PDA

View Full Version : How stressful is shipment for discus?

CammieTime
12-30-2017, 07:40 PM
I get all my fish from SD sponsors, shipped next day air priority overnight. I have never had a dead on arrival, but did have one once that laid flat on the bottom after I put him in my QT tank and even though he eventually did swim around, he never fully recovered and then died - the shipper replaced him for free, shipping included.

Usually I get three or four that don't eat and require heat treatment for a few days to get them to eat. Maybe that kills internal parasites that took hold while the fish was stressed during shipment, I don't know. It's not the water as I test that religiously and half the new batch eats like pigs.

How much does shipment affect discus?

jeep
12-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Shipping is stressful. I have found that if a package says "live fish" it will be tossed, thrown, kicked and even stomped on. This is why I prefer airport to airport same day shipping.

If that's not possible, then I always acclimate them to temp and water conditions, add about 1/4 cup salt per 10 gallons and also add about 2 TBS hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons, then slowly raise the temp to around 88-90. Keep the temp up for about a week and the other stuff will dissipate through regular water changes...

HappyFace
12-30-2017, 10:21 PM
Shipping is stressful. I have found that if a package says "live fish" it will be tossed, thrown, kicked and even stomped on. This is why I prefer airport to airport same day shipping.

If that's not possible, then I always acclimate them to temp and water conditions, add about 1/4 cup salt per 10 gallons and also add about 2 TBS hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons, then slowly raise the temp to around 88-90. Keep the temp up for about a week and the other stuff will dissipate through regular water changes...

I went to pickup a huge live koi at UPS once. I was so worried about it being on a truck I thought picking it up in person right after they opened their office would be better. The guy behind the counter about 55yrs old clearly could see it said LIVE FISH on the box and he hit the box in front of me 3 times really hard and said " here ya go!" I was so upset I was speechless and ran out with my poor fish. I agree the words live fish tempts people to act badly. I wish we had airport to airport delivery available in our area.

Larry Bugg
12-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Sure shipping is stressful for fish but if done properly it is usually not a problem. I've never lost a discus due to shipping. I have many times had one lay flat on the bottom for a few hours or more but they have always bounce back quickly. No acclimation for me. I want them out of the bag and into my clean water as quickly as possible. Always great results.

warblad79
12-31-2017, 01:58 AM
Shipping is very stressful especially for large fish. I shipped three jumbo 2 weeks ago and one of them didn't make it. This is the first one died on me since I started shipping 4 months ago.

CANAMONSTER
01-01-2018, 10:31 PM
It's all about the the packaging and fish prep. If done right and from experience never have to worry .

alcastro
01-02-2018, 01:01 AM
The way is shipped is very important, clean and plenty water, fish is purged, heated insulated styrofoam box insures a better chance AND they will get stressed but like Larry said into a clean water tank they go, not a community tank that lacks husbandry

HappyFace
01-02-2018, 04:16 PM
I've received at least 40 shipments of fish this year (mostly koi) and not a single loss. Most fish adjust within 1-3 hours, some lay at the bottom of the tank for a day or 2 and others are happy right away, swimming and eating great.

I had a koi that was delayed and held over 2017 memorial weekend in the back of a hot UPS truck docked out back of the building in over 90 degree weather. We thought we'd be holding a memorial funeral for him since it had been 5 days he was in transit but he arrived healthy and happy, ready to eat. Each fish is different. Most of them come around with good care.