PDA

View Full Version : Discus growth?

HappyFace
12-29-2017, 02:09 AM
If you feed an adult discus 4 times a day will it grow even if it's a few years old or do they stop growing at a specific age? I have a few discus I only fed once a day for a year and they maintained a healthy weight and size but didnt grow any more. Now I want them and my new discus to get huge. I have the tank cycling 4 gallons an hour fresh filtered water so they're getting huge amount of fresh water and eating like pigs. Will they grow or just get fat lol?

bluelagoon
12-29-2017, 09:08 AM
I guess I'm reading this wrong or don't quite understand the post.You are saying that your cycling 4 gal.of fresh water an hour?I think your saying water turn over.If it is filtered water running though a filter in your tank;it is not considered fresh.Discus are done growing for the most part around two years old.Pics would help.http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plugins_en/pdfs/1.5_Alter_und_Groessee_unserer_Diskusfische_en.pdf

Phillydubs
12-29-2017, 10:29 AM
I think they are done growing by now and are what they are and are stunted. Stunted is like a dirty word here cause most think football or odd shaped looking.

However an adult 4” discus is stunted as a healthy full grown discus will get much bigger than 4”

HappyFace
12-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Hi Mervin. Sorry for my bad wording. We have city water from a garden spigot adapted to 1/4 hose with a filter attached that I change out 1-2 times a month and this runs through a hole in our wall and into the tank then we have a 1/2 drain line that drains the old and excess water so nothing overflows. The water coming in is set to 4 gallons per hour, approx. 700 gallons a week. Our tank is 200 gallon with a 90 gallon sump.

HappyFace
12-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi Phil. They are all 6-7.5 inches. I bought them as adults, all round no footballs then when they reached the size I wanted I started doing maintenance feeding only not focused on growth at all. Now I would like them to get a bit bigger and I wondered if they might grow more.

Phillydubs
12-29-2017, 11:25 AM
You may see them beef up or fatten up with more feeding but as far as growth I think your guys are done. But they sound darn big to begin with.

bluelagoon
12-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Nice length.

HappyFace
12-29-2017, 03:16 PM
You may see them beef up or fatten up with more feeding but as far as growth I think your guys are done. But they sound darn big to begin with.

I see. Yes they are still a good size even if they don't grow anymore. I keep looking at show discus videos though. They are so impressive not just in color and conformation but also size. I was kind of hoping to turn my discus into dinner plates.