PDA

View Full Version : My Hobby, My Story Contest Thread

Pices
06-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Wasn’t even going to try after seeing the competition here, but my word is good so here is a pic of my 125 gal tank with my Discus from Kenny received on 9/25/16 & 10/24/16. I looked one day and was surprised to realize that I’d had them 2 yrs. I apparently didn’t have my reading glasses on (the 9 looked like a 4). Turns out I have time to plan a party complete with worm cake now.
I grew them up in a 75 gal and recently moved them into their new home. I’m also experimenting with the Anoxic Filtration System. I’m not getting the great results others are reporting however- with or without my readers.

Second Hand Pat
06-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Patty, this is your story. The tank and fish look great. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your tank and fish. :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-08-2018, 09:20 PM
I can't see the pics. (?)

danotaylor
06-08-2018, 11:48 PM
me neither...

brewmaster15
06-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Me neither, :( I'm looking into it. Must be a gremlin. Can you repost the pics Patty?
Thanks
al

Pices
06-09-2018, 09:55 AM
115828115829Hope this works

brewmaster15
06-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Thanks Patty! I see them fine now. I'm trying to trouble shoot whats going on.

Al

Gabriel13
06-09-2018, 01:23 PM
My goodness, that's one clean but very pretty tank! Love the blues

Neo922
06-09-2018, 02:16 PM
The tank is so clear and they are very pretty 🙂👌🏻👌🏻

brewmaster15
06-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Patty you shamed me into wiping the glass down on all my tanks! :)

Al

Gabriel13
06-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Can we please talk about your filtration and see some pics of it. Very impressive!

Pices
06-09-2018, 11:13 PM
I appreciate all the compliments on how clean my tank is, but I’ve been stumped because in spite of my cleaning regime, my 125 tank is driving me batty! Why? Because when I do a wc, I see all this crap in the water column. I clean my filters, my glass, my water storage containers. I learned how to clean the bulkheads, but still all this crap when I fill refill the tank.
So, while doing a wc last night, I tap the syphon hose on the intake filter( the only place I haven’t cleaned. It’s a small panel that takes the dirty water out on each corner of the overflow and what do I see? Crud! That’s where the crap is coming from. I will show you in a video tomorrow. This is my first overflow type tank and though it looks great for a see through tank, it’s been my Achilles heal as far as discus keeping. I have a fish in a hospital tank I’m trying to save and I couldn’t figure out why she got sick. Now I know, that’s great, but what now?

Pices
06-10-2018, 08:28 AM
I found an old thread I’d posted on how to clean the hoses and I’m going to do it. I couldn’t get my husbands help before and was afraid to do it by myself. It was a baby step cleaning the bulkheads. Another baby step here. One dryer vent brush added to my to do list today. Then it’s good bye and good riddance crud!

Jenene
06-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Hi Patty! Your tank looks great!

I had the same issue since I have a corner flow tank too. I had a problem with my sump hoses leaking and hired an aquarium maintenance guy to fix it last year. At the time I asked him to pull the tubes out so I could clean them. He thought I was nuts. Said my tank was too clean. No such thing. I humored him and told him it was ocd. I completely get your frustration. You spend time putting clean water in....then turn on the pump to see garbage flying out of the return back into your clean tank! Ahhhhh!!!! It was great for a long time but is just starting to gunk up again. It scares me to pull on those tubes though. I am always visualizing cracking the tube, tank or something else that can’t be fixed in a timely manor. It’s tough to get brushes in them too..
It’s good to see them all happy and bright. Throw that pic out to Kenny. He’d love to see it. :D

LizStreithorst
06-10-2018, 08:48 AM
I'm glad you found the problem. I can understand how it was driving you batty.

Pices
06-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Can we please talk about your filtration and see some pics of it. Very impressive!

Gabriel,
I’m still on the fence with the Anoxic Filtration System and overflows/sumps. I will start with overflow system cleaning today and keep you posted.

Pices
06-10-2018, 09:17 AM
I'm glad you found the problem. I can understand how it was driving you batty.
Every single wc! My husband still balks, but he is grudgingly going to help so I hope this solves the problem or I’ll have to listen to him-ugh! Fingers crossed!

