PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "real seller" of this exact discus?

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 04:58 PM
I really want this exact rainbow background spotted discus. Does anyone know who's fish this is and what it's called? I believe it's an eruption but it doesn't look like most eruptions to me. I bought 2 of these discus (this is the picture they used in their advertisement) and ended up getting 2 totally different discus (see pictures). The discus I got didn't even have spots. They have squiggly lines. Also, does anyone know if this discus variety is prone to banding/jail bar stripes? The seller acted like any fish I get would look like what he sent me and it would always have a propensity for banding.

Ryan925
01-07-2018, 05:05 PM
I would say a fish would look much different out of the water and under certain lighting.

I am no expert on strains. Could be eruption maybe leopard. The two you have look like leopards and the one on the left maybe leopard SS

Stress bars are a trait of all barred fish. Pigeon blood strains would be the exception to bars

warblad79
01-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Where did you ordered your fish?

rickztahone
01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
All of these are leopards. Some are 9 bar and 14 bar SS. You have a mix of both here. My group of 25 was a mix between eruption leopards, leopards and some Turks. Keep in mind, they all came from the same parents. Leopards don't breed true and as a seller, they should have separated the different ones from one another.

Personally (probably biased) I love the eruptions I had that came from Mr. Goh Eng Khoon.

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 05:42 PM
I would say a fish would look much different out of the water and under certain lighting.

I am no expert on strains. Could be eruption maybe leopard. The two you have look like leopards and the one on the left maybe leopard SS

Stress bars are a trait of all barred fish. Pigeon blood strains would be the exception to bars

Thank you Ryan. I guess I will avoid this strain since I don't like banding.

Where did you ordered your fish?

From someone I later found out steals pictures from other discus breeders and puts them on his site to sell discus -Discus.com. Some of their discus are really nice. He doesn't need to steal pictures. I hate getting a discus that doesn't look anything like the picture. I'm wondering who the real breeder of the discus is.

All of these are leopards. Some are 9 bar and 14 bar SS. You have a mix of both here. My group of 25 was a mix between eruption leopards, leopards and some Turks. Keep in mind, they all came from the same parents. Leopards don't breed true and as a seller, they should have separated the different ones from one another.

Personally (probably biased) I love the eruptions I had that came from Mr. Goh Eng Khoon.

Hi Rick. I checked him out, very nice. I wish I liked the banding. :(

RogueDiscus
01-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Hi Heidi,
Looks like you have a couple nice fish, but unfortunately you have learned what several have here, that the dealer was not very reputable. Just for fun, I looked at Kenny's last November shipment pics, one of the first red-eagle pics, and I believe the hands holding the fish are the same, although a bit older? in the Nov pics. I think that's Forrest, Kenny's Malaysian supplier. I think he buys quality fish from several sources, as well as raising his own. It looks like an eruption leopard to me.

Maybe I should take up palm reading in my retirement.

I think the lighting has a lot to do with the rainbow and shine difference. I have seen your other post about color changes though. It would be nice to know what to do to maintain the best color, and I think it might vary for different strains.

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Wow Steve! Same palm lines! You're good. :)

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Hi Heidi,

I think the lighting has a lot to do with the rainbow and shine difference. I have seen your other post about color changes though. It would be nice to know what to do to maintain the best color, and I think it might vary for different strains.

I agree.

I think my discus get way more light than most people's. I don't know of anyone else with a white tank, white tile bottom and white room with French doors that don't have any covering. The PB's I had (before they died) always maintained great color. Everyone else sort of fade to pastel during the day and deepen a little at night.

I just took this video. They are kind of pastel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVdHgHVn38&t=27s

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Here they were eating last night. They look a more vibrant to me at night. https://youtu.be/pRgOWEBu2AE

Second Hand Pat
01-07-2018, 07:03 PM
From someone I later found out steals pictures from other discus breeders and puts them on his site to sell discus -Discus.com. Some of their discus are really nice. He doesn't need to steal pictures. I hate getting a discus that doesn't look anything like the picture. I'm wondering who the real breeder of the discus is.

