PDA

View Full Version : Any bleu cheese fans out there?

RogueDiscus
06-05-2018, 08:09 PM
We have an award winning, world class bleu cheese creamery here, about a mile from me, the Rogue Creamery. They make at least a half dozen different varieties of blue cheese, several voted tops in world competitions. I get to snack on them here :) Kind of wondering if anyone going to NADA would enjoy some if I brought it.

discuspaul
06-05-2018, 08:27 PM
I'm in for a standard measure of it, Steve, if it can be kept refrigerated for the time we're there - I love Blue Cheese & have several excellent recipes to use it in too - so I'd love to be able to take some home with me. Bring their best & I'll cover whatever the cost is.

Wait - on second thought - I'm not sure the airline will allow something like that to be brought in on carry-on luggage or otherwise. I'll see what I can find out.

Well, in any event, I'd sure like to taste it.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 08:30 PM
If I had been given that incentive before I'd decided not to go I might decided to go after all. (not really). Do they have a website do they ship. I buy cheese from Murray's Cheese but only when my craving is huge. It's very costly. Zingerman's has some good cheeses too.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Is this the place, Steve? http://www.roguecreamery.com/store/

discuspaul
06-05-2018, 08:42 PM
I think it is, Liz - it's in Central Point Oregon - I'd heard of it before.

Do you live in Oregon, Steve ?

RogueDiscus
06-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I think it is, Liz - it's in Central Point Oregon - I'd heard of it before.

Do you live in Oregon, Steve ?

Yes, like I said, less than a mile from the creamery. CP is a small town connected to medium town Medford, Oregon.

Here's their site.

http://www.roguecreamery.com/store/

The Crater Lake Bleu is mild yet very tasty, a favorite crumbled on salads. But the Rogue River Bleu is amazing, needs to be eaten for itself, maybe a cracker and a drink :) Everything in between has its own subtle flavor difference.

Oh, missed that Liz, yes.

brady
06-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Hi guys
I am a fanatic when it comes to blue especially stilton from England.
I make cheese and stilton type cheese is my favorite. People love it
but by law I can't sell it.

Jay

LizStreithorst
06-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Hi guys

Jay

Will you marry me please, Jay? I give good fish ;)

discuspaul
06-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Steve, the Rogue River Bleu sounds great - will you bring some of that with you to NADA ? Please.

brewmaster15
06-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Steve, cheeses are just one more vise on that long list I keep.If I were going to the show Id love to snack on it! We hit the vineyards out here in CT for wine and cheese tastings that focus on local cheeses.

Hi guys

Jay

Hey Jay, How many years have we known each other ? And This is the first I hear.of this?! Id have traded you Bh mix or fish anytime bud.:) lol
al

brady
06-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Al
I started making cheese about 10 years ago to add to my wine and beer making.
Think raising discus is a challenge, try making blue cheese.
I have 2 now that should be ready in about 4 months.If it's any good
I'll bring some down along with a bottle of my award winning wine[ bronze medal]
in a fairly big competition.
Have those fish ready.
Jay

brady
06-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Will you marry me please, Jay? I give good fish ;)

LIz
where do you live? I'm packing the car as we speak.LOL
Jay

Keith Perkins
06-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Hell yes Steve, I love bleu cheese.

discuspaul
06-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Steve, apparently there are some dairy products that are disallowed to be brought into Canada from the U.S. but I wasn't able to get full details on what specifically they are - so I'd rather not take the risk of being hassled upon coming back into Vancouver with some of your cheese.
But I'd sure like to taste some if you bring a sample blue to NADA with you.

RogueDiscus
06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
I'll plan to bring some cheese. Maybe someone else could pick up some crackers (some whole grain, maybe sesame). I'm hoping folks will want to hang out Thursday or Friday evening, maybe in the showroom, to socialize and have a couple brews or a glass of wine. Or maybe someone will offer their room (I'll be on my own those couple days :) ).

Altum Nut
06-06-2018, 09:12 PM
I'll plan to bring some cheese. Maybe someone else could pick up some crackers (some whole grain, maybe sesame). I'm hoping folks will want to hang out Thursday or Friday evening, maybe in the showroom, to socialize and have a couple brews or a glass of wine. (I'll be on my own those couple days :) ).

Steve you will have many best friends and we will definitely share some good times in the fishroom.
Wine is my preference with some good cheese/crackers. But I can't get photos that my wife will see enjoying myself because I already told her the Nada folks are going to work me like a dog the whole time.

...Ralph

Keith Perkins
06-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Someone else can bring the crackers, put me down for supplying a bottle of Wollersheim Eagle White.

Jenene
06-10-2018, 06:17 AM
This is why I love this forum. You just never know what’s gonna pop up. I’ve always liked blue cheese...I’m not an expert nor have I ever made it but this is kinda funny.

My daughter Lindsay has always been very sensitive to anything big... loud sounds, extreme temperatures, textures of clothing... you get the idea. I would never have seen this coming since the flavors are so “big” in blue cheese but as a tiny girl and to this day it’s been her all time favorite food. She’ll pick up a chunk and just start noshing on it. She will not be attending NADA with me but lives nearby in Manhattan and will certainly hear about the back room cheese tasting going on. It will most likely set the craving in motion and send her out to the market. ;)

discuspaul
07-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Well, I'm sure it's been said before in another thread - the blue cheese that Steve brought to the show was truly out of this world - best I've ever had, and I thought France had the edge there - but not so.

Sometime soon I'll be making a point to go down Steve's way in Oregon & get some of that fabulous blue !

Did you taste it Jenene ? If you didn't, you'll wish you had if you ever get the chance to taste it for the first time in future.

I know that if we hadn't been concerned about leaving some for others coming around later, Ricardo & I would have eaten the whole slab !

Keith Perkins
07-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Well I appreciate the fact that you and Ricardo left some Paul. It was awesome, even the one variety I didn't think I'd care for.

Thanks for the idea and bringing it Steve.

rickztahone
07-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Well, I'm sure it's been said before in another thread - the blue cheese that Steve brought to the show was truly out of this world - best I've ever had, and I thought France had the edge there - but not so.

Sometime soon I'll be making a point to go down Steve's way in Oregon & get some of that fabulous blue !

Did you taste it Jenene ? If you didn't, you'll wish you had if you ever get the chance to taste it for the first time in future.

I know that if we hadn't been concerned about leaving some for others coming around later, Ricardo & I would have eaten the whole slab !

Fact! lol

RogueDiscus
07-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it. Like I said there, I have nothing to do with it, but I'm kind of proud of our little creamery in town.

discuspaul
07-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it. Like I said there, I have nothing to do with it, but I'm kind of proud of our little creamery in town.

I'd be proud too if I lived near that creamery !

Steve, I just tried a new blue cheese my wife bought for me yesterday, made in Chilliwack, B.C., a farming region not far from our city which is known as the 'dairy capital of B.C.'

IMO your Rogue Blue deserves a rating of 10, whereas this local one, while quite good, would rate a 7 at best - similar to the mildest one of the 3 that you brought to the show !

xKevinx
10-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Can't go wrong with a nice juicy homemade burger patty topped with blue cheese and bacon!
Mmmmm

LizStreithorst
10-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Hmmm...I've never tried blue cheese on a burger. I always go with extra sharp cheddar. Thanks for a good idea.