Gabriel13
06-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Gabriel,
I’m still on the fence with the Anoxic Filtration System and overflows/sumps. I will start with overflow system cleaning today and keep you posted.

Thank you Patty.

Pices
06-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Hi Patty! Your tank looks great!

I had the same issue since I have a corner flow tank too. I had a problem with my sump hoses leaking and hired an aquarium maintenance guy to fix it last year. At the time I asked him to pull the tubes out so I could clean them. He thought I was nuts. Said my tank was too clean. No such thing. I humored him and told him it was ocd. I completely get your frustration. You spend time putting clean water in....then turn on the pump to see garbage flying out of the return back into your clean tank! Ahhhhh!!!! It was great for a long time but is just starting to gunk up again. It scares me to pull on those tubes though. I am always visualizing cracking the tube, tank or something else that can’t be fixed in a timely manor. It’s tough to get brushes in them too..
It’s good to see them all happy and bright. Throw that pic out to Kenny. He’d love to see it. :D
You are my leader in forging ahead. Every time I look at those hoses under the tank and think of undoing those clamps, I picture 125 gallons of water pouring out everywhere. That fear over rides my OCD as I don’t have a valve shut off. Do you have valves that turn off? Thanks in advance my fearless tank hose leader!
Patty

Pices
06-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Thanks Patty! I see them fine now. I'm trying to trouble shoot whats going on.

Al
Al, I think the problem is I updated my old phone and synced it to my i pad, but my i pad is old. Time to break down and get a new one. I loaded the ones that did show from work during a lull before the storm. Sorry I couldn’t follow up sooner.

lastflea
06-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Hey Patty, looks like you're the only anoxic entry, so far... :D

Will be putting my tank in when I have something to photograph. Will just be the hardscape, but get ready for a fellow experimentalist....

Great to see your tank and fish, looking very, very nice indeed. Good luck. Rob :)

Pices
06-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Thanks Rob,
I’ve been reading your afs thread. Glad to hear you’ll bringing your experiment here too. To that end here are my results a few hrs after wc. I usually test on the alternating day when I haven’t done wc. This is after cleaning corner overflows. I found out that the black corner overflows have a center panel that can be lifted out and I attacked the crud that had been built up there. My tank water was so dirty with this gunk that I skipped doing the hoses, till next week when hubby is on vacation. I am now as fearless as Jenene.
I didn’t add liquid iron to my baskets as you did, so it would be interesting to see our progress in this regard. Today I’m just back to loving my tank sans gunk.:o Here’s my results115866

Pices
06-10-2018, 07:55 PM
And my clean tank!115869
And happy fish115870

Gabriel13
06-10-2018, 09:27 PM
If it wasn't for the bubbles I wouldn't be able to tell if there was water in there! Love it!!

Pices
06-10-2018, 11:05 PM

Now that I’ve finally figured out the overflow system, I thought I’d show you my sump and bionitrification baskets:115875115876115877

Pices
06-10-2018, 11:18 PM
The first pick is of my right side and the return pump. The second is of my bionitrification baskets . The third is of my filter socks. I have 3 more baskets under the filter socks for 9 total baskets. Here’s another pic that shows the heaters in my 1st chamber on the left115878. These baskets are suppose to gas off nitrates so you (in theory) don’t have to take them out through wc. I’m not convinced but will continue for now as my water is pretty clear.

Pices
06-12-2018, 09:48 PM
A picture of my favorite 116016

Neo922
06-12-2018, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Pices;1289479]And my clean tank!115869

Looks like they are barreling down a highway :)

(The Fifth Element)

Pices
06-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Now that’s funny!

Gabriel13
06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
How long have you been running the baskets in your system?

LizStreithorst
06-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Patty, You are going through too much to keep your fish healthy. All you need is sponge filters and WC. Sponges are not attractive and you like an attractive tank. I guess I'm more about the fish than I am about am about the beauty of the tank. Al uses HOB's. They're easy too. Why not make keeping Discus easy on yourself. I found out a long time ago that then newest idea wasn't always the best idea for me.