Hi Heidi, Michael Li who is the person behind Discus.com does not actually have any discus. He works with a few discus vendors whom supply the fish when you order from his site. So the discus might be "close" to what you might actually order. If you are inclined to order from him again please read this before you do http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?129385-BEWARE-of-discus-com-using-our-shipment-photos-to-sell-discus-it-doesn-t-have.
Pat

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Hi Heidi, Michael Li who is the person behind Discus.com does not actually have any discus. He works with a few discus vendors whom supply the fish when you order from his site. So the discus might be "close" to what you might actually order. If you are inclined to order from him again please read this before you do http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?129385-BEWARE-of-discus-com-using-our-shipment-photos-to-sell-discus-it-doesn-t-have.
Pat

Thank you for sharing this Pat.

I will not purchase from him again.

Willie
01-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Heidi;

If you're looking for something specific, send the picture to Kenny and ask him to match a fish for you. Be prepared to pay a little extra, but that fish is worth it.

Willie

HappyFace
01-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Thank you for oyyr suggestion Willie. I will try that.

Phillydubs
01-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Heidi,

Where are you located ? Are any reputable vendors near you? In a situation such as this as good as the sponsors here are you may want and need to go see the fish in person.

I had a group of leopards from Chicago discus and as stated they are all very different yet a few looked like what you wanted and are looking for

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Heidi,

Where are you located ? Are any reputable vendors near you? In a situation such as this as good as the sponsors here are you may want and need to go see the fish in person.

I had a group of leopards from Chicago discus and as stated they are all very different yet a few looked like what you wanted and are looking for

Thank you Phil.

Do you know anyone near Bakersfield, California? I don't know of anyone reputable. :(

I'm about 5 hours away from Kenny's discus. I've thought a lot about going to get my discus straight from Kenny except there are a few road blocks. Does Kenny have a store can you actually visit and go pick out the exact discus you want? If my husband would agree to make a road trip (he would like to visit San Fran so that's entirely possible) and if Kenny had a new shipment in and we were able to take off at a nano second notice (seeing as Kenny's discus sell out in about 1-3 days) and if Kenny would allow me to pick out the exact discus then of coarse hold them and ship them when they're out of quarantine, will those discus be available or already pre-sold to other people since I've been on a wait list for some Kenny discus for over a year?... In a perfect world I could drive to Daley City and hand pick some coveted Kenny discus. I don't see that happening though.

Ryan925
01-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Thank you Phil.

Do you know anyone near Bakersfield, California? I don't know of anyone reputable. :(

I'm about 5 hours away from Kenny's discus. I've thought a lot about going to get my discus straight from Kenny except there are a few road blocks. Does Kenny have a store can you actually visit and go pick out the exact discus you want? If my husband would agree to make a road trip (he would like to visit San Fran so that's entirely possible) and if Kenny had a new shipment in and we were able to take off at a nano second notice (seeing as Kenny's discus sell out in about 1-3 days) and if Kenny would allow me to pick out the exact discus then of coarse hold them and ship them when they're out of quarantine, will those discus be available or already pre-sold to other people since I've been on a wait list for some Kenny discus for over a year?... In a perfect world I could drive to Daley City and hand pick some coveted Kenny discus. I don't see that happening though.

Hi Heidi

I am about an hour from Kenny so have had the pleasure of visiting him a few times. He does have a fish room but not a "store."

Kenny will always post a preview of his shipment so you know what he is bringing in. My suggestion would be to get in touch with him prior so that he knows what you are looking for. He may or may not have all you want in a single shipment.

Kenny is amazing to work with and very accommodating. Best thing to do is give him a call or send him an email and he will happily answer all of your questions

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Thank you Ryan. You're so lucky to live close to him! I'm still on a waiting list. I contacted him in December to make sure he hasn't forgotten me and he replied.

I really love the discus I got from discusmadness a couple of years back so if I don't get what I want from Kenny I will hopefully get it from discusmadness soon. I ordered this all white butterfly from them that arrives tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

I think I've given up on my dream of getting all the discus I want at once. My discus will probably die from lack of good quarantine within the year and I will have to switch to all angels. :cry:

warblad79
01-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Most likely you received the fish from Gabe Posadas of Jack Wattley Discus.

