PDA

View Full Version : Contest Rules for "Your Hobby, Your Story"

brewmaster15
06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
This contest is a classic story book contest. The goal is for members to share their fish keeping stories and hobby with fellow hobbyists here over a 3 month time period. SimplyDiscus will create a special forum section for this to occur in. A member may start up to 3 threads that follow a particular tank of fish they keep It can be Discus or non Discus but must be Fresh water. It can be a grow out tank, a breeding pair, planted or invertebrate tank. It can also be an experimental tank where you are doing something different. There is no set posting requirements but understand that the more you post the better the chance you will win as the contest will be judged by the forum members based on how interesting, informative or just plan cool it is. Basically members will pick the winners by who has shared their hobby best. At judging time we provide some general guidelines for what members should consider.

There is no cost to enter. There will be cash prizes and international members are encouraged to participate. The prize can be sent via paypal or wired.

Prizes to date...

First place $200.00 USD
Second place $100 USD

More Prizes may be added.

The Rules:
1) No off site linked images. You must use the forum software to post the pictures.This will ensure we have this contest saved on our server.
2) You are allowed 1 video per week, a maximum of 8 Videos total . You do not need to use Videos at all
3) Discussions are encouraged, you must be willing to respond to inquiries
4) You are allowed up to 3 threads detailing a specific tank of fish. Once a thread is started you can not change it. A member may start up to 3 threads that follow a particular tank of fish they keep It can be Discus or non Discus but must be Fresh water. It can be a grow out tank, a breeding pair, planted or invertebrate tank. It can also be an experimental tank where you are doing something different.
5) Contest enrollment period is today (June 8,2018) thru June 15, 2018. No additional entries can be made after this 1 week window.
6) You agree by participating in this contest that you will abide by the rules and should there be any issues that arise you accept the forum's decisions in these and contest matters.

Thats It. Its pretty straightforward. If you have any questions, post them here.

Additionally, I am adding a 3rd prize, This prize will address the first contest I had of the "last man standing" Of all the contestants, The top 5 posters that post the most numbers of days will be entered to win $100 (random drawing) as well as will be eligible for the 1st and 2nd place Prizes.

Understand that prizes in this contest are being DONATED by members here.
Brewmaster15 .............$200
Second Hand Pat ....... .$100
Captain Discus.............$100

I would like to thank Pat (Second Hand Pat)and Tom (Captain Discus) for stepping up and helping me fund the prizes. This contest is about hobbyists, and you two are very Cool hobbyists in my book. Thanks!

Any questions?

Good Luck everyone. Contest starts today and Ends on September 8

-Al

zhuls1
06-09-2018, 05:13 AM
How do we enroll?

zhuls1
06-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Never mind, found it!

lastflea
06-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Can I enter my tank that's almost cycled, so no fish yet? So basically a build thread on a display and grow tank combined.

Second Hand Pat
06-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Can I enter my tank that's almost cycled, so no fish yet? So basically a build thread on a display and grow tank combined.

Hi Rob, will there be fish in it at some point in the thread?
Pat

lastflea
06-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Hi Rob, will there be fish in it at some point in the thread?
Pat

Hi Pat. Yes there will. In fact, I came home this evening to find ammonia/nitrite at 0ppm for the first time. Just got to do a repair to the base cabinet, then scape and add stock. So fish will be in there quite soon :)

Second Hand Pat
06-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Hi Pat. Yes there will. In fact, I came home this evening to find ammonia/nitrite at 0ppm for the first time. Just got to do a repair to the base cabinet, then scape and add stock. So fish will be in there quite soon :)

Go for it Rob :)
Pat

lastflea
06-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Go for it Rob :)
Pat

Yay...... Cheers Pat :)

Loosir
06-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Can I start one thread from my entire system? it has two different tanks attached to one sump but it’s in my entire Discus hobby and it’s more interesting than just one tank.
Thanks115868

Second Hand Pat
06-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Hi Geoff, if you read the rules Al specifically said one thread for a specific tank. Just make it two threads :)
Pat

Loosir
06-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Thanks Pat, I think I’ll put my efforts into the grow out tank and sump and leave the original tank out of this contest thanks!

danotaylor
06-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Al can I enter my tank that is currently an african community tank that is being being sold off and transitioned to discus? Timeline indeterminate on the transition so it may stay african the duration of the contest, but may switch over mid-way. Please advise. Thanks mate

brewmaster15
06-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Al can I enter my tank that is currently an african community tank that is being being sold off and transitioned to discus? Timeline indeterminate on the transition so it may stay african the duration of the contest, but may switch over mid-way. Please advise. Thanks mate

Sure.. Thats fine. Be interesting to see what you decide to do :)

brewmaster15
06-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Ive been asked about posting imagesfor the contest and the requirement that they be hosted by Simply not offsite . , Theres 2 threads that may be of use to you all.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118490-Continual-Improvement-Image-hosting-changes

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126112-Camera-Phone-Users-read-this

I highly suggest you have a look at these two threads :)

thanks.
al

ashtricks
06-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Are patio ponds ok?

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Are patio ponds ok?

Sure :)

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Just a reminder that the window for enrollment in the "Your Hobby, Your Contest" contest will close June 16th at 6am. The little extra time is for any international members who might want to enter the contest.
Thanks,
Pat

brewmaster15
08-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Hello all,
Well I made a royal mess of of this contest :( :( :(... classic multi-tasking mistake. I guess I lost track.of the time! I somehow had it on my calendar the contest ended the end of August and I just went to post a 1 week left notice when I realized we missed the deadline by 2 weeks. This contest was supposed to end on August 8! Thats a first for me and I do apologize. Rather than just ending it today I opted to extend it to a full 3 months which is only 2 weeks away.The contest will end on September 8th. Hopefully the contestants have enjoyed the time spent sharing their hobby and wont mind.

Sorry everyone!

Al

LizStreithorst
08-24-2018, 07:31 AM
No problemo :)

Pices
08-24-2018, 12:08 PM
3 months is great! More time to follow some of my favorite threads, more time for people to post pics. Yipee!
Patty

brewmaster15
09-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Hi all,
We are coming on the close of the competition (Sept 8). It would be cool if participants could sum up the last 3 months and share their thoughts in their threads. Did you enjoy the contest? Was there something you really though was great that you witnessed in your tanks? Since we are a community here this was a time for you all to shine and show off ... did you? Also what about your fellow entrants? Was there something they did or showed that interested you or inspired you?

Shortly after the 8th we will post a poll for the forum to vote on as to the winnners of the cash prizes.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Al

Second Hand Pat
09-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Hey all,

Will all participants add closing comments to their "Your Hobby, Your Story" threads. I will give this a day or two and will then post a poll.

Pat

LizStreithorst
09-09-2018, 01:59 PM
OMG, I thought we had until the 18th. I planned on taking pics later this evening when there is less glare on the tank. I'll sum it all up at the same time.

Second Hand Pat
09-09-2018, 02:04 PM
That is why I am giving you guys a couple days Liz :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
09-09-2018, 03:18 PM
I could use another month, but thanks. Another couple of days will work. ;)

Second Hand Pat
09-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Hey all,

Another reminder to please add closing comments to your "Your Hobby, Your Story" threads. I will close all threads tomorrow afternoon and post the poll later in the week.

Pat