PDA

View Full Version : Hangover ? or what ? ..... from the 2018 Nada show

discuspaul
07-19-2018, 10:37 PM
So.... tomorrow's Friday, 5 days since the end of this NADA show, and the Simply forum has been fairly quiet all week so far ....

I guess some of it is working on, & resuming getting back into our own normal daily routines;

... or staying low & quiet while getting over jet-lag;
... or being somewhat pissed off with having one's flight home cancelled;
....or still upset over your flight home being delayed several hours;
... or even feeling a bit of a pinch over how much money we spent attending the show;

But hey, c'mon, life goes on, so let's get a little more lively here.

I'm still savoring the experience of a new aspect of my long-time 'written' relationships with a lot of more or less unknown friends. Actually meeting them face to face & having a great variety of very interesting discussions with a bunch of very nice people !

I had a great time - & I'm feeling real good about finally being able to attend this show - and looking forward to the next one ....

How about you ? Any comments to share with us ?

I just had to post this silly bit of heartfelt emotion.

Second Hand Pat
07-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Paul, I know a lot of flights were affected with the weather at Newark the day we left. Tom's and mine flight was delayed by four hours. Rick's flight was cancelled. Paul Butler missed his connecting flight in Canada etc etc.

I returned home tired but very happy to have not only reconnected with folks (like yourself) I have meet before but to meet several folks whom I have known online but never meet in person. This was the most rewarding part of the show. :)

I also worked harder on this show then the previous ones both on show room setup and helping Ricardo with the photography. It is amazing all the time and work the photography takes. Ricardo and I do not know how Matt did it solo. I at least got to attend one talk.

However I did return in a funk and still sort of still am. After the show fish winners were posted on FB we received lots of negative comments from the international community. I mentioned this to Paul B. and he suggested to not be bothered by it as they were not there so that helped some.

I need to kick myself in the butt and get going and I will today. Time to go spend some time behind a camera. :D:D
Pat

Keith Perkins
07-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Yesterday was the first time I didn't doze off at my desk at least once all week, lol. Good thing I'm in a secluded spot.

Lots of 2018 show wrap up going on and believe it or not planning for 2020 as well. We've got at least 3 new locations that have expressed interest in hosting the next show, all of them fine locations.

I've got 3 more fish tanks to change water on than I did before the show so my evenings have been busier. I'll be posting pictures of the new acquisitions as soon as I receive them. Hint, hint. :)

discuspaul
07-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Planning for 2020 already, with at least 3 new locations expressing interest !

That's great - too bad one of them can't be Seattle (2 hour's drive for me) - but Larry told me that would not likely ever happen - west coast locations are not conducive - which is understandable.

But Seattle might be good for Asian breeders to attend the show.

What about Vegas ? Anybody there who could organize & deal with the local needs ?

Keith Perkins
07-20-2018, 12:38 PM
I don't think anyone from Vegas was at the NJ show.

rickztahone
07-20-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm fully recovered now. I had some issues at home with my dad's health and that drained me further but my flight went without a hitch (which i'm thankful for), and i have finally re-adjusted to the time difference.

The show was great and it was nice connecting with everyone. Pat, it is a shame that people would talk bad about beautiful discus but everyone is entitled to their opinions. All i know is that no matter how good our pictures are, they do not replace how beautiful these discus are seeing them in person.

So, for those that may have a negative opinion, i ask that they consider attending the next one, and if they still do not like the entries, well at least you are around people who are nuts over discus and can chat up and mingle. That is ultimately what happens at these things, you go for the fish but leave with friends :)