Phillydubs
01-08-2018, 04:53 PM
I’d email Kenny all your questions and take that drive. You will get to see a new city and get the discus of your dreams.

However if you aren’t quarantining and are adding your fish from tons of sources and bad ones at that. Your completing a very expensive destruction project.

Maybe stop ordering sell off your stock now and sterilize your system. Go see Kenny and get them all and do it right and be done

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Maybe stop ordering sell off your stock now and sterilize your system. Go see Kenny and get them all and do it right and be done

I will consider that but I don't think I can even if I wanted to. There's no way Kenny will ever have all the discus I want all in one shipment. I tried for a year to get the discus of my dreams all in one shipment. I tried so hard to wait and be patient but it didn't happen. Then I tried with a different breeder and after paying he didn't have everything on his website in stock so again I am left with "multiple shipments." The discus I wanted most in my tank I don't have. I wanted select grade all red (including red face) and select grade white platinum and white butterfly. Right now I have one decent all red, one red I need to cull and zero white discus in my white tank. :(

I think any time you have multiple orders of discus over the span of months, even if they're all from the same place, and you don't quarantine, you're taking a huge risk. I could stop where I'm at and try to be happy with what I have (some nice, healthy, colorful discus) but what I have are not my dream discus.

Wouldn't it be just my luck to get an email from Kenny next week after I spent all my Kenny fund and have no money until mid-February lol.

Phillydubs
01-08-2018, 05:19 PM
I don’t want this to be taken the wrong way becuse I’ve been there. But you seem to be on a discus spiral and it won’t end well

You had your heart set and that was broken and now you are trying to compensate.

I get you want your dream discus. But even if you obtained them with the way you are going about things your dream fish will be sick or dead.

Again you can do what you want and need to. Your tank your funds.

But ask anyone here who has gone this route. Your dream will soon become a nightmare full of meda and dead fish.

Better off understanding that your dream may never become a reality. Especially without proper qt.

You are lucky. 5 hrs from Kenny many people here would kill for that. Set up a cheap qt in the garage and make 2 even 3 trips. If it’s a true dream for you then you need to put some effort in and make it happen.

Can’t just snap fingers and say poof dream come true. I want to own a football or basketball team. Can’t snap your fingers and make that happen. You can’t with this either.

Again just saying cause you seem genuine and I don’t want your dream to become hrs on end in the emergency room thread

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 05:25 PM
I’d email Kenny all your questions and take that drive. You will get to see a new city and get the discus of your dreams.

However if you aren’t quarantining and are adding your fish from tons of sources and bad ones at that. Your completing a very expensive destruction project.

Yeah, I couldn't emotionally handle culling 3k worth of discus, sterlilizing my system and watching an empty tank for another year... saving allover again in the hopes that Kenny will send me a golden ticket that would result in exactly what I want. I think it's a wonderful dream.

Right now I'm tapped out. I plan to save more money and place a large order with either Kenny or discusmadness in the next few months. Those fish will definitely be quarantined and I will be culling some of what I have. My husband won't let me quarantine fish in the house all year long. He's ok with once in a year.

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Great post Phil. I agree.

My husband is even more territorial of the garage than he is of the house unfortunately. I think I will have to be happy with the fact that I can quarantine once a year. In the meantime if I buy more discus and put them in the tank without quarantine it's a risk I'm ok with taking at this time because what I have right now are all discus I will probably eventually cull/give away once I get better grade discus to replace them.

Ryan925
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I couldn't emotionally handle culling 3k worth of discus, sterlilizing my system and watching an empty tank for another year... saving allover again in the hopes that Kenny will send me a golden ticket that would result in exactly what I want. I think it's a wonderful dream.

Right now I'm tapped out. I plan to save more money and place a large order with either Kenny or discusmadness in the next few months. Those fish will definitely be quarantined and I will be culling some of what I have. My husband won't let me quarantine fish in the house all year long. He's ok with once in a year.

Have you considered uncle Sam's? Another sponsor here of high quality fish and would be a closer drive for you than Kenny and I believe they do have their fish on display for you to choose from.

