with discus in it!

matt2426
11-28-2017, 08:53 PM
very nice setup

Thank you its coming along

RogueDiscus
11-29-2017, 12:48 AM

+1 Can't go wrong with Kenny. I know what Phil means about strain mixes, which is why I have 3 fairly distinct groups in 75's.

Ryan925
11-29-2017, 01:16 AM
+1 Can't go wrong with Kenny. I know what Phil means about strain mixes, which is why I have 3 fairly distinct groups in 75's.

+1 I have a full mixed group from Kenny now after a year and a half I am picturing a single strain tank

matt2426
11-29-2017, 03:25 AM
+1 I have a full mixed group from Kenny now after a year and a half I am picturing a single strain tank

ya I'm sure ill change my mind again but ryan you mentioned you use stability when you add a large group of discus to a tank is that just a one time use or do I need to use it more often

Ryan925
11-29-2017, 08:35 PM
ya I'm sure ill change my mind again but ryan you mentioned you use stability when you add a large group of discus to a tank is that just a one time use or do I need to use it more often

It's designed to use daily to help cycle tanks or can be used as a maintenance dose.

I don't use as a maintenance dose but have used after substrate change and things like that

I used when initially cycling my tank and seemed to speed up the process.

I realise the jury is still out on bottled BB but I and others here seems to have seen results with it. Can't hurt that's for sure but I would still stay on top of wcs to be safe

tonytheboss1
11-30-2017, 01:56 AM
:bandana: BEAUTIFUL TANK!! I kinda started my 125g the same way, a few various tetras, blue & gold rams, couple of striped & spotted Raphael cats. Added 8 (4- 4.5) discus in one shot (same source Hans). One thing extra, http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/one-only-nitrifying-bacteria.html . There are people on both side of the fence on this product but I had nothing but success. No spikes, no worries. 'T'

matt2426
11-30-2017, 08:58 PM
:bandana: BEAUTIFUL TANK!! I kinda started my 125g the same way, a few various tetras, blue & gold rams, couple of striped & spotted Raphael cats. Added 8 (4- 4.5) discus in one shot (same source Hans). One thing extra, http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/one-only-nitrifying-bacteria.html . There are people on both side of the fence on this product but I had nothing but success. No spikes, no worries. 'T'

Ok thanks think ill give it a try dont think it could hurt especially since i think im going to add ten discus