RogueDiscus
07-20-2018, 01:31 PM
I spent Sunday night with my wife and her brother's family in the Newark area. Got home after 11pm Monday. It was unfortunate that the O2 tank at the show had leaked out by the time I went to bag my fish to take home, and I lost several in the return trip due to lack of oxygen. My show winner did survive, however. NADA folks have been very apologetic and made me offers for the next show, which I appreciate. Like most folks, I assume, I came home to a garden to catch up on, and the carpet cleaner on Wednesday while my wife was still visiting a friend in NY, and general catch up around the house. I did also come home to three pairs with fry, including a new proven pair I had been hoping for. Only a few of their fry were left in their group tank, but I've since separated them and they spawned again yesterday. I'll post some pics as they progress.
Again, it was great to see everyone.
Steve

Disgirl
07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
I had a wonderful time, so did my husband. It was good for him to see NADA and what I am involved in with this hobby. Thank you to all those people who worked so very hard on this convention! And so much fun to meet new people and reconnect with old friends. I can't help but think that those who criticize, but weren't there themselves, may be a bit green with envy that they weren't there too and want to diminish our fun and enjoyment of it all.
Barb

Disgirl
07-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Steve, I am so sorry to hear what happened to some of your fish.
Barb

discuspaul
07-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Steve, I am so sorry to hear what happened to some of your fish.
Barb

Ditto

RogueDiscus
07-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Thanks Barb and Paul. It's part of my show story, but I'm moving on :)

Paul Sabucchi
07-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Thank you for all your hard work, for us who live way too far to make it to NADA your hard work and the photos you took with Ricardo bring us a lot of joy (nevermind the curmudgeons always ready to criticise, how can you think to know better than the judges who actually see the fish just by looking at a photo). I feel for those who had travel trouble and especially for Steve's fish

RogueDiscus
07-20-2018, 03:01 PM
I do find that I am still decompressing from the show. I'm working to catch up around the house and garden, and I find myself working through thoughts from the show. It didn't hurt that I checked in a replied to a few posts this morning. The show definitely was a focal point of some efforts for the last few months. Now that it's over, that "now what" process is kicking in.

brewmaster15
07-20-2018, 03:11 PM
I missed the show this year but its been a busy week for me as well. Have a bunch of personal obligations this week but have been trying to pop in, guide our new mods here and reply to posts as I can.

Being away for the show or any type of vacation or trip can definitely wear a person down though. but you know what they say about hang overs...the best cure is to have another drink.:)

So the next shows a bit away , but you all can alway post pics of your fish and tanks in the forum and help each other get over the hang over from NADA 2018. :evilgrin:

al

two utes
07-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Its been a week since i've arrived home, and not only still feeling jet lagged but also some holiday blues. Im so glad that i was able to include the NADA Discus Show with my family vacation to America. All up i caught 5 flights with the longest being from LAX back to Melbourne Australia. Its not fun sitting in a plane for 14 hours, but it did give me time to reflect on the good time i had, as well as drinking a few scotches ;)

I also had delayed flights, the worst was from Vegas to Newark where we had to disembark the plane due to engine problems and didnt resume the flight for a few hours later. The only plus with that was that i spent the time playing the slot machines at the airport and pocketed $100. In saying that, every dollar i spent on this trip was worth it , and keep in mind that i only received 75c American for each of my Australian hard earnt dollar

Nada not only gave me the opportunity to see some beautiful discus , but to meet many of the fine people that i have made friends with and interacted with on here. id like to thank everyone for being so friendly. It was terrific meeting you all and sharing not only our love for discus but of life in general.

I've been to America a fair few times now, but this was my first visit to New Jersey and New York. I loved the sites around the city, but especially Central Park. i spent a day fishing too and caught some new species as well.

I hope you guys know that you have a beautiful nature, and accent as well.

I hope that i can make it to the next one, but im pretty sure that i will be visiting America again next year. Maybe if im close to any of you we may catch up for a lunch or dinner.

discuspaul
07-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Joe, should you fly to the west coast of America when you come over again, and would consider visiting the Pacific north-west, e.g. Seattle & Vancouver areas, I'd relish connecting with you for lunch or dinner.

Think about it - it's a great area to visit - literally millions of folks from around the world do each year, and marvel at the breath-taking beauty of the Rockies at our doorstep.

