PDA

View Full Version : How to relax discus during water changes

Braxton
01-03-2018, 12:38 PM
I've had this batch of discus for around 9 months now, and every time I do a water change they dart around and get scared running into rocks and damaging themselves. Are there any tips to calm them down during a water change?

sanjay21
01-03-2018, 01:41 PM
What time of the day do you the water change ? and do they act normal during feeding times or other time ?

Braxton
01-03-2018, 10:20 PM
I've tried in morning and at night after feedings. They act normal during feeding times and every other time, it's just when water change starts they start darting around hitting everything.

Adam S
01-03-2018, 10:40 PM
What's your lighting situation? Shadows are a big no go for most fish.

Kyla
01-04-2018, 12:36 AM
My guys were really skittish and scared of banging around in the tank. I started closing the lid loudly and tapping my ring against the tank during feedings. I think it helped, they associated the sound with food. They don't particularly love it when I do a water change but they are kind of curious and don't hide now. I purposely try not to be careful with my movements anymore. In the beginning I tiptoed by the tank and they flipped out! Now I stomp around and they beg for food. I think of it like pretending not to notice if my niece trips - when I make a big deal of it she might cry, but if I don't make a big deal she just gets back up and continues playing. I've had mine longer too... maybe yours just need more time? Although 9 months seems like a enough...

Willie
01-04-2018, 06:02 PM
You'll find that putting in decorations provides hiding places and make discus more apt to hide. In a barebottom tank, there's no place to hide and the fish gets used to seeing us. After a couple of months of acclimation, all my discus will come to the front of the tank when I show up - because that's when the food happens!

While it may be counter intuitive, discus react strongly to small vs large water changes. With small changes, the tank water quality has significantly worsened compared to fresh water. Lots of us here will tell you that our discus revel in 100% water changes.

Willie

sanjay21
01-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Lots of good advises above. One more thing I would like to add is at what height is your tank at, I observed tanks at the ground/bottom level if you are stacking tanks are prone to be more skittish. Discus also get scared when the tanks are placed right next to the door and you walk right in with all the hoses and stuff.

Paul Sabucchi
01-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Had mine almost 4 months in a B.B. tank now, doing daily 2/3 w.c., syphon and total wipedown at 8pm. They bunch up but basically not bothered

Filip
01-06-2018, 09:29 AM
I've had this batch of discus for around 9 months now, and every time I do a water change they dart around and get scared running into rocks and damaging themselves. Are there any tips to calm them down during a water change?

Darting right after a water change sounds like some irritant in the new water to me .
Do you age your water ?
Do you agitate/aerate during aging water ?
What % of water do you change ?
Do you use conditioners/ dechlorinators?

Too many dissolved gasses or pH swings during WCs bothers them a lot of you do straight tap .
Chlorine and heavy metals are irritants too if you do not use conditioners .

wannafish
01-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Hello,
I read on SD somewhere that you don't want to feed
before a water change. I think the fish are in a relaxed
mode while eating and they are still foraging for food
a long time after the food is gone. So when you disrupt
this activity by doing a water change it freaks them out.
Jeff

adrian31@outlook.com
01-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Hello,
I read on SD somewhere that you don't want to feed
before a water change. I think the fish are in a relaxed
mode while eating and they are still foraging for food
a long time after the food is gone. So when you disrupt
this activity by doing a water change it freaks them out.
Jeff

I wait for a while after all the food is gone and they're settled once again. But I didn't always do this and I don't remember that it made a big difference. The reason I do it now is to give them all chance to poop before I start my cleanup.