BTW, your fish look happy and healthy.

Pices
06-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Well it’s not as hard as I thought. The gunk was coming from this panel on the overflow that just slides out the top. I wish I’d have known that a year ago! Duh! This is my first overflow tank so I’ve just had to learn a few tricks. I think I overdo it though. I’m told that I don’t have to do the hoses and that the stuff that comes out won’t harm the fish, but I think once a yr gives me peace of mind. I also like being able to see any dirt in the sump and not having to squeeze the bjesus out of those sponges. I just vacuum the bottom on occasion and it takes seconds to change filter socks. I was ready to do everything you suggested till I lifted that darn panel and heard the angels sing! Ha ha
Patty

Pices
06-16-2018, 05:09 PM
How long have you been running the baskets in your system?
Gabriel,
I started the baskets on 4/6/18. The question of water flow came up in the afs thread. Then someone downloaded the video by Dr Novak (your contest thread maybe?) Anyway, I watched it again and saw that he added a little pump to help with flow so the water would flow around the baskets and I had a lightbulb moment. I added a little fountain pump to my sump last night and will see if my readings improve now.
Do you have a plenum and a pump?

Pices
06-16-2018, 05:26 PM
I haven’t posted much on my 125 gal since there wasn’t much happening until today. My husband and I drained the corner overflows and cleaned the tubes/hoses. It was much easier than I expected. I also bought the best wipe down pad I’ve ever used and I’m the queen of wipes! This pad is the best $3.99 I ever spent. I’ll post a pic.
While wiping the outside, I noticed this tiny little worm and tied to film it. It is so small I really had a hard time, but I’ll try to download it.
Then while trying to film the tiny worm I noticed that I’m not the only one who likes my new wipe. I cleaned the algae off both overflows (easily with this pad) and noticed my BD’s doing the egg laying motion and pecking. My Red Fugi and Koi are mesmerized with the other corner flow. I’ll take pics tonight when there isn’t so much glare.
Till then, the pad116133
I’ll try to load the video. New at this so might take a minute.

Pices
06-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Hope I can download this now
https://youtu.be/q67qCOhoJeQ

Pices
06-16-2018, 07:18 PM
This video is really bad I saw it, then I lost it but I see it cruise by at the very end. Does anyone know what this is?
Patty

two utes
06-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Have no idea what that was but can see you were distracted by it.

Try embedding your clip by using the 'Insert Video' button in the box ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q67qCOhoJeQ&feature=youtu.be

Hope you find and take care of that little critter.

Good luck

LizStreithorst
06-16-2018, 07:39 PM
I saw it. I have no clue what it is. But if your fish are showing sexual behavior I wouldn't worry about it.

Adam S
06-16-2018, 07:46 PM
How large was it? If you wring out a mature sponge, you'll see tons of tiny, free-swimming nematodes. Wouldn't worry about it either.

Pices
06-16-2018, 09:17 PM
It was about the diameter of a fdbw, but shorter and a good swimmer.

Pices
06-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Some pics116144116145116146116147

Pices
06-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Pices
06-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Do I hear Marvin Gaye playing?

Pices
06-17-2018, 09:47 AM
I just added a little pump to my sump to increase water flow around my afs baskets. Nitrate reading this morning:116166

Pices
06-17-2018, 09:50 AM
The tube on the left is the nitrate reading of my tap and wasn’t at 5 minutes in 1st pic. Here is that result116167

Pices
06-17-2018, 09:12 PM
How large was it? If you wring out a mature sponge, you'll see tons of tiny, free-swimming nematodes. Wouldn't worry about it either.

Thanks Adam. I looked at some videos on line (people with better skills than me-ha ha) You are right even with my terrible video! You really are a fish whisperer.
Patty

Pices
06-17-2018, 09:27 PM
So there were no eggs this morning and it seems the spell has been broken for the BD’s. The Koi and Fugi Red we’re practicing (still are) with Koi sliding her belly on the overflow. I’ll try to take a pic but I haven’t been having any luck loading pics today on my other thread.116177
Odd that it works here but not there. It’s not a good shot because I didn’t expect to work. Sorry

Gabriel13
06-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Patty I've seen those same worms around my sponge filter too. I have no idea where they can from.