Check in with Pat about her & hubby Tom's cruise to Alaska from the Pacific northwest a couple of years ago.

It's a marvelous sight to see, with the Pacific ocean right off B.C.'s and Alaska's coasts harboring some of the best seafood to be found anywhere on this planet.

Disgirl
07-22-2018, 07:47 PM
What a very nice post Joe. It was just great to meet you and get to spend some time chatting. So, do you think we have accents? I thought it was you with the wonderful accent. Where in the US is your next trip? I wish I could visit your country!
Barb

Disgirl
07-22-2018, 07:49 PM
OK Paul, now you may have others of us visiting your doorstep sometime!
Barb =)

two utes
07-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Joe, should you fly to the west coast of America when you come over again, and would consider visiting the Pacific north-west, e.g. Seattle & Vancouver areas, I'd relish connecting with you for lunch or dinner.

Think about it - it's a great area to visit - literally millions of folks from around the world do each year, and marvel at the breath-taking beauty of the Rockies at our doorstep.

Check in with Pat about her & hubby Tom's cruise to Alaska from the Pacific northwest a couple of years ago.

It's a marvelous sight to see, with the Pacific ocean right off B.C.'s and Alaska's coasts harboring some of the best seafood to be found anywhere on this planet.

My wife and i did Seattle about 3 years ago, and used it as a starting place for a cruise we did of the inside passage of Alaska Paul. Probably one of the best cruises that i've ever done. I loved Seattle and have friends there. Best of all i liked the coffee there...You know that we have the best coffee here in Australia right?
I missed my shots of short blacks while in America, and sad to say visited starbucks alot while in the States.
Seattle is very similar to Melbourne with coffee shops on each and every corner.
We are hoping to return to Seattle next year, maybe for a wedding, but also to do a trip to Banff and some other very scenic spots along the way. I'll be sure to let you know, as i would love the opportunity to catch up with you again.

What a very nice post Joe. It was just great to meet you and get to spend some time chatting. So, do you think we have accents? I thought it was you with the wonderful accent. Where in the US is your next trip? I wish I could visit your country!
Barb

Barb. It was wonderful to finally meet you. It was cute how you recognized me from a distance and called out my name. Thanks for my second cone which is very special to me since it is also personalized.
Haha..Yes! you all have accents, and you also drive on the wrong side of the road!!! So scary and the reason i dont drive while over there...i did once and ended up making a left turn and ended up face to face with oncoming traffic tooting me. I must say though, i was distracted by my passenger at the time, so it wasn't totally my fault ;)

As i was telling Paul, i may be travelling to Seattle for a friends wedding, and then through the centre of Canada to Toronto...still in the planning stages but i will let all know if im about.

I think you would like Australia, but watch out for all the venomous critters, or the larger ones that can eat you. Let me know if you ever decide to visit.

discuspaul
07-22-2018, 08:10 PM
OK Paul, now you may have others of us visiting your doorstep sometime!
Barb =)

Anytime Barb, don't hesitate to come this way - you'd love it.

April to October has just great weather generally - the rest of the year isn't that bad either - temp doesn't often drop below 5 F - and if it does snow once or twice a year for one day, it usually disappears overnite.

That invitation goes out to any of you other good folks - don't forget, if you come, at the very least lunch or dinner will be on me - perhaps even some room & board - LOL.

discuspaul
07-22-2018, 08:19 PM
My wife and i did Seattle about 3 years ago, and used it as a starting place for a cruise we did of the inside passage of Alaska Paul. Probably one of the best cruises that i've ever done. I loved Seattle and have friends there. Best of all i liked the coffee there...You know that we have the best coffee here in Australia right?
I missed my shots of short blacks while in America, and sad to say visited starbucks alot while in the States.
Seattle is very similar to Melbourne with coffee shops on each and every corner.
We are hoping to return to Seattle next year, maybe for a wedding, but also to do a trip to Banff and some other very scenic spots along the way. I'll be sure to let you know, as i would love the opportunity to catch up with you again.

