PDA

View Full Version : My Rams

Ole_Fishy
04-22-2018, 01:45 AM
So I currently only have a ram tank running and I thought I would share a few pics with you guys.

Got 6 electric blue rams and 4 Dark Knight rams. These rams are all bred by a local breeder here in SA and are truly beautiful and hardy rams.

NJH
04-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Very nice:thumbsup:

Pices
04-22-2018, 03:57 PM
I love electric blues and the whole look of your tank.

Oldcabin
04-23-2018, 07:55 AM
Looking good! Love the dark knights.

FischAutoTechGarten
04-30-2018, 11:53 PM
can you share any information on the Dark Knight Rams? I've not seen this cultivar previously.... I'm googling and getting nothing... ok... never mind.. found plenty.

Around 2014 a breeder in Israel named Mishmar Hashiva started working with Rams that were a bit darker.. He worked in cooperation with the Discus breeder Danziger Discus Farm in Tel Aviv. Eventually, through selective breeding, he's obtained viable healthy true breeding fish. These are now referred to as Black Rams. However, they still retain some of the wild coloring in the body.

Later, a breeder in Praetoria, South Africa, Marco Du Toit(did work with Powder Blue Rams and Pearlmut Rams), began working with especially dark specimens that he received from Israel, and after about a year and half obtained purely dark, healthy
homozygoes. Further selective breeding resulted in obtaining specimens that were healthier. These he named Dark Knight Rams. These have been on the scene for about a year now.

Color forms from these selective breeding programs are fascinating:

German Blue Ram (I'm told after generations, these will always revert back to the wild form... don't know about the others below)
Gold (xanthistic) Ram
Powder Blue Ram
Electric Blue Ram
Pearlmut Ram
Black Ram
Dark Knight Ram

Then of course there are the shapes, Balloon and Long Fin varieties as well (neither of which I care for).

Ole_Fishy
05-04-2018, 03:11 AM
can you share any information on the Dark Knight Rams? I've not seen this cultivar previously.... I'm googling and getting nothing... ok... never mind.. found plenty.

Around 2014 a breeder in Israel named Mishmar Hashiva started working with Rams that were a bit darker.. He worked in cooperation with the Discus breeder Danziger Discus Farm in Tel Aviv. Eventually, through selective breeding, he's obtained viable healthy true breeding fish. These are now referred to as Black Rams. However, they still retain some of the wild coloring in the body.

Later, a breeder in Praetoria, South Africa, Marco Du Toit (did work with Powder Blue Rams and Pearlmut Rams), began working with especially dark specimens that he received from Israel, and after about a year and half obtained purely dark, healthy
homozygoes. Further selective breeding resulted in obtaining specimens that were healthier. These he named Dark Knight Rams. These have been on the scene for about a year now.

Color forms from these selective breeding programs are fascinating:

German Blue Ram (I'm told after generations, these will always revert back to the wild form... don't know about the others below)
Gold (xanthistic) Ram
Powder Blue Ram
Electric Blue Ram
Pearlmut Ram
Black Ram
Dark Knight Ram

Then of course there are the shapes, Balloon and Long Fin varieties as well (neither of which I care for).

You seem to have covered it lol.

I am lucky enough to know Marco and live reasonably close to him. He works on constantly creating new strains that he wants to see and seems to just have a knack in breeding these rams how he wants.

He is truly a great breeder in my eyes.

jmf3460
05-04-2018, 08:24 AM
I thought balloon were just deformed?

trose
05-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Are the Dark(Black) Rams available for sale?

Tom R.

Ole_Fishy
05-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Are the Dark(Black) Rams available for sale?

Tom R.

I don't know if he has shipped any overseas as of yet, but I don't think so.

Ole_Fishy
05-21-2018, 09:59 AM
http://youtu.be/ToiLqCF8T2w

FischAutoTechGarten
08-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Dane,
Thanks for the information. It's nice to know there are some folks who are really meticulous with their ram breeding programs. I read an update where Marco stated he has developed lines of all his strains which are flagellate and gill fluke free (common Ramirezi maladies).

So, no doubt you are hoping to secure a couple specimens of his latest in-development strain, the Sapphire Ram?