PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this Discus

jjduen
01-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Take a look at this discus. Parents were Virgin Reds.

What would you call it. It is about 5.5" in diameter.113776

discuspaul
01-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Sorry John - photo is taken in poor light - there's no way to tell what that discus' true coloration is..... but if both parents were Virgin Reds, then you'd call it a Virgin Red, even if there are nuances, or even significant differences, from the normal VR coloration due to unknown parentage of the breeding pair.

RogueDiscus
01-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Hi John,
Like Paul said, it's really hard to tell much from your pic. Can you post more? I suspect your question comes from its dark appearance. It would be good to see better pics.

Larry Bugg
01-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Like Paul and Steve said, we can't tell much from the pic. How old is it? Some take up to a year or more to finish with their pattern and color. If it doesn't look like a Virgin Red then I would call it a Virgin Red throw back which refers to throwing back to the genetics of the parents lineage. I have to humbly differ from Paul here. If it doesn't really resemble a Virgin Red then I would not call it a Virgin Red.

discuspaul
01-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Conceded, Larry.
But given the need to call it something, then only 'Virgin Red throwback' would really do, along with a brief explanation as to the reason why, if need be.