PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone :)

Tankster
03-15-2018, 07:50 PM
I am back... Kinda.

I never recovered from my tank crash/discus loss and have a tank 25% full of Lake Malawi Aulonocara (peacock Cichlids). I say 25% because the tank looks empty and I need about 15 more to do the tank justice. The good news is the 240 has water and fish in it. :)

I will try to pop in and catch up with everyone, even though I am not officially a discus keeper, I put in some time, still love them and may someday jump back in. That will only happen when I have the cash flow to buy 15 jumbo's from Hans. No more grow outs for me. With that said, it might be awhile... unless I win the lottery, so ya, it'l be awhile :crazy:

discuspaul
03-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Nice to hear that you're back, Greg - so don't be a stranger - always good to have an old-timer return to 'the family' !

Second Hand Pat
03-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Hi Greg, good to hear from you...start saving :D
Pat

Tankster
03-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Hi Pat and Paul!

I missed everyone. Glad a couple of you remember me. John N. and I spar on Facebook every so often so still in touch with him. Although, I am sure sometimes he wished I would just go away... but I think people with differentiating opinions having civil debate is healthy for everyone. I hope he agrees and doesn't just think I am a PITA :)

Here is the 240 in all her glory.

jmf3460
03-19-2018, 07:56 PM
hi greg, I love your tank! its beautiful and looks more fit for wild discus rather than African cichlids. I thought African cichlids liked a lot of rocks and caves as opposed to wood and tannins. educate me??

discuspaul
03-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Looooking real good, Greg.
Have to agree with Jacklyn - Wilds would sure look cool in that tank -! LOL

Sabrina
03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Welcome back Greg!
Wow, that tank looks amazing, I want it :D
I have to agree that wilds would better suit that tank haha
Good luck with everything

Tankster
03-19-2018, 11:09 PM
I agree but I would say maybe some red spotted greens :) I have a thing for those recently and can sit and stare at pics of them for hours on end.

On the tank set-up - yes, they will need more rocks as they mature to keep aggression down but during growth phase they are okay with limited cover. I do have a few nooks and crannies you can't see but once it warms up I will be collecting rocks and setting up a few more caves. Unless I am able to have caves for everyone then I might induce aggression in battles for the hidey holes so will need lots and lots of rocks. I would love to find some artificial display rocks but the size of the tank makes me think that might get a bit costly. I will just have to add a couple hundred pounds of real rock

Filip
03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Hi Greg and welcome back .
We would sure all enjoy to see this biotope- blackwater looking tank filled with beautifull fullgrown RSG's .
I'm crossing my fingers for your lottery quick project fix :)

RogueDiscus
03-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Maybe a good entry for this months biotope photo contest !

gunnerschh2
03-22-2018, 01:26 PM
I got my flat rock from a sand & gravel dealer. Had to fill a 450 g & it was the least costly place to buy from. They need a lot of hideing places & you can do it with flat pieces. Harry