PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait

LizStreithorst
05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Miranda ordered 8 Classic Blue Leopards for me to choose 4 from. That strain is exactly what I need to breed my 2 good fish with. I choose the 4 I want. Now all I have to do is wait until Tuesday morning when they will arrive at my door. I will do my best not to die of anticipation.

I must really be hooked on these big round fish. Even I have a hard time believing that after all pain and suffering I have gone through because if them that I'm as excited as a newbie.

RogueDiscus
05-30-2018, 04:17 PM
You know what they say about addictions. Even if you stop, it lies in wait to come back stronger! :)

Disgirl
05-30-2018, 04:35 PM
And you have discus in your blood, like so many others of us do. I am looking forward to them too Liz.
Barb

Gabriel13
05-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Congrats Liz. I will be eagerly awaiting pics so please share!

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Oh man Tuesday will seem like forever. :)
Pat

brewmaster15
05-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Josie and Miranda are great people .Glad they had what you wanted Liz.I hope you get what you need and want here. Looking forward to you getting fry!
al

LizStreithorst
06-02-2018, 05:15 PM
It's Saturday now. They have separated my fish into their own tank and are starving them before shipping. Just 2 1/2 days until they will be in my tank. I have their tank ready for them. They will be here so soon but the waiting for them is still very hard.

fishbubbles
06-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Best of luck Liz, What size are they?

LizStreithorst
06-02-2018, 08:12 PM
They're old enough for me to make a pretty solid guess as to their sex. I would guess maybe somewhat over a year.

Chicago Discus
06-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Here at the Spotted Leopards that Liz is getting on Tuesday. I have them listed as 5.5" on the website, but really they are between 5.5 and 6.0". Young adults.

Hiball1
06-03-2018, 01:10 PM
What beauties

LizStreithorst
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
I tried to pick two males and two females. One of my existing fish is a proven Blue Scorpion female. My favorite fish, a Spotted Blue Snakeskin looks more and more male every day.

Thanks Miranda and Josie for bringing these in for me. I know that you weren't planning on ordering this strain. Tuesday seems so far away. I can't stand it.

Pices
06-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Now you know how I felt waiting for those angels of yours. Those leopards are gorgeous. I’m currently treating a sick (lollipop) discus and while I’m hoping for the best, this would be a nice replacement...hard to look her in the eyes now. Ha ha
Patty

LizStreithorst
06-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Now you know how I felt waiting for those angels of yours. Those leopards are gorgeous. I’m currently treating a sick (lollipop) discus and while I’m hoping for the best, this would be a nice replacement...hard to look her in the eyes now. Ha ha
Patty

I have seen this thread, Patty. You have done everything right. I don't know why your lollipop is not getting better. I would help if I could.

RogueDiscus
06-03-2018, 02:31 PM
tick...tick...tick...

Gabriel13
06-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Wow what beauties! Congrats Liz! As soon as you have fry I want some!

two utes
06-03-2018, 04:21 PM
I tried to pick two males and two females. One of my existing fish is a proven Blue Scorpion female. My favorite fish, a Spotted Blue Snakeskin looks more and more male every day.

Thanks Miranda and Josie for bringing these in for me. I know that you weren't planning on ordering this strain. Tuesday seems so far away. I can't stand it.

Wow Liz. I can see how you would get excited about receiving these. They are stunners. I would be interested to hear what your eye looks for when trying to determine male or female. I know its a bit of hit and miss but would value your opinion.
I hope you achieve what you have in mine with these.

LizStreithorst
06-04-2018, 10:59 AM
No method is fool proof but I look for two things. It becomes much easier to see when the fish approach breeding age.
First look for a pointy end to the dorsal fin. A pointy end suggests that the fish is male. A rounded end suggests a female.
Second look at the underline in the area of the vent. A more rounded underline in that area suggests a male. An underline that is slightly concave in that area suggests a female.

Pices
06-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Thanks Liz,
Well, are you ready to bust yet? I was walking around with a big grin on my face and worried that people would think I was drunk. Ha ha
Patty

LizStreithorst
06-04-2018, 02:01 PM
I'm not walking around grinning for sure. I've been around for years and have been through every shipping disaster imaginable. Even airport to airport!!!!! I will relax once I have the fish at home in my tank. What I have going on in my head is both great anticipation and a great amount of worry. Tomorrow is the Big day.

two utes
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
No method is fool proof but I look for two things. It becomes much easier to see when the fish approach breeding age.
First look for a pointy end to the dorsal fin. A pointy end suggests that the fish is male. A rounded end suggests a female.
Second look at the underline in the area of the vent. A more rounded underline in that area suggests a male. An underline that is slightly concave in that area suggests a female.

Thanks for the insight.
Its already Tuesday here in Australia, but i guess you have to wait a little longer. Hang in there ;)

Disgirl
06-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Not too much longer now. They will soon be with you!
Barb

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Today's the day! 3 1/2 more hours and they'll be here. The pins and needles I'm on are painful.

brewmaster15
06-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Today's the day! 3 1/2 more hours and they'll be here. The pins and needles I'm on are painful. Fingers Crossed for you Liz! :) I love "Getting New Fish Day"
al

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Today's the day :D:D
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 12:32 PM
They're here and swimming around in my 75. They are better in person than in the pics.

