PDA

View Full Version : Breeding discus

Kfactor
06-05-2018, 11:08 PM
One day I would like to try my hand at breeding discus . I got my first 6 discus at about a 1” or 1 1/2 “ size and love raising them and watching them grow . My question is for the money u put in to breeding them and what not will u get it back ? Am not really worried about making money from it I just think I would enjoy doing it more as another hobbie .

RogueDiscus
06-05-2018, 11:17 PM
No, you won't make your money back. Water, heat, food, culling, ...You need to do it because you like to do it, and maybe you raise some nice fish. I think you'd have to have high volume, several pairs breeding consistently, with a steadysales source, to may be break even. Not what the hobbyist is usually in for. That said, I do it for the reasons I mentioned.

Kfactor
06-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Yea I want to do it more to have fun with it . I want to make a small breeding rack to try it out

Captain Discus
06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
K, Steve is right a lot of work for no profit. I built a 12 tank 30 gallon each breeder setup with a sump that I could isolate each tank so the little ones would not go down the drain.
Now you need a heater for each tank more expense. I even plumbed the make up water to change the sump without disturbing the separate tanks .
If you would like ideas on a build I could gladly send some pictures it has been shut down a while though.
Tom.

fishbubbles
06-10-2018, 08:07 PM
I have 6 breeding tanks in my garage that are for breeding pairs and grow outs. By the time you add up food, electric, water, and maintenance, the costs will outweigh the profits. I breed strictly for my enjoyment because I'm always fascinated in the process.