PDA

View Full Version : Buying "breeding pairs" for my community tank

HappyFace
01-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Do you think it's ok to purchase 1-3 breeding pairs of discus and put them in a 200 gallon community tank with other discus? I've been looking at the Stendker discus from Discus Hans and they are so beautiful! Discus Hans appears to post pictures/video of the actual discus so you know *exactly* what you're getting.

Last time I purchased 6 adult discus (all different colors) 2 sets paired off even though I didn't want babies so I had to deal with the whole mating thing anyways.

smsimcik
01-12-2018, 02:32 PM
There's no real reason to buy breeding pairs if your not going to breed them. Besides, breeding pairs will be territorial and fight with each other and the non paired discus in the tank.
You're also going to pay a premium for pairs. I would just stick to buying individual adult discus. They are less expensive to collect that way.

HappyFace
01-12-2018, 02:34 PM
There's no real reason to buy breeding pairs if your not going to breed them. Besides, breeding pairs will be territorial and fight with each other and the non paired discus in the tank.
You're also going to pay a premium for pairs. I would just stick to buying individual adult discus. They are less expensive to collect that way.

Thank you Steve.

Larry Bugg
01-12-2018, 04:14 PM
If there is a particular strain you like then ask Hans to take a pic or quick vid of his 5" 6" of that strain. See one in particular that you like then ask him for that discus. Hans is a great guy to deal with. He recently posted a lot of his 5" tanks on facebook. Beautiful fish.

HappyFace
01-12-2018, 04:36 PM
If there is a particular strain you like then ask Hans to take a pic or quick vid of his 5" 6" of that strain. See one in particular that you like then ask him for that discus. Hans is a great guy to deal with. He recently posted a lot of his 5" tanks on facebook. Beautiful fish.

Thank you Larry. :)