PDA

View Full Version : Help with tank turn-over rate

Cove Beach
03-08-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm interested in finding out what is the best rate of turn over for Discus? Current build is a 245 display with a 180 basement sump. Also looking for recommendations on a return pump that will handle 12' of head pressure. I've been considering a Reeflow Sword tail

klr-dude
03-09-2018, 10:49 AM
generally speaking 5-10 times the volume of the aquarium is considered a good turn over , however it has been my experience that pump ratings are optimistic at best .
also , why make your sump in the basement and pump that water 12 feet up , that takes a lot of power and $$. :)
i made my sumps right under the tank with an overflow to the waste in the basement so there can never be a flood in the living room .
my 2 c'
BTW i used grundfoss 3 speed circulating pumps ,....quiet and use little current .

OCC Aquarium
03-15-2018, 11:36 PM
I'm interested in finding out what is the best rate of turn over for Discus? Current build is a 245 display with a 180 basement sump. Also looking for recommendations on a return pump that will handle 12' of head pressure. I've been considering a Reeflow Sword tail

Is the piping 12 feet straight up?

benjieb
03-20-2018, 08:47 AM
generally speaking 5-10 times the volume of the aquarium is considered a good turn over , however it has been my experience that pump ratings are optimistic at best .
also , why make your sump in the basement and pump that water 12 feet up , that takes a lot of power and $$. :)
i made my sumps right under the tank with an overflow to the waste in the basement so there can never be a flood in the living room .
my 2 c'
BTW i used grundfoss 3 speed circulating pumps ,....quiet and use little current .

wd never use a ch pump in an aquatic system....would worry about leaching of metals from the pump. its meant for central heating, using fernox type additives. I use Jebco pumps which work ok for me, they have good speed controls at a competitive price.