0Dgreen
06-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Love the setup Patty, btw what kind of Cory Cats are those?(I like the green tint they have) I used to dislike Corys for some reason, i recently put a school of albinos in my planted tank...and I enjoy watching them more than any fish in the room, they are super entertaining.

Pices
06-20-2018, 03:59 PM
I think they are called bronze, but I like the green tint too. I’d like to add some more. They are a great clean up crew and can take the higher temps like the Sterbai cories. I’d like some for my angel tank as soon as I get my hospital tank back I’m looking for some for both tanks. I love the way they swim or sit together in a group.

Loosir
06-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Patty your tank is gorgeous!

Adam S
06-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Love the setup Patty, btw what kind of Cory Cats are those?(I like the green tint they have) I used to dislike Corys for some reason, i recently put a school of albinos in my planted tank...and I enjoy watching them more than any fish in the room, they are super entertaining.
Corydoras aeneus. Not the absolute best choice for discus temps, but they survive no problem. The commercial strains are tough as nails.

Pices
06-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Patty your tank is gorgeous!
Thanks Geoff,
It would be more gorgeous if it had one of those heavenly silver pigeons of yours.
Patty

Pices
06-21-2018, 08:16 AM
Corydoras aeneus. Not the absolute best choice for discus temps, but they survive no problem. The commercial strains are tough as nails.
These must be commercial strains. I worried when I raised the temp to 84 for 3 weeks, but they handled it. I do miss the Cory tracks I’d see in the morning when I had sand. What’s the optimal temp for Bronze (Aeneas) Cory’s?
On another note, I checked my tds and it was 225-228. Those beautiful plecos of yours like 100:(.

Adam S
06-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Ideal is anywhere from mid 60's to 80, give or take. The only reason I said "not the absolute best" is because the warm water cories do exceptionally well at discus temps.

That TDS is fine for zebras. People even breed them at much higher TDS readings.

Pices
06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks Adam. I’m wanting to get maybe 6 Sterbae and some more bronze Cory’s. So now I’m thinking of putting my bronze in the angel tank (temp 80) and putting the Sterbae in the discus tank. It will be a while before I can add anything as my quarantine tank is a hospital tank at the moment. One or two of those cute little zebras would be great for my discus tank too. I’m not looking to breed, but have to admit it’d be pretty cool.
Patty

Pices
06-21-2018, 12:20 PM
My discus are easiest to photograph during that magical time right after wc. I have to take pics from the back of the tank because of the reflection with the light that comes through the sliding glass doors. 116286116287116288116289

prittbotha
06-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Super Clean Tank!!

Pices
06-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Thanks prittbotha. They seem to be happy.

Swedgin
06-21-2018, 03:21 PM
That’s really nice, squeaky clean. I could learn a thing or 2 from you

Pices
06-21-2018, 04:20 PM
That’s really nice, squeaky clean. I could learn a thing or 2 from you
I’ve been following your thread and from what I’ve seen you are way ahead of the curve Tobi.

Swedgin
06-22-2018, 01:46 PM
I’ve been following your thread and from what I’ve seen you are way ahead of the curve Tobi.

Haha, I wish, Patty. The book You could fill with the things I don’t know.....

A lot of luck and the fact that wilds seem to be way less sensitive than domestics (had Asian and Stendkers at different times).

Pices
06-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Haha, I wish, Patty. The book You could fill with the things I don’t know.....

A lot of luck and the fact that wilds seem to be way less sensitive than domestics (had Asian and Stendkers at different times).
Are you kidding? I thought the wilds were more difficult? People seem to start with domestics and graduate to wilds (like I someday hope to do). For now I have to live my dream through you. Ha ha
My goal was to never have to deal with a sick discus, but that was an unrealistic goal. It is the reason I keep everything clean as it’s easier than dealing with a sick discus. If I had a nickel for every thread I’ve read on sickness, I’d have enough money for a 600 gal tank!
Patty

