PDA

View Full Version : Weird half black face

DiscusBR
04-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, one of my six wild Cuipeua discus appeared with one side of the face completely black:

Right side: dark

Left side: normal

It is quite a weird phenomenon. I am not posting this in the disease section because evidence suggests it is something that often happens when discus hit the glass or objects after darting. Some think it is a nerve damage. One older post here shows that it often goes away with time:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90750-Anyone-ever-seen-this&highlight=anyone+seen+pectoral

The fish in question is behaving normally and is already looking better compared to yesterday, so I will just keep up with my water changes. Hopefully it will recover quickly.

Anyone had previous experiences with this issue?

Second Hand Pat
04-22-2018, 07:53 AM
I haven't Mauro but have seen it happen for the same reason and with the same results on the forum. I bet it recovers 100%. :)
Pat

Filip
04-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Never experienced but have read many similar experiences here on the forum .
In most cases it goes away on its own and never interferes discus behaviour or well being.
Sometimes it can just stay black without harming discus health.

I've read stories that people in Asia used to half way dip discus in to freezing water to cause this on the half of their bodies .After that discus were sold as some specific strain and lived unharmed with half black bodies .

Chicago Discus
04-23-2018, 11:34 AM
We have had this happen on 2 or 3 occasions. It is amazing how perfectly the black mark covers just one half of the face, like it was painted on. It is due to nerve damage on one side. Depending how severe the damage is, it may or may not regain color. The ones we had did recover their color, so just give it time.

DiscusBR
04-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Thank you, everyone. Interesting phenomenon. Five days later, the fish has almost completely recovered (picture below). I am always amazed how fast they can recover.

Filip
04-25-2018, 05:32 AM
Great news Mauro . Another nerve damage story with happy ending :)

goldfish
04-25-2018, 03:48 PM
I think it stress different temperature is dropping. You try increase temperature the discus will have it normal color back in no time.

DiscusBR
04-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Great news Mauro . Another nerve damage story with happy ending :)

Thank you.

I think it stress different temperature is dropping. You try increase temperature the discus will have it normal color back in no time.

There was no temperature variation in the period. It remained stable at 82F (28C).