PDA

View Full Version : male eating eggs

brady
04-06-2018, 05:42 PM
I have a potential pair of red turqs. She is laying eggs every 5 or 6 days but instead
of fertilizing the eggs he is right behind her eating them. They are in a 75 with 3
other turqs.
Could this be the problem? I am setting up a 30 for them and hopefully will put them in Sun.
If this continues when they are in the 30 can I put a screen up on the pipe and would he be able to
fertilize the eggs with that in place?
Any suggestions ?
Jay

SNap0283
04-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Generally a screen is for after they are fertilized if they eat them before hatching. Giving them their own tank could do the trick but it usually takes many attempts before they get it all figured out. They may fertilize them and a day later eat them, or eat them as wigglers. But no I do not think you can put a screen up on the pipe, she wont be able to lay on the pipe and I just doubt it will work. Give them time to get it right and they will.

Chicago Discus
04-07-2018, 03:34 PM
If you are having trouble with the mail eating your eggs, you should check with the Post Office. LOL. I suggest waiting for them to spawn and fertilize the eggs, and then putting your screen up. This will allow the parent to fan the eggs while preventing others from eating them.

brady
04-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Nice answer Josie/miranda, LOL. I am transferring
them tomorrow to a 30
and will go from there.
Thanks
Jay

Second Hand Pat
04-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Hi Jay, the male may need more time, He may not be mature enough. Are you sure it’s a male?
Pat

brady
04-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Hi Jay, the male may need more time, He may not be mature enough. Are you sure it’s a male?
Pat

Hi Pat
I should have stated at the outset that the first time they spawned I had wigglers but they lasted about an hour.
Probably a combo of the parents and the other discus.
So yes he is a male. Have moved them into there own tank and we will see where we go from there.
Thanks all for replying. Much appreciated.
Jay

Second Hand Pat
04-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Nice to know they are a confirmed pair Jay. Hope the male gets his act together. :)
Pat