Pices
06-24-2018, 10:37 PM
This is the story of John Snow. He was an add on to my replacement fish after losing 2 fish during a shipping fiasco. He is my runt. Him and my lil cobalt blue were the low men in the pecking order arriving 1 month later. My 3rd replacement, a blue sapphire looked very similar to my blue diamond at the top of the pecking order so was safe as he was infatuated with her.
During one of our daily wc’s my husband called him John Snow after the Game of Thrones character and it stuck. He was a Snow White discus, but not brave though one could hope he’d get there.
He was chased and would hide but always came out to eat. The day leading up to moving my fish into their 125 gal was a busy time with large wc for both tanks. That’s when I noticed that John wasn’t eating and his belly was swollen. I’d never dealt with illness or bloat. My goal being to keep doing wc's so I’d never have to learn.
Still, I ended up in the disease/ sickness section and suddenly remembered that the character in the series died and I thought we’d really picked the wrong name, but the great people here guided me through my first Epsom salt treatment and after a 6 nail biting days he passed the blockage. I’d never cured a fish before. He recovered slowly, but eventually began to eat and slowly but surely he grew stronger.
In the TV show, the character was brought back to life and our little John Snow did the same. He was lonely spending 5-6 weeks by himself without his tankmates. He would hang out at the far end of his tank that was closet to the 125. The tanks aren’t close to each other but I do think he could see them at night with the tank light on.
When I finally put him in his new home, he was so happy and immediately schooled with his tank mates and would stop to swim up to one, then swim and go up to another and look him in the face. He greeted them all. They must have missed him too because they didn’t pick on him after that. He’s not the King, but hey who knows what will happen next season. 116342116343

LizStreithorst
06-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Great story and excellent picture of him. You're a good writer, Patty.

Pices
06-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Glad you liked his story Liz.
I have Lucas Smith to thank for helping me through it all. He encouraged me to raise the temp, do daily wc’s, to give it time and NOT to throw in another treatment. When I was anxious to get him back to his tankmates, he was the voice of reason. He saved my fish and let me know I wasn’t alone. Thank you Lucas Smith! You are a true Prince among men. I can’t remember the name of the character who brought John Snow back to life and don’t want to jinx anyone else so I’ll stick with Prince! Ha ha
Patty

sanjay21
06-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Very nice thread Patty ! Tank looks as clean as it can get :) Fish looks awesome and healthy. I enjoyed going over this thread.

Swedgin
06-25-2018, 03:20 PM
This is the story of John Snow. He was an add on to my replacement fish after losing 2 fish during a shipping fiasco. He is my runt. Him and my lil cobalt blue were the low men in the pecking order arriving 1 month later. My 3rd replacement, a blue sapphire looked very similar to my blue diamond at the top of the pecking order so was safe as he was infatuated with her.
During one of our daily wc’s my husband called him John Snow after the Game of Thrones character and it stuck. He was a Snow White discus, but not brave though one could hope he’d get there.
He was chased and would hide but always came out to eat. The day leading up to moving my fish into their 125 gal was a busy time with large wc for both tanks. That’s when I noticed that John wasn’t eating and his belly was swollen. I’d never dealt with illness or bloat. My goal being to keep doing wc's so I’d never have to learn.
Still, I ended up in the disease/ sickness section and suddenly remembered that the character in the series died and I thought we’d really picked the wrong name, but the great people here guided me through my first Epsom salt treatment and after a 6 nail biting days he passed the blockage. I’d never cured a fish before. He recovered slowly, but eventually began to eat and slowly but surely he grew stronger.
In the TV show, the character was brought back to life and our little John Snow did the same. He was lonely spending 5-6 weeks by himself without his tankmates. He would hang out at the far end of his tank that was closet to the 125. The tanks aren’t close to each other but I do think he could see them at night with the tank light on.
When I finally put him in his new home, he was so happy and immediately schooled with his tank mates and would stop to swim up to one, then swim and go up to another and look him in the face. He greeted them all. They must have missed him too because they didn’t pick on him after that. He’s not the King, but hey who knows what will happen next season

Gotta love a runt. Had one, too. Held on for a year but in the end he didn’t make it. Glad to see yours thriving

prittbotha
06-25-2018, 03:59 PM
My wife's favorite Discus is my Runt Blue Cobalt. You cant help but Love them!

