PDA

View Full Version : what kind of air pump do you recommend?

brady
05-25-2018, 12:15 PM
My Gast pump died after 5 years. I'm looking for a QUITE pump
that will handle 2-75's, 2-30's and possibly a 2- 40's.
Also, what reputable supplier?
Thank you
Jay

Discluv
05-25-2018, 12:28 PM
After going through many air pumps, I have in recent years found the Eheim Silent Air pumps one of the best for its price point. Around 40.00-45.00 at Amazon.

eugenefish
05-25-2018, 12:54 PM
+1. Super quiet.

gators111
05-25-2018, 02:44 PM
+1 on the eHEIM

LizStreithorst
05-25-2018, 03:04 PM
My Gast pump died after 5 years. I'm looking for a QUITE pump
that will handle 2-75's, 2-30's and possibly a 2- 40's.
Also, what reputable supplier?
Thank you
Jay

Good Lord, I can't believe that your Gast pump died after 5 years! I have some that are older than dirt and are still going strong. They don't like a huge amount of back pressure. I've always bled air off if I didn't have enough tanks for the capacity of the pump.

I'll sell you one of my older than dirt ones for $40. if you want to try another Gast for cheap.

Tshethar
05-25-2018, 07:36 PM
I was just trying to resolve the same question for myself and was seriously considering the Eheim as their products have always been solid for me but decided after reading Amazon reviews to try this one instead (from Hygger): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075653ZL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison but in reading the Eheim reviews somebody else recommended this over the large Eheim as it is reputedly both quieter and more powerful. I bought one for my son's bedroom and liked it enough to get a second. I don't know how it will do as far as longevity is concerned, but so far I'm impressed with its performance. Tons of output and has a large extra housing to dampen sound.

brady
05-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Good Lord, I can't believe that your Gast pump died after 5 years! I have some that are older than dirt and are still going strong. They don't like a huge amount of back pressure. I've always bled air off if I didn't have enough tanks for the capacity of the pump.

I'll sell you one of my older than dirt ones for $40. if you want to try another Gast for cheap.
Liz I misspoke when I said Gast. I meant Luft. I used Gast in my days of engineering and design, the best.
I just bought a alita 15 from Kens.
Thank you for the offer.
Jay

brewmaster15
05-26-2018, 01:37 PM
I use a linear air pump that Jehmco sells.. Lph 60 i think. Ive had it for what seems like 20 years now....or a darn long time. Quiet ...a real workhorse and never an issue. They are not cheap but I have certainly got my moneys worth.
al

LizStreithorst
05-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Jehmco uses the gast pump inside their insulated box. When I bought my Jehmco pump (the same one as yours, Al) I retired my older than dirt smaller Gast pumps. When I expanded and still didn't have enough air I pressed one of the old Gasts into use. God only knows how old the thing is but It's putting out air like there's no tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, linear pumps are the only way to go.

Adam S
05-26-2018, 03:01 PM
I thought the Jehmco pistons were rebranded Medo's. Same make as Gast?

LizStreithorst
05-26-2018, 03:03 PM
They are the same thing.