I had the fish sent to my shop because even though Priority Overnight gets them here by 10:30 but my lovely FedEx man delivers to my shop at 10 sharp. It only takes me 15 minutes to get home so the fish got to spend 15 whole minutes less in the bags. I also took the entire rest of the day off. Who knows why. Luckily it's a rainy day and nobody called to get their dog all spiffy and beautiful when it would go out in the rain to pee and have the new hair do totally ruined. Now that the fish are here and they are better than I expected I feel kind of numb. Once I recover I'll spend this lovely rainy Tuesday playing in the fish room

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2018, 12:41 PM
I think relieved is more like it. Good to hear all is well :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 12:47 PM
I've kept Discus non stop since 2001 and I feel like a dang newbie.

brewmaster15
06-05-2018, 02:56 PM
They're here and swimming around in my 75. They are better in person than in the pics.

I had the fish sent to my shop because even though Priority Overnight gets them here by 10:30 but my lovely FedEx man delivers to my shop at 10 sharp. It only takes me 15 minutes to get home so the fish got to spend 15 whole minutes less in the bags. I also took the entire rest of the day off. Who knows why. Luckily it's a rainy day and nobody called to get their dog all spiffy and beautiful when it would go out in the rain to pee and have the new hair do totally ruined. Now that the fish are here and they are better than I expected I feel kind of numb. Once I recover I'll spend this lovely rainy Tuesday playing in the fish room

Glad to hear it Liz. Enjoy the new Fish.

al

danotaylor
06-06-2018, 09:49 AM
I've kept Discus non stop since 2001 and I feel like a dang newbie.
Love it...the child likeness factor is such a cool aspect of a long term passion!
Congrats Liz

sanjay21
06-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Glad to hear they made it safe. Its always fun unboxing new fish, I feel like a kid while doing so lol.

Would love to see more pictures of these :)

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 03:48 PM
They've settled in well. In fact they are happy as clams. (I wonder where that saying came from. How does one tell that a clam is happy?) I fed them some just a bit of Al's Blackworms last night and they ate them. I scooped up a net full of mosquito larvea and they went on a hunting frenzy. I'll be posting pics soon.

Disgirl
06-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Woo hoo! I know how much you are enjoying them. Nothing like new discus....
Barb

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 03:55 PM
33 posts Liz and no pics :(

Glad they are settling in well :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 04:00 PM
33 posts Liz and no pics :(

Glad they are settling in well :)
Pat

Give me a break, Pat. They just came in yesterday.

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 04:03 PM
No, you pumped us up for a week. We expect pics!!

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 04:08 PM
I just snapped a bunch. Let me look at them and separate the wheat from the chaff. It takes a little time but I'm on it now, you nags,

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
As requested I have pics for you. Miranda sent me pics of every one of the 8 fish, but the choice was mine.

One fish is obviously the best he is a male. Two other fish are quite good. One is a male the other appears to be a female. I should have quit there but I had decided to buy 4 fish.

The first pic is about an hour out of the bag. It is a sin to post pics of big an hour out of the bags put people should know what they will see. The fish don't look happy at all. This is normal.

The second pic is of the same fish this afternoon. You can tell that they're comfortable in their new home.

The rest of the pics are of the individual fish.

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Thanks Liz. They look nice. I'm sure you'll have more to offer us later.

Gabriel13
06-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Oh my, how nice! I wish you the best with these pretty babies.

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
2 more.

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 04:48 PM
The last one. Happy now?

Altum Nut
06-06-2018, 06:25 PM
You got yourself some very fine looking Discus Liz. Thumbs up to the fine ladies behind Chicago Discus.
I possibly see 2 males 2 females but think you will get a pair for sure.

...Ralph

Adam S
06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
They all look great, but I really like the one (maybe two) with the coppery head and more pronounced bars. They certainly live up to the hype.

LizStreithorst
06-06-2018, 08:16 PM
For some reason one of the pics didn't post. Oh well...

The bottom line is that I am totally delighted. All I needed was one good male and one good female to breed with my existing good female and male fish. But it's not wise to buy just to in case you make a mistake. I received what I needed and I have two other good fish I may want to use at a later time.

In case anyone hasn't noticed I am totally into breeding. If I can't breed fish keeping is no fun for me.

Altum Nut
06-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Well Liz we already know that your offspring half black angels are of good quality so I can't expect anything less with your Discus breeding program. You have the knowledge and will to get it done...so the best of luck to you moving forward.

...Ralph

Pices
06-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Nice Liz
Looks like you got the cream of the crop (another weird saying).
Patty

Second Hand Pat
06-06-2018, 10:27 PM
They are gorgeous Liz :) well done!!
Pat

danotaylor
06-07-2018, 01:31 AM
Very nice Liz...fun times!!