PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Substitute for Expensive Filter Floss in My Canister Filters

DISCUS STU
07-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I originally posted this more than 2 years ago but didn't act and now some of the sources listed from the original post are out of business.

Ready to act now as expensive Blur Ribbon filter floss, even purchased in bulk, is something I'd like to have a better alternative for.

Second Hand Pat
07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Hi Stu, I use cotton batting used in Quilting. I try to avoid any which is fire retardant as I am not sure whether it could cause an issue with the fish. Try Joann's Fabrics or Walmart.
Pat

Willie
07-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Wal-Mart also carries the synthetic batting which I use, Willie

RogueDiscus
07-09-2018, 05:22 PM
I bought it at Michael's craft store. Poly-fill for quilting or cushions, like Pat said. Came in an 18x18x2 in sheet, or close. I ordered a large roll once years ago. I'm strictly sponges now.

JamesW
07-10-2018, 10:22 AM
45ppi Poret Foam that you never ever ever clean. Buy it once and forget about it.

DISCUS STU
07-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks all! :o

jim LI
07-11-2018, 07:55 AM
45ppi Poret Foam that you never ever ever clean. Buy it once and forget about it.

James,
What thickness do you use? I have 2 eheim 2217s that I use a puro-kleen filter pad along with a 50 micron pad for polishing. Will this foam be as effective?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046V22I2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks,
Jim

JamesW
07-11-2018, 10:49 AM
I use 3" each of 10, 20 and 30 ppi Poret foam in my sump and see next to no drop in the water level aka flow resistance across 9" of foam. I haven't taken one out for cleaning in more than 6 months. That is all the filtration I use and in my opinion is very effective.

If you talk to Stephan at Swiss tropicals he will lead you the right way. I had a very complex sump design in mind and he convinced me to go with something much simpler, easier to maintain and effective.

jim LI
07-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I use 3" each of 10, 20 and 30 ppi Poret foam in my sump and see next to no drop in the water level aka flow resistance across 9" of foam. I haven't taken one out for cleaning in more than 6 months. That is all the filtration I use and in my opinion is very effective.

If you talk to Stephan at Swiss tropicals he will lead you the right way. I had a very complex sump design in mind and he convinced me to go with something much simpler, easier to maintain and effective.

thanks for the feed back. I'll contact him.

jim

Willie
07-12-2018, 12:04 PM
I would not recommend any filtration system that you cannot clean for raising discus. I've plenty of experience with Poret sponges, but do not use them in discus tanks. Disposal floss is going to get you the highest quality water.

Willie

LizStreithorst
07-12-2018, 02:21 PM
I would not recommend any filtration system that you cannot clean for raising discus. I've plenty of experience with Poret sponges, but do not use them in discus tanks. Disposal floss is going to get you the highest quality water.

Willie

That's good to know, Willie. I use mostly small pore sponges now but always wished that I had enough money to switch over to Poret foam. Perhaps I'm better off sticking with what I have

DISCUS STU
08-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Thanks Willie.