LizStreithorst
06-25-2018, 09:17 PM
I don't believe that John Snow is a runt. He was just a small guy thrown in as an add on sent with replacement fish. As a little dude he got beat up and did poorly as a result. He looks good now.

Pices
06-25-2018, 10:02 PM
He is little, but he’s strong and I do love my little guy. He’s fearless after going through hell and back. He’s far from show quality, but you gotta admire his moxie!
Patty

Pices
06-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Very nice thread Patty ! Tank looks as clean as it can get :) Fish looks awesome and healthy. I enjoyed going over this thread.

Thanks Sanjay,
I think you are pretty fearless yourself with those fry. I was speechless when I saw that. I was trying to keep 1 fish alive and you’re being mom and dad to what? A hundred fry? Now that’s moxie!
Patty

sanjay21
06-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Thanks Sanjay,
I think you are pretty fearless yourself with those fry. I was speechless when I saw that. I was trying to keep 1 fish alive and you’re being mom and dad to what? A hundred fry? Now that’s moxie!
Patty

Haha thanks Patty, its my first experience growing them right from eggs stage. I will keep the thread posted as they progress :)

Swedgin
06-26-2018, 12:39 PM
I don't believe that John Snow is a runt. He was just a small guy thrown in as an add on sent with replacement fish. As a little dude he got beat up and did poorly as a result. He looks good now.

Meant no offense

Pices
06-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Meant no offense

When I read about your guy dying, I felt my heart sink. Liz knows how I worry about my fish. I only asked her 100 million questions about the angels I got from her. I think she wrote that not to offend you as much as to stop me from worrying. Thank you Liz, it’s like you read my mind cause I saw your post and sighed. �� no worries.
Patty

Pices
06-29-2018, 11:08 AM
I noticed my fish were all being still during the storm outside and thought it might be a good time to take a couple shots. 116418
A different meaning to thick headed when talking about discus. Sometimes both meanings are true.
Photo bomb!

Swedgin
06-29-2018, 11:30 AM
That’s one thick discus. You’re feeding them well

eugenefish
06-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Your discus look really good and colorful :o:thumbsup:

LizStreithorst
06-29-2018, 01:55 PM
great pics. The fish are in excellent condition.

Pices
06-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Thanks Eugene and Liz,
We like our discus fat, but Tank (that’s his name) can really put it away. He is always the first one to try a new food and if everyone else is being picky, well more for him. His formal name is Fuji Red.
Patty

Loosir
06-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Pices, I’m in love with your brilliants, I used to have Turks just like them. Yours are so so so gorgeous.

Loosir
06-30-2018, 06:28 PM
By the way when I do send you one of my silvers you do know you’re going to have to name her Daenerys

Pices
06-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Wouldn’t one of those silvers look great with my bunch? Daenerys it is! It would look better than having a picture of it taped to the back of my tank. Ha ha
Patty

Pices
06-30-2018, 09:18 PM
116449or this

Swedgin
07-01-2018, 10:44 AM
116449or this

If that isn’t art, I don’t know what is

Pices
07-01-2018, 09:28 PM
I wish life really did imitate art in this case. Ha

Loosir
07-01-2018, 09:59 PM
You are right, she does look good there!

Pices
07-02-2018, 08:14 AM
OMG! I wasn’t expecting that! Wow! Now my tank looks perfect. New saying, “Photo shop fixes really bad art.”
Patty

Loosir
07-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Haha! Glad you liked it!

Pices
07-02-2018, 05:50 PM
I showed my husband your silvers and showed him our posts. He is going to crack up laughing when he sees this.
Patty

Pices
07-09-2018, 09:44 PM
I promised my fish they’d get to do a cat walk for the contest.

Pices
07-09-2018, 09:48 PM
#1 is Blue Diamond with deep blue gene. #2 is Blue Sapphire, #3 is Red Eagle

Pices
07-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Koi rocking her gold spots
HB Cobalt

Pices
07-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Pices
07-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Super Checkerboard Pigeon, Carnation Turquoise. He’s too sexy for his scales...

sanjay21
07-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Really nice collection there :)

LizStreithorst
07-10-2018, 05:27 PM
I like your HB Coballt best. What happened to the dorsal on your Blue Sapphire?