Kenny gets one monthly shipment and liquidates the entire shipment very quickly so he does not keep any fish around

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Have you considered uncle Sam's? Another sponsor here of high quality fish and would be a closer drive for you than Kenny and I believe they do have their fish on display for you to choose from.

Kenny gets one monthly shipment and liquidates the entire shipment very quickly so he does not keep any fish around

Thank you for the suggestion Ryan! :)

Poppa Ryno
01-08-2018, 09:00 PM
I have this strain.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o746/popparyno/Mobile%20Uploads/20171208_090956_zpsv0maflmm.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/popparyno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20171208_090956_zpsv0maflmm.jpg.html)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o746/popparyno/Mobile%20Uploads/20171211_141305_zpsif2pjrvw.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/popparyno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20171211_141305_zpsif2pjrvw.jpg.html)
Golden based LSS from Dickson Lim

Poppa Ryno
01-08-2018, 09:04 PM
I believe James Perrenod at discus"r"us has them.

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 09:43 PM
I believe James Perrenod at discus"r"us has them.

I have this strain.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o746/popparyno/Mobile%20Uploads/20171208_090956_zpsv0maflmm.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/popparyno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20171208_090956_zpsv0maflmm.jpg.html)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o746/popparyno/Mobile%20Uploads/20171211_141305_zpsif2pjrvw.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/popparyno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20171211_141305_zpsif2pjrvw.jpg.html)
Golden based LSS from Dickson Lim

Those are really beautiful. <3

What made me fall in love with the discus in the photo I initially posted is that it has every color of the rainbow to tie my discus together and add a bit of pomp to my tank. I *adore* spots which is the icing on the cake and in the picture that discus has no jail bar banding. I don't like bars.

I will be buying 2-3 of each color "solid" discus that isn't prone to banding (solid red melon/fire red, solid blue diamond, solid white platinum, solid white butterfly, solid gold melon, solid yellow albino) and to me buying 2-3 of that "spotted rainbow" discus would have been heaven.

I've since learned that strain all have banding and what looks like a rainbow in someone else's tank might not look like a rainbow in my tank. It might end up looking like an all white fish with orange spots and black bands in my white tank.

It might sound weird to want a rainbow of discus but my entire room and tank are white. The only color in my entire room is the discus and their colors stand out like beacons.

Ryan925
01-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Those are really beautiful. <3

What made me fall in love with the discus in the photo I initially posted is that it has every color of the rainbow to tie my discus together and add a bit of pomp to my tank. I *adore* spots which is the icing on the cake and in the picture that discus has no jail bar banding. I don't like bars.

I will be buying 2-3 of each color "solid" discus that isn't prone to banding (solid red melon/fire red, solid blue diamond, solid white platinum, solid white butterfly, solid gold melon, solid yellow albino) and to me buying 2-3 of that "spotted rainbow" discus would have been heaven.

I've since learned that strain all have banding and what looks like a rainbow in someone else's tank might not look like a rainbow in my tank. It might end up looking like an all white fish with orange spots and black bands in my white tank.

It might sound weird to want a rainbow of discus but my entire room and tank are white. The only color in my entire room is the discus and their colors stand out like beacons.

Keep in mind the "bands" you see are stress bars. They may be visible since the fish are new and have not settled . Typically you don't see the bars unless the mood dictates.

I have a wild cross that displays bars much like a mood ring

With my eruption once I got rid of the dark substrate she rarely showed bars except for sometimes for feeding or feeling like breeding 113837
Leopard eruption from Kenny

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Beautiful leopard Kenny. I'm a sucker for spots.

I don't know why but the one blue banded discus I had (in the breeders picture he wasn't banded) always displayed bars for the 2 years I had him even though he was super healthy and seemed happy. He wasn't the most dominant in the tank but no one ever picked on him and he was super healthy until I introduced the new discus that killed him.

Now the 2 new eruption/leopards I got are always banded 24-7. I'm a bit worried my white tank affects them somehow causing them to band. Maybe they will stop banding in time.

fishbubbles
01-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Heidi, The discus you have pictured looks like a Penang eruption which is sold by Kenny. Here's a photo of one of mine that I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Heidi, The discus you have pictured looks like a Penang eruption which is sold by Kenny. Here's a photo of one of mine that I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.

