PDA

View Full Version : is it true that german discus get larger than asian breed discus?

matt2426
12-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Is there any truth to that I was reading somewhere that german discus get larger than some of the Asian strains just wonder what your guys experience is with that I have seen pictures of huge stendker fish and huge fish from Kenny also. thanks

zhuls1
12-10-2017, 08:22 AM
I dont think there is any real truth here, in fact, the biggest discus I have seen were asians. They belong to a local hobbyist and are massive discus mostly from NA discus and one from tony tan discus, a couple from Martin Ng.

tonytheboss1
12-10-2017, 12:17 PM
:book: I'm far from an expert, but I believe & have seen "MONSTERS" from both. Breeding, genetics & general husbandry all play a factor in final size of a specimen whether German or Asian. Sometimes the 'source of the info' is 'pitched' to have you favor one over the other for whatever reason. "T"

LizStreithorst
12-10-2017, 12:22 PM
In Asia they have a trick to make show quality Discus into huge show quality Discus. They are fed testosterone which can result in infertility or if you're lucky, vastly lower fertility. A lot, but not all, of the huge German Discus I've seen are actually old fish.

Hart24601
12-15-2017, 01:14 PM
I am no expert and just have a few strains, but I have both discus hans (3 strains) and tony tan (2 strains) and both strains I have of Asians are larger than the germans, however there does seems to be a size difference in the strains which I could see impacting the ultimate end size more - but still at least for me the Asians are larger.

matt2426
12-15-2017, 06:36 PM
ok thanks everyone for the reply I didn't really think there was much of a difference just something I read about before but ive seen huge discus from both

Willie
12-15-2017, 10:04 PM
The fact is that older, more established strains are bigger. The newest one, which primarily come from Asia, are more inbred - thereby are smaller. So it's not European vs Asian, but traditional vs new strains.

Willie

warblad79
12-15-2017, 11:05 PM
Not true at all, my Asian Giant Flora that I raised from eggs to this size is actually close to 8" for only 2 years old. it all depends on genetic, husbandry, and food.

matt2426
12-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Not true at all, my Asian Giant Flora that I raised from eggs to this size is actually close to 8" for only 2 years old. it all depends on genetic, husbandry, and food.

nice fish!