PDA

View Full Version : Starting Point

Nivtup
02-14-2018, 10:17 AM
I am new to discus.

I have purchased a 125 gallon, have two Fluval Canister Filters, have heaters and air supplies on the way, and a beginning to work towards a water aging system.

My water from the tap looks to be 7.8ph, KH 89.5, GH 125.3.

I am concerned about the PH, howeverr I have read so many wide ranging statements about PH, I am a bit confused.

Any advice? Do I need RO system?

I am in Western Washington and on a well.

Thanks

Don

Filip
02-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forum and discus fish keeping Don .
Your water parameters are on the soft side wich is good for discus fish and pH of 7.8 although alkaline is not that bad either. The best PH is the stable one , and you can achieve it with regular Water changes and aging your water .
Just find a way to age and aerate the well water for 24 hours prior water change and you'll be good to go with discus .

Good luck with your new adventure Don and keep us posted with pics and Info's.

Nivtup
02-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Filip,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

CammieTime
02-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Just find a way to age and aerate the well water for 24 hours prior water change and you'll be good to go with discus.

+1 Totally agree. Doing this dramatically improved my tank dynamics.

Nivtup
02-23-2018, 12:16 AM
Alright,

Tank is filled, beginning to cycle. I am still working on our water change system, and aging tanks.

We are thinking we are a month out before we get serious about the fish part of this effort.

Thanks again for the input.

Jack L
02-23-2018, 12:25 AM
no to RO
and you can test water as you age it to figure out if you have a ph swing to worry about, and if so, how long.

remember, discus like clean water and plenty of WC

Willie
02-27-2018, 09:41 AM
One point to consider since you are new to discus. Domestic discus are raised in crowded conditions with large, frequent water changes. If you're going to buy 2" - 3" fish, they'll get "lost" in a large tank. You'll find them to be very skittish and often they'll stop eating. Since you've already committed to a 125, you should consider buying bigger 4"+ fish to start. Another possibility is not to fill the tank to reduce the water volume.

If you're starting with smaller discus, I'd recommend raising them in a smaller tank.

Welcome to the hobby, Willie

Nivtup
02-27-2018, 03:54 PM
OK,

I now have a good reason to setup those two 55 gallon tanks we picked up a couple weeks ago. :D

OCC Aquarium
03-14-2018, 06:36 PM
One point to consider since you are new to discus. Domestic discus are raised in crowded conditions with large, frequent water changes. If you're going to buy 2" - 3" fish, they'll get "lost" in a large tank. You'll find them to be very skittish and often they'll stop eating. Since you've already committed to a 125, you should consider buying bigger 4"+ fish to start. Another possibility is not to fill the tank to reduce the water volume.

If you're starting with smaller discus, I'd recommend raising them in a smaller tank.

Welcome to the hobby, Willie

Thanks for the great info, what size tank would you recommend for 10 2-2.5" fish?

discuspaul
03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Well, if you keep them bare-bottom (which you should), they grow quite fast with good feedings, so you may keep them in anything from say, 40 gals. to a 55. Suggest you might go with the larger 55, in order to keep them for a longer period before having to accommodate them in a larger tank.