PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank Just

Kfactor
01-15-2018, 10:27 PM
Am just getting my first 4 discus Saturday and want to set up a quarantine tank . I have a tank all ready and a sponge filter that was in my main tank for about 2 months . Do I just add water to the tank with sponge filter and that’s all ?

Filip
01-16-2018, 04:32 AM
Just fill the QT tank 24 hours prior arrival and let the filter and heater run .
Fishless cycle or quick start bacteria cycling would have been safer to rule out - cross contamination , but you are already set and ready with the display cycled sponge .
What's the QT and display tank volume ?
What other fish do you plan to keep with discus ?
Why only 4 discus when 6 is considered the safe minimum ?

Kyla
01-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Whenever I tried to keep only 4 discus in QT I ended up having to use a divider in the tank to stop serious aggression issues...

Kfactor
01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
THe fish I ordered are only 1.5” and the qt is 25g and the main tank am putting them in is a 40 for now . I know u should have more but I just want to see how they do I didn’t want to spend 500+ on fish for my first time . I decided on a 90 g that am setting up in my basement they won’t be in that 40 g for ever . All the tanks am doing are bare bottom tanks . The 40 g am putting them in after the qt tank as a 25 g sump as well .

Filip
01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
You already have a nice tankage and a plan set and ready for you and starting BB is a big plus too on your road to success .
The only problem is the small number of discus.
I strongly encourage you to get at least 2-3 discus more right from the start. Discus this small shouldn't cost more than 20 $ per piece , at least from my experience .

Kfactor
01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
K thanks I will get a few more added to my order

Kfactor
01-16-2018, 10:42 PM
I added 2 more to my order am excited for my first discus am sure all ha e why more questions for u guys

Todd Goering
01-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Where did you get them? I am planning my first tank and wonder who I should buy from?

Filip
01-17-2018, 03:28 AM
I added 2 more to my order am excited for my first discus am sure all ha e why more questions for u guys

Great decision K .

Where did you get them? I am planning my first tank and wonder who I should buy from?

Here is a list of reputable discus sellers Todd.
They are all picked and vetted by Al ,the owner of this forum :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

Todd Goering
01-17-2018, 04:08 AM
Thanks! I really only want discus fry to start. I do have a large amount of tanks and gear, used to teach science. So where would I go to get these?

Filip
01-17-2018, 04:31 AM
Thanks! I really only want discus fry to start. I do have a large amount of tanks and gear, used to teach science. So where would I go to get these?

You can try and search for some hobbyist home breed fry in the Buy and sell section Todd.
Somefins fishy.com also sells very small baby discus too . Here is a thread with pics and info on its tiny discus .

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?128444-discus-fry&highlight=Somefin+fishy

Kfactor
01-17-2018, 11:44 PM
If I only have 6 neon tetras In the tank can I just put them in the main tank ? Or should I still Qt them

Filip
01-18-2018, 05:19 AM
If I only have 6 neon tetras In the tank can I just put them in the main tank ? Or should I still Qt them

The safest way is to QT and test everything before it goes in your main tank.
I just got over 2 months of medicating discus because of introducing a single plant without proper sterilization, so I would say yes , you should QT and test them before mixing them with your discus .

Kfactor
01-18-2018, 08:45 AM
K thank you I can’t beleave just a plant did that to your discus

Kfactor
01-18-2018, 10:54 PM
113949 I got it setup ready to go and I put a bulk head in to make water changes a bit easier on it just need to hook up a valve to it

Kfactor
01-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Can I add another sponge filter to the tank that isn’t cycled ?

two utes
01-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Can I add another sponge filter to the tank that isn’t cycled ?

Yes you can. make sure its sterilized...You don't want to risk contamination and defeat the purpose of your quarantine tank

Kfactor
01-21-2018, 05:48 PM
It’s a brand new sponge filter it’s never been in a tank yet will it be ok or should I rinse it out with somthing

Willie
01-21-2018, 05:51 PM
It's fine. A number of us have never done fish free cycling and have never had problems.

Willie

two utes
01-21-2018, 05:52 PM
It’s a brand new sponge filter it’s never been in a tank yet will it be ok or should I rinse it out with somthing

Good to go if its brand new...i just give them a rinse under running cold water. Hope it all work out for you.

Kfactor
01-21-2018, 08:55 PM
My discus I got yesterday are very skidish and hanging out at the bottom of the tank can I do the salt treatment to calm them abit . I just want them to be a little less stressed

HappyFace
01-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Hopefully someone with more experience will comment. I added salt and it stressed my discus more because it reduces free oxygen, makes it harder for them to breath. Covering the tank and lowering the lights helped lessen their stress.

Willie
01-22-2018, 01:22 PM
The best thing you can do when moving discus into a new tank is to turn off the lights (don't feed them) and leave them alone for 24 - 48 hours. Don't add salt unless they lay down for 3 - 4 hours. First rule of discus: Do no harm.

Willie

Kfactor
02-03-2018, 05:26 PM
MY discus are doing good I have had them now for 2 weeks . My question is after the 4 to 6 weeks in quarantine how do u guys go about putting them in your main tank ? I only have 6 neons in my main tank with some wood and 2 plants .

Davidzil
02-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Great info

Willie
02-04-2018, 01:02 PM
MY discus are doing good I have had them now for 2 weeks . My question is after the 4 to 6 weeks in quarantine how do u guys go about putting them in your main tank ? I only have 6 neons in my main tank with some wood and 2 plants .

I prefer to keep my discus in quarantine for six weeks, but that's if they're going into a tank with other discus. In your case, I would just put them in now.

Willie

Kfactor
02-04-2018, 07:30 PM
I took your advice and added them to my main tank I hope they do good

Filip
02-05-2018, 04:31 AM
I guess I'm too paranoid but I would have gone with putting just one discus in your display with your neons just for testing purpose. If things would have gone south with it , I would just threw away the one discus along with the tetras , sterilize the tank and then put all of them in the new and sterilizrled display tank.

But youll probably be OK this way too.