Barb. It was wonderful to finally meet you. It was cute how you recognized me from a distance and called out my name. Thanks for my second cone which is very special to me since it is also personalized.
Haha..Yes! you all have accents, and you also drive on the wrong side of the road!!! So scary and the reason i dont drive while over there...i did once and ended up making a left turn and ended up face to face with oncoming traffic tooting me. I must say though, i was distracted by my passenger at the time, so it wasn't totally my fault ;)

As i was telling Paul, i may be travelling to Seattle for a friends wedding, and then through the centre of Canada to Toronto...still in the planning stages but i will let all know if im about.

I think you would like Australia, but watch out for all the venomous critters, or the larger ones that can eat you. Let me know if you ever decide to visit.

So sorry we weren't able to get together when you came this way 3 years ago, Joe.

But this next time you come, please do let me know. If it's convenient for you, there'd be nothing stopping me from making a point to meet with you & enjoying some time together !

two utes
07-22-2018, 08:21 PM
So sorry we weren't able to get together when you came this way 3 years ago, Joe.

But this next time you come, please do let me know. If it's convenient for you, there'd be nothing stopping me from making a point to meet with you & enjoying some time together !

Will do Paul. Looking forward to another meeting.

discuspaul
07-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Will do Paul. Looking forward to another meeting.

Love to hear that, Joe - can't wait !

Pardal
07-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Paul
I did missed my fly as well , and stay an extra day , end up flying from La Guardia next day.
It was a pleasure to meet you in person , hope see you again, Mary and I are avid travelers so I could be in Vancouver in the near future. We'll love to hang an talk fish among other things.
Julian.

discuspaul
07-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Paul
I did missed my fly as well , and stay an extra day , end up flying from La Guardia next day.
It was a pleasure to meet you in person , hope see you again, Mary and I are avid travelers so I could be in Vancouver in the near future. We'll love to hang an talk fish among other things.
Julian.

Julian, it was indeed a pleasure chatting with you several times - thanks for catching up to me & introducing yourself - it's sometimes tough getting together with people you should know - but you've never seen them before- too bad they don't put the user names on the I.D. name tags - I'd have known who you were right away.

If you do come to Vancouver, I might have trouble forgiving you if you came here & didn't get in touch with me beforehand to let me know when & where you'd be so we could get together if possible.

AquaWoman
07-23-2018, 01:39 AM
I spent Sunday night with my wife and her brother's family in the Newark area. Got home after 11pm Monday. It was unfortunate that the O2 tank at the show had leaked out by the time I went to bag my fish to take home, and I lost several in the return trip due to lack of oxygen. My show winner did survive, however. NADA folks have been very apologetic and made me offers for the next show, which I appreciate. Like most folks, I assume, I came home to a garden to catch up on, and the carpet cleaner on Wednesday while my wife was still visiting a friend in NY, and general catch up around the house. I did also come home to three pairs with fry, including a new proven pair I had been hoping for. Only a few of their fry were left in their group tank, but I've since separated them and they spawned again yesterday. I'll post some pics as they progress.
Again, it was great to see everyone.
Steve

Did they only have one O2 tank? I’m sorry you lost Fish. I wanted to go this year but wasn’t able to due to health issues. As a newb I’ve wondered how people handle the seemingly Herculean task of bringing their prized Discus. I would be devistated to lose my Fish under those circumstances. I think in the future I’d like to come as a spectator but I don’t think I’d risk my Discus. I only have 5 that I’ve raised from small fry. I suppose if I had a huge stock of fish it would be different.

