PDA

View Full Version : Red Checkerboard?

Gregkarr09
12-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Thats what I was told these are? Would you all agree? None the less my favorite strain by far!

Phillydubs
12-05-2017, 01:09 PM
There are many "fancy" names out there for strains, depending on the breeder, importer etc. But I think what you were told was accurate, either way.... WHO CARES!

Gorgeous fish, glad you got them!

Akili
12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
There are many "fancy" names out there for strains, depending on the breeder, importer etc. But I think what you were told was accurate, either way.... WHO CARES!

Gorgeous fish, glad you got them!I agree, and they are within the "Red Checkerboard" family.

lnky
12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
That's what they look like to me. I'd love some fry if they ever breed :D

4qua
05-14-2018, 11:11 AM
They all look great

rickztahone
05-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Very nice looking discus. Checkerboard pigeons seems accurate

Trissy1987
03-19-2019, 03:57 PM
What’s the difference to other checkaboards ?

RogueDiscus
03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Hi Trissy,
Checkerboard Pigeon is a common strain name for the red/white pattern that has been developed in the pigeon blood line. Pigeon blood being the major discus branch they are part of. There are variations and refinements of it with other names, but they are pigeon bloods. The pattern has been developed in albinos, and in yellower varieties, often called golden something.

CliffsDiscus
03-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Checkerboard is for the pattern. I first saw the pattern on what Schmit Focke call his Discus fish
Checkerboard back in the late 70's to 80's they were
sold by Aquarium Rio in Germany. The patterns were
individual blue spots.
The red checkerboard pigeon show that the spots are connected sometimes these spots merge forming into a red line as they grow into adulthood.
They were probably checkerboard pattern but as they
grew older the checkerboard pattern is lost.

Cliff

FishFanMan
04-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Could they be more like red dragons?

Dicsus34
01-12-2023, 05:08 PM
There’s different types of checkerboards. Those are called red maps. There is a big difference between a normal checkerboard and red maps.

dspeers
01-12-2023, 06:06 PM
what is the difference? Visually these fish are made up of red spots, lines and enclosed polygons. When most are enclosed they are called checkerboards: if most not, then maze or sometime dragons; if most are spots then leopards. Are they not all derived from pigeons? Discus nomenclature cracks me up. About as logical as medical nomenclature.

Dicsus34
01-13-2023, 05:23 PM
More open connected lateral lines on red maps. Checkerboards are more compact connected lateral and horizontal lines showing less white on their bodies. The red maps also seem to have more blue around their fins. Sure there are different names for all these strains but there’s a significant difference between let’s say a leopard discus compared to a super panthera which are both a type of spotted leopard. So that’s why there’s so many different names. They have to give a difference in the fish. A lot of from the same “family” but there’s a lot of different types of those strains in that family that were bred with other discus to create certain colors and patterns