So pretty! It does look very similar like they are from the same breeding!

fishbubbles
01-08-2018, 11:34 PM
You may also want to take a look at his Jumbo spotted face penang eruptions. They're pricey fish but have great shapes, I have one also but he is currently sleeping and isn't real happy when I wake him up for photo's!

HappyFace
01-08-2018, 11:37 PM
I love jumbos! If you can please share a picture of him whenever you get a chance. :)

adrian31@outlook.com
01-09-2018, 10:40 AM
I will consider that but I don't think I can even if I wanted to. There's no way Kenny will ever have all the discus I want all in one shipment. I tried for a year to get the discus of my dreams all in one shipment. I tried so hard to wait and be patient but it didn't happen. Then I tried with a different breeder and after paying he didn't have everything on his website in stock so again I am left with "multiple shipments." The discus I wanted most in my tank I don't have. I wanted select grade all red (including red face) and select grade white platinum and white butterfly. Right now I have one decent all red, one red I need to cull and zero white discus in my white tank. :(

I think any time you have multiple orders of discus over the span of months, even if they're all from the same place, and you don't quarantine, you're taking a huge risk. I could stop where I'm at and try to be happy with what I have (some nice, healthy, colorful discus) but what I have are not my dream discus.

Wouldn't it be just my luck to get an email from Kenny next week after I spent all my Kenny fund and have no money until mid-February lol.

Heidi, I can certainly relate to your thoughts and experiences thus far. From the start my goal was a group of ~10 beautiful Discus in my tank.

This is my order history:

Aug '16 - Ten 4"-4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
Nov '16 - Five 4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
Mar '17 - Eight ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
May '17 - Five ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
Sep '17 - Fifteen ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL

Some died, gave some away, sold some. I actually culled more than a few due to 'defects'. I put in a fair amount of effort working with the suppliers to get the best fish. In my last two orders I practically insisted on paying a premium to receive his best fish available, offer was accepted of course.

In my last order I was rather disappointed; the size & shape were great but the coloring barely resembled the beautiful Rafflesia & Cobalts you see in pictures. For that last order I even got rid of my current tank's occupants, and sterilized the entire tank/sump in order to start completely fresh. I feel like this was my last attempt.

What I'm saying is that I found it impossible to get my perfect school of Discus that I dreamed of when starting off. Living fairly close to Kenny's I think you have a better chance at this than I did. I wish you luck.

HappyFace
01-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Heidi, I can certainly relate to your thoughts and experiences thus far. From the start my goal was a group of ~10 beautiful Discus in my tank.

This is my order history:

Aug '16 - Ten 4"-4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
Nov '16 - Five 4.5" Discus from Discus USA, Florida
Mar '17 - Eight ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
May '17 - Five ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL
Sep '17 - Fifteen ~5" Discus from Wattley's, FL

Some died, gave some away, sold some. I actually culled more than a few due to 'defects'. I put in a fair amount of effort working with the suppliers to get the best fish. In my last two orders I practically insisted on paying a premium to receive his best fish available, offer was accepted of course.

In my last order I was rather disappointed; the size & shape were great but the coloring barely resembled the beautiful Rafflesia & Cobalts you see in pictures. For that last order I even got rid of my current tank's occupants, and sterilized the entire tank/sump in order to start completely fresh. I feel like this was my last attempt.

What I'm saying is that I found it impossible to get my perfect school of Discus that I dreamed of when starting off. Living fairly close to Kenny's I think you have a better chance at this than I did. I wish you luck.

I so totally relate to your post. I'm sorry for what you went through. :(

We are driving 2+ hours away from home right now because the person I purchased some discus from transposed my zip code and FedEx won't ship until tomorrow night. I feel like if I wait for them to arrive tomorrow night their immune systems will be more compromised and I'm back to having dead fish and sickness in my tank.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-09-2018, 11:09 PM
I so totally relate to your post. I'm sorry for what you went through. :(

We are driving 2+ hours away from home right now because the person I purchased some discus from transposed my zip code and FedEx won't ship until tomorrow night. I feel like if I wait for them to arrive tomorrow night their immune systems will be more compromised and I'm back to having dead fish and sickness in my tank.

