PDA

View Full Version : So best place to get ready to go beefheart ?

nolefan
06-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Making beefheart mix is easy but omg the smell I just can’t handle it even after I clean up seems like I can still smell it for weeks after .. So best place to buy it already made that ships ?

0Dgreen
06-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Making beefheart mix is easy but omg the smell I just can’t handle it even after I clean up seems like I can still smell it for weeks after .. So best place to buy it already made that ships ?

Check with some of the sponsors, I know that both Hans (Discus Hans), and Josie and Miranda (Chicago Discus) shipped their mix in the past.

I just made a batch over the weekend and our kitchen still has a funky scent...:eek:

nolefan
06-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Check with some of the sponsors, I know that both Hans (Discus Hans), and Josie and Miranda (Chicago Discus) shipped their mix in the past.

I just made a batch over the weekend and our kitchen still has a funky scent...:eek:

I’m asian and have smelled a lot of bad smells in my lifetime but beefheart makes me want to vomit

CliffsDiscus
06-21-2018, 05:40 PM
I’m asian and have smelled a lot of bad smells in my lifetime but beefheart makes me want to vomit
I used to buy beefheart from an Asian meat market, found this out from a LFS
that supply them.

Cliff

goldfish
06-22-2018, 02:51 AM
You can make your discus beefmeat. I make my beefmeat by going to the asian supermarket and buy the beef that is for human consumption and ask the meat cutter to pass the lean beefmeat through the grinder three to four time then it should to store in the freezer. I add more vitamins powder to the meat and flat it out and freeze it. No smell and in fact if discus don’t eat I can cook and eat it myself.��

nolefan
06-22-2018, 08:38 AM
You can make your discus beefmeat. I make my beefmeat by going to the asian supermarket and buy the beef that is for human consumption and ask the meat cutter to pass the lean beefmeat through the grinder three to four time then it should to store in the freezer. I add more vitamins powder to the meat and flat it out and freeze it. No smell and in fact if discus don’t eat I can cook and eat it myself.��
I can make it ... it’s the smell I just can’t handle it

brewmaster15
06-22-2018, 08:48 AM
There are so many options availible for foods. If the smell bothers you maybe try others.

If you are set on a homemade type mix go for a seafood based one. They are easy enough to make.

al

brady
06-22-2018, 09:05 AM
I use to make beefheart mix but it was too much work but I never noticed a smell.
I now make a seafood[salmon and shrimp mixed with chicken breast, spinach, garlic and paprika.
!0 times easier and faster and the fish kill it.
Jay

Pices
06-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Could you share your recipe Jay?

brady
06-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Could you share your recipe Jay?

All ingredients are "about" and I make small batches because I only have 6 adults now but
it can be proportioned depending on the size of the batch.
All ingredients are processed individually because each one grinds up different and you don't
want to over grind because if you do the food will fall apart in the tank. Probably will take
some experimenting to get it right.
Anyway, 1/4 pound salmon cubed to about 1/2", 2 large shrimp,shelled and cut into 1/2" cubes
and about 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast. 1 to2 cups raw spinach, The salmon and chicken are
food processed to VERY small chunks. the shrimp to an almost paste consistency and the spinach to a very fine,
but not paste.

Add about a 1/2 tsp of garlic and paprika Mix all together well, put in a freezer bag, flatten to 1/4
put in the freezer and there you have it.
Jay

CliffsDiscus
06-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Ok, so you don't like the smell but you are willing to pay $2 a pound already package?

Cliff