PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filters

zippy
12-30-2017, 12:06 PM
How frequently do you change your sponge filters ?
I change about 80 gals daily from my 90 gal BB tank. The tank has 10 4-5" discus in it and a HOB filter. The water always seems cloudy.
Zippy

Willie
12-30-2017, 03:02 PM
I run sponge filters in all my tanks, no HOB's. Each tank contains an excessive number of double stacked Hydro V's. The tanks get 100% W/C daily. But even if I go away for a week, when I come back the water is always clear.

Is your tank fully cycled? Do you use conditioned water, since tap water can be cloudy at times? Sponge filters are not great at mechanical filtration, so you won't get that crystal clear, discus floating in air, appearance. But the water should not be cloudy.

I squeeze out my sponge filters once a week and they're invariably quite dirty. The sponge filters last > 1 year. I've been switching the old ones out to the large pore size versions just because they're more sturdy. Performance is identical.

Willie

donnacona
01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
I don't use any HOB filter either. I use round sponge filters with power heads

Adam S
01-02-2018, 07:51 PM
If you're truly "changing" your sponge filters, you might as well use an air stone. If you're talking about rinsing them out, maybe twice a year? Poret and other reticulated foams will last many years, especially if you don't wring them out like a towel when you clean them.

DaveFDiscus
01-07-2018, 10:40 PM
What size is the HOB filter? AC 110's are great, never been a problem for me.

JimmyBanks
01-08-2018, 03:02 AM
What does HOB stand for?

Adam S
01-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Hang-on back