Thanks but you don't need to feel sorry, it was a learning experience. Also can't say I didn't have fun throughout this whole time. But I'll tell you, I do realize how hard it is getting that 'perfect group' of ten or more all together, at one time.

Transposed you zip code? Wow, couldn't have picked a worse time for this happen. I hope they turn out all right.

HappyFace
01-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Thank you Kenny. Yes it was bad timing. :( It was a 5.5 hour drive total including stopping for gas. They ended up refunding my shipping charges which was nice of them. The discus are all alive, healthy and acclimating. I think they are all pretty nice! Here are a couple of pictures. I ordered 5 total from Myrtle Beach Discus. These pictures were taken barely 30 minutes after putting them in the tank. The others are hiding but appear healthy. I pulled the rocks away from the overflow box so they can hide behind them and have privacy.

I checked out Myrtle Beach discus before buying. They have 100% positive feedback on ebay, cute video and pics on Facebook and some people posted here on Simply and all of them were happy with the discus they ordered. They had the exact white butterfly and platinum albino I wanted at a great price. I took a chance. Praying now that everyone stays healthy.

rickztahone
01-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Those look nice. Good luck. Do you have other discus in this tank?

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Those look nice. Good luck. Do you have other discus in this tank?

Thank you Rick. Yes there are discus in the tank. I'm taking a huge chance not quarantining them. I am only allowed to QT once in a year and I'm saving that for sometime between February and June when I place a large order of more expensive discus from Kenny's discus or Discusmadness. Right now I am just praying. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

The other 3 babies came out of hiding. I don't think I could be happier with these discus. I paid $200 without shipping. All 5 are beautiful to me and I think they have potential to become even more beautiful with lots of good food and fresh water.

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 01:24 AM
More pics. So sorry for all The pictures. The cuteness factor in my fish tank is killing me. I might have to poke my eyes out. I want to reach in the tank and hug them.

DC Discus
01-10-2018, 02:34 AM
Nice fish! Just to note I've picked up fish from multiple Kenny shipments without quarantining them, of course I only have Kenny discus in my tank. Golden state Discus (a sponsor here) has a newer store in Rocklin that you can hand pick discus at (probably 14 or 15 large tanks worth of discus), though I think they keep most of their shipment fish at another facility. I'd email them and find out when their next shipment will be out of quarantine. I'm sure they'd send you some pictures of there current stock too. Their facebook page had some eruptions in a video similar to what you were looking for.

I'd also be curious what your feeding vs what people who have those intense coloration on their eruptions do. Mine I feed bloodworms as a supplement to beef-heart and my large male is similar to what you're looking for.
Cheers,
DC

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 03:22 AM
Nice fish! Just to note I've picked up fish from multiple Kenny shipments without quarantining them, of course I only have Kenny discus in my tank. Golden state Discus (a sponsor here) has a newer store in Rocklin that you can hand pick discus at (probably 14 or 15 large tanks worth of discus), though I think they keep most of their shipment fish at another facility. I'd email them and find out when their next shipment will be out of quarantine. I'm sure they'd send you some pictures of there current stock too. Their facebook page had some eruptions in a video similar to what you were looking for.

I'd also be curious what your feeding vs what people who have those intense coloration on their eruptions do. Mine I feed bloodworms as a supplement to beef-heart and my large male is similar to what you're looking for.
Cheers,
DC

Thank you DC Discus! I appreciate you sharing your feeding recommendations and success at adding new discus without quarantine. I know my situation is worse since I have discus from different sources. Hopefully all my guys stay strong and healthy. I will check out Golden State Discus! Cheers to you also. :)

adrian31@outlook.com
01-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Great, I'm glad it worked out.

Willie
01-10-2018, 08:50 AM
If you don't quarantine, you will not succeed in this hobby.

Willie

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Great, I'm glad it worked out.

Thank you Kenny.

If you don't quarantine, you will not succeed in this hobby.

Willie

Thank you Willie. I understand and agree if you have multiple shipments/orders of fish you should quarantine.

