PDA

View Full Version : Will ventral fins grow back if it break?

xxalanxx
01-26-2018, 02:03 AM
I noticed one of my discus that had the longest ventral fins had one of it broke recently . The length is reduced in halves of the original length. Not sure how it happened but it doesn't seem to be bother at all. It looks a little weird and funny now because of the significantly uneven length on both sides :). Does anyone have this happen before? Do they usually grow back?

PS: I usually called them legs because my old discus used to stay at the button and it looked like standing on the legs. I had to google to find out their correct terminology. :D

Kyla
01-26-2018, 07:37 AM
Mine had one torn in a fight and it grew back, but it had a kink in it... I have had others with damage to their fin grow back and you couldn't tell it had been damaged at all. I think it just depends on where the break is and the regrowth can vary... fingers crossed it comes in nicely!!

Discus_to_die_for
01-26-2018, 10:33 AM
I went away on vacation and when I came back the tank was pretty nasty looking. The kid I had feeding over fed and the waste was pretty bad. The ventril fins got a fungus on them on a few fish and lost a good amount of length. They grew back over a few months though.

-JD

fishbubbles
01-26-2018, 09:03 PM
I went away on vacation and when I came back the tank was pretty nasty looking. The kid I had feeding over fed and the waste was pretty bad. The ventril fins got a fungus on them on a few fish and lost a good amount of length. They grew back over a few months though.

-JD

I've bought a bunch of small tupperware containers for this exact reason. Before I leave town, I portion out single feedings into each container and advise the person that's watching my fish to only use one container per feeding. Helps keep them from overfeeding and fouling the tanks.