Pices
07-10-2018, 08:39 PM
My Blue Sapphire and my Red Eagle both started laying eggs early so both are a little small and didn’t catch up to their tankmates. Her dorsal has always looked like that.
My Koi was just pecking and sliding her belly up the overflow and HB Cobalt was watching her. Then BD took that space back. There is a lot of action and jockeying for position right now! Red Fugi, BD, Blue Turk and Cobalt all fighting over Koi. She is acting like a floozie flirting with all of them.

Pices
07-10-2018, 09:08 PM
I took a video and will try and post it.
Https://youtu.be/NbEeZco59iw

Pices
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
That didn’t work...I have to get up before 5 am. I’ll try later when I haven’t worked 13 hours...

Pices
08-06-2018, 01:56 PM
https://youtu.be/WJtm6i-bWFY
Discus having their breakfast flakes this morning. Much more peaceful than my angel tank today.

danotaylor
08-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Very nice!! Loved seeing your dog video bomb the discus by climbing onto the couch in the background at the end, funny stuff. Tanks for sharing 😉

Pices
08-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Very nice!! Loved seeing your dog video bomb the discus by climbing onto the couch in the background at the end, funny stuff. Tanks for sharing ��
Thanks Daniel,
It’s a crappy video, I need to hang out in the photography thread. My dog is really jealous of the fish and wants me to look at her instead! I had a great video taken at night, but my dog kept nudging my arm. I stopped and told my husband to entertain her so I could take this video which ended up deleted because you could hear him cursing at her while she continued to vie for my attention!
Patty

Second Hand Pat
08-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Thanks Daniel,
It’s a crappy video, I need to hang out in the photography thread. My dog is really jealous of the fish and wants me to look at her instead! I had a great video taken at night, but my dog kept nudging my arm. I stopped and told my husband to entertain her so I could take this video which ended up deleted because you could hear him cursing at her while she continued to vie for my attention!
Patty

Patty, if your video is uploaded to youtube you can add a soundtrack to it thru youtube.
Pat

Pices
08-16-2018, 09:23 PM
It didn’t get downloaded anywhere, but good to know for the next time. Thanks Pat! That’s a great idea.
Patty

Pices
09-03-2018, 03:45 PM
I lost a discus a few months ago and had been thinking of replacing her. I ended up replacing her with 2 new fish from Kenny. Introducing, Penang Eruption and Spotted Leopard. I’m very happy with them. They became friends in their travels I suppose because they like to hang out together. They are 5.5-6” The PE is very popular with several tank mates facing off over the new kid on the block. Here are some pics.

danotaylor
09-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Wow mate, beautiful additions!! They look amazing :)

Second Hand Pat
09-04-2018, 07:16 AM
They are both beautiful Patty. You must be very happy with them. :D
Pat

Pices
09-04-2018, 08:31 PM
The Penang was a late birthday gift for my husband. Two years ago he said, “If we ever get another one I’d like one of these.” I remembered because I loved it too. Then it didn’t make sense to only ship 1 spotted fish....My other discus are as pleased as we are with them. Lol
Patty

Pices
09-10-2018, 12:09 PM
It was fun to have this contest to talk about our ups and downs raising and keeping discus. My goals are simple compared to other threads. I just want to keep my discus as happy as they keep me and to learn from others. I don’t know if I accomplished the first goal, but I did learn a lot from others here and for now my fish seem happy especially with my new additions.
My problem? I can’t have them all. After seeing Sanjay’s silver pigeons, I want one. After seeing Pat, Tobi and Larry’s wilds, I want wilds.
I saw a lot of things I may have missed like a flowerhorn that I became a fan of.
I shared in Liz’s excitement and disappointment at that pair she’s been wanting to breed.
I didn’t enter to win but just to be part of the community of us fishy folks who are as entertaining as these fish we love. I really enjoyed this contest and the stories, pics and surprises found in these threads.
Patty