I did succeed at buying 6 gorgeous, amazing discus and 4 angels from discusmadess all at once though. I was so happy until I had a sump failure, half of them died and my dream for my tank changed. I didn't succeed at finding everything I want all at once from anyone else. If it doesn't work out and my discus all die I will save and buy them all at once from discusmadness again then if I add new stock I will only do it once a year when I can quarantine.

I will succeed again. Maybe not right now but eventually. I already suffer the loss of 3 discus and culling 2 and I need to cull at least 2 more and figure out what I will do with the 2 in this thread that aren't like the picture in the ad. I know the risks and the result can hurt a lot but I couldn't handle an empty tank anymore and it's discus.com failure to send me all the fish I ordered in one shipment that causes this to happen then sent me several not good looking fish and 2 that weren't like the picture. I just went with a bad supplier that couldn't meet my needs.

To me a good supplier would cull so no one gets stuck with paying full price for a football discus and they would listen to what you want and meet your needs and send pictures before you purchase. It doesn't make a supplier bad if they don't have everything you want all in one shipment but they should have everything on their website in stock, use pictures that represent their fish (not someone elses) and send you what you ask for.

adrian31@outlook.com
01-10-2018, 10:12 AM
After my experience with Discus, my preference for my show tank has changed really;

For a show tank I'd want substrate, both pieces of my driftwood back in, plants, Angels, Dwarf Gouramis, GBR's & Electric Blues, and some of those pretty speckled plecos. That showtank would be a full time job if I included Discus IMHO.

For Discus I'd rather have 5-6 'hand-picked' beautiful adults alone in a tank no bigger 90gal tank, bb, sponge filters. Or doing a grow-out of say 12-16 small juveniles would also be fun.

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 10:19 AM
I wish you luck Kenny. What you describe sounds like what a lot of discus keepers do with their discus and recommend other do for greater success-bare bottom and no other tankmates and growing out the babies in a separate tank.

BABYJIZAY
01-10-2018, 11:51 AM
If you went to Kenny and hand picked them, you would be able to drive home with them. The reason for him holding them a day or two before shipping is to not feed them so there is less poop during the trip on a plane to you. I drove 3 or 4 hours to pick up fish from Discus Hans and spent an hour there in his fishroom hand picking all my fish then drove them home. It was a perfect experience. If I lived 5 hours from Kenny I'd be there once a month for sure!!

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 02:22 PM
If you went to Kenny and hand picked them, you would be able to drive home with them. The reason for him holding them a day or two before shipping is to not feed them so there is less poop during the trip on a plane to you. I drove 3 or 4 hours to pick up fish from Discus Hans and spent an hour there in his fishroom hand picking all my fish then drove them home. It was a perfect experience. If I lived 5 hours from Kenny I'd be there once a month for sure!!

I'm so happy for your positive experience with purchasing from Discus Hans! That sounds like a dream come true being able to view all the fish and pick out the ones you want by hand! <3

RogueDiscus
01-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Hi Heidi,
Maybe i missed it, but just had to ask, why can you only quarantine once a year?

RogueDiscus
01-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Also, to add from my experience working with Kenny, I bet it's time for him to post his next shipment soon. If you know what you want or see something you're interested in from his previous shipments, I'd email him now and let him know. He takes family time between shipments, but he'll get back to you. Then you need to kind of hang out waiting for him to post the shipment, and then email him quickly if you want to order. I bet you could set up a meeting if you wanted to make the drive.

RogueDiscus
01-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Someone else mentioned Uncle Sams. I've never bought from them, but they brought some nice fish to the last NADA show and they've been building a good reputation. They're in the LA area.

RogueDiscus
01-10-2018, 04:04 PM
So what would be your perfect group?

You've said you don't like the bars. Many of the strains will only show bars when stressed, so sometimes, but not always.

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Hi Steve! My amazing, wonderful husband whom I adore hates the fish, hates having them in the house, said he would leave me if I get another tank. With the 2 tanks I got I went through a lot of emotional pain going against his wishes and I can't do that again. He said it's ok to quarantine once a year but no more... however I just talked with him right now and begged if we could set something up in the basement since we already have a drain sump catch basin for our air conditioner condensation down there and the water heater is down there also and he has to cut into the water heater line going into the tank so he said Yes! He can make a T on the water heater line so I have fresh water and I can drain old water into the catch basin I can have a Qt tank all year!!!