I’ve enjoyed reading all of the posts here and on FB about the show and the fun everyone had. I got the sense that for most the Fish were almost secondary. Meeting new Discus lovers and seeing old friends too was the highlight for many it seems. The venue looked nice and the food looked good. The Discus were all Gorgeous in my book!
Of course I’m no European expert. ;)

On that topic, I was surprised to see such a lack of support for the hobby from a few people. Even more surprised to find that at least one of those people was a Judge! Doesn’t really give new people the warm fuzzies to read such negative comments and I can’t imagine how he thought being so rude was helping this industry. Again, I’m relatively new to the Discus world so maybe this is par for the course. I hope not though.
I will say that I was impressed how the NADA person handled it.

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the hard work that went into taking and posting all of the pics that were shared and really enjoy them and all of your posts too! It’s the next best thing to actually being there. I hope to make the next one for sure.

alcastro
07-23-2018, 02:20 AM
Our flight was delayed we got home late Sunday so I took Monday off, i shipped 3 fish back because they had new owners but the arrived 20 hours late and unfortunately lost one of them, the other 2 where near death but I had a great time, I felt welcomed with smiling faces got to meet lots of great people, thanks everyone

Keith Perkins
07-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Did they only have one O2 tank?

The short answer is yes, but the short isn't nearly adequate. A single tank of O2 the size of what we had at the show normally would have been enough to bag 1000s of fish. There were only a few dozen bagged at the show The tank sat tucked in a corner by the registration desk for several days and was completely full Sunday. I know this first hand as Larry Bugg and I were the first to use it that morning bagging my 6 fish. What the heck happened after that I could only theorize, but whatever it was was really a freak occurrence.

The NADA BODs is made up of people pretty much just like you. We love discus and hate to see the premature death of any of them. We bust our backsides to put together this discus keepers family reunion every two years in part to further educate people on how to keep their discus healthier. Aside from the owners of the deceased fish, no one feels worse about what happened to them than we do. This doesn't change what happened, but I hope it illustrates it was a completely unforeseeable event. We'll likely have a backup tank in the future, but we sure shouldn't ever have to use one.

discuspaul
07-23-2018, 10:54 AM
Our flight was delayed we got home late Sunday so I took Monday off, i shipped 3 fish back because they had new owners but the arrived 20 hours late and unfortunately lost one of them, the other 2 where near death but I had a great time, I felt welcomed with smiling faces got to meet lots of great people, thanks everyone

Very nice to meet you & your good lady, Al.

alcastro
07-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Very nice to meet you & your good lady, Al.

The pleasure was mine Paul, and the cheese was great

AquaWoman
07-25-2018, 11:32 AM
The short answer is yes, but the short isn't nearly adequate. A single tank of O2 the size of what we had at the show normally would have been enough to bag 1000s of fish. There were only a few dozen bagged at the show The tank sat tucked in a corner by the registration desk for several days and was completely full Sunday. I know this first hand as Larry Bugg and I were the first to use it that morning bagging my 6 fish. What the heck happened after that I could only theorize, but whatever it was was really a freak occurrence.

The NADA BODs is made up of people pretty much just like you. We love discus and hate to see the premature death of any of them. We bust our backsides to put together this discus keepers family reunion every two years in part to further educate people on how to keep their discus healthier. Aside from the owners of the deceased fish, no one feels worse about what happened to them than we do. This doesn't change what happened, but I hope it illustrates it was a completely unforeseeable event. We'll likely have a backup tank in the future, but we sure shouldn't ever have to use one.

Thank You for sharing that. What an awful accident. I have no doubt everyone involved felt horrible that this happened. As someone who’s yet to attend but would like to in the future, I’m glad that a back up tank will be used from now on.
I have one huge PB I’d like to show but I also only have 5 Discus that I’ve raised from fry so I’m very nervous about the logistics of getting it to the show AND keeping her healthy. It’s a rather scary prospect for a Noob. ;)
I’ve never shipped fish and never showed any. It’s losing her that makes me hesitant but it sure would be great to show her off after years of hard work. Anyhow, I’m just thinking out loud but Thanks for reassuring me and others that this was just a fluke.