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 04:41 PM
So what would be your perfect group?

You've said you don't like the bars. Many of the strains will only show bars when stressed, so sometimes, but not always.

My perfect group would be all select grade or at least A grade. I readjusted my dream since getting these new babies. I would like:
2 fire red (red face and red body)
2 blue diamond
2 pure yellow albino
2 pure orange
2-4 white butterfly
4 platinum albino (the white looks amazing in my white tank)
2 albino yellow pigeon
2 red pigeon (maybe with blue tips)
I give up on the spotted discus. I really dislike banding. I might change my mind on them though.
20 albino cores
Probably no angels and might get rid of my 2 geophagus

Second Hand Pat
01-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Hi Heidi, the banding will generally go away once the fish are acclimated well and comfortable in their surroundings. The banding is called stress or more correct mood bars. They are used as a source of communication amongst wild fish.
Pat

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Hi Heidi, the banding will generally go away once the fish are acclimated well and comfortable in their surroundings. The banding is called stress or more correct mood bars. They are used as a source of communication amongst wild fish.
Pat

Thank you Pat. Do some discus have banding all the time? My blue in this picture never lost his banding in the 2 years I had him and he seemed happy. He wasn't the dominant one in the tank but he rarely if ever got picked on.

warblad79
01-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Too bad you're into striated, I have some home grown jumbo Giant Flora 7.5"-8" I'm currently selling.

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
I wish I did want one it's beautiful!

Second Hand Pat
01-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Yes Heidi, some fish will show bars all the time...including wilds.
Pat

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Someone else mentioned Uncle Sams. I've never bought from them, but they brought some nice fish to the last NADA show and they've been building a good reputation. They're in the LA area.[/QUOTE

Thank you Steve!

[QUOTE=Second Hand Pat;1280267]Yes Heidi, some fish will show bars all the time...including wilds.
Pat

Ok thank you Pat!

bluelagoon
01-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Bars are the way fish like discus camouflage themselves in the branches and twigs from predators.They've been breed out mostly due to mutations.

LizStreithorst
01-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Happy Face. Willie told you that if you don't QT you will fail in this hobby.

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Happy Face. Willie told you that if you don't QT you will fail in this hobby.

Hi Liz. Thank you. Yes, I responded to him but my QT problems are finally behind me. Hubby agreed to allow a permanent QT in our basement. I can't describe how happy I am for this! :)

HarryDk
01-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Hi Liz. Thank you. Yes, I responded to him but my QT problems are finally behind me. Hubby agreed to allow a permanent QT in our basement. I can't describe how happy I am for this! :)

Then he deserves some special treatment! Good man

HappyFace
01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Then he deserves some special treatment! Good man

Yes he does!!!! :)

BABYJIZAY
02-02-2018, 12:03 AM
I found your fish. Saw this and thought of you

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/6-5-giant-leopard-snakeskin-discus-golden-intermediate/

HappyFace
02-02-2018, 08:05 PM
I found your fish. Saw this and thought of you

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/6-5-giant-leopard-snakeskin-discus-golden-intermediate/

Gorgeous!

Jenene
02-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Hi Heidi, I would suggest you contact Kenny directly and show him the picture of what you are looking for. It is one of his taken at his exporter's facility in Malaysia. I can tell by style of the photo and the background. Kenny is amazing at doing what ever he can to get you the fish you want. He does allow people to go to his fish room by appointment. I've heard it's an incredible experience and I will get there one day. It's a little longer than a five hour drive for me coming from NY. :p

Give him a call, or drop him an email. You won't be sorry. He's the nicest man.

When you do get them home they will fade a but in color until they have acclimated but they will regain their full color with good care.

Good luck let us know when you have procured your perfect fish ;)

woopaul5
02-11-2018, 10:34 PM
I’ve ordered from Kenny before and highly recommend him. He’s quick to answer emails and I’ve never had a problem contacting him on the phone. I’ve moved onto wilds since but if I was to ever go back I’d order from Kenny.

HappyFace
02-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Thank you Jenene and Paul. I agree Kenny is very nice and he has beautiful discus.