PDA

View Full Version : The People Side of the NADA 2018 Show

Second Hand Pat
07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Please share your photos of the folks who were at the show. I will start with what has been known in the past as the Friday Night "Ladies Night" hosted by Barb. At this show there were so few ladies that it became a gathering of friends.

So here we have (left to right) Hans, Linda, Willie, not sure, Dottie, Bill (Barb's husband), Paul (discuspaul), Me, Tom (my hubby) and Steve!!

Second Hand Pat
07-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Here I meet Joe (two utes left) me, Ralph and Jenene (who provided the cookies right). All great folks and wish I spend more time with them. Ralph helped me several times with fish wrangling and other stuff!! (more to come) :D.

Swedgin
07-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Nice to put some faces to the names.

Second Hand Pat
07-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Paul Butler and Rick getting into trouble of some sort.

Barb spreading the word about the magic of her cones with discus. :D

Filip
07-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Great thread Pat . Please share more photos , if you have any more left .

DiscusBR
07-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Nice to see everyone. I wish I was there. Maybe next time.

discuspaul
07-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Nice to see everyone. I wish I was there. Maybe next time.

Would have been great meeting you Mauro, you'd have enjoyed it - as you said, maybe next time.

two utes
07-23-2018, 08:23 PM
The people side of NADA Discus Show was one of the reasons i came.
It was great to finally meet some of the people that I've been interacting with here over the years.

Here's Barb with her cones and caves stand. I had purchased a come from Barb awhile back, and she had another personalized one ready for me at the show.

Was also great to meet you Pat and see you in action. Its wasn't hard to pick you out having that camera hanging around your neck.
I really enjoyed chatting with Ralph. What a lovely guy!

I have my own picture with you Ralph and Jenene who was kind enough to drive me to Nada a few times including the Sunday night banquet

I also had a long chat with Hans. what an interesting guy and a wealth of information.

I really hope that i can make the next one where ever it may be, and ill try and take more pictures off all my new friends there.

rickztahone
07-24-2018, 12:14 AM
Great pics all!

Keith Perkins
07-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Yes Pat, Jenene is the one who provided these beauties.

Second Hand Pat
07-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Yes Pat, Jenene is the one who provided these beauties.

And beauties they are. I actually have one make it home unbroked. Jenene, if you see this how did you make them?
Pat

Second Hand Pat
07-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Rick T, Larry and Keith at the registration desk.

Ricardo caught me taking his picture.

Disgirl
07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Good pics all you photographers! They remind me just how much fun NADA was and what a good time we had (despite the crazy driving rules and regs there). I got honked at several times at those no left turn intersections and the gill lanes.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Good pics all you photographers! They remind me just how much fun NADA was and what a good time we had (despite the crazy driving rules and regs there). I got honked at several times at those no left turn intersections and the gill lanes.
Barb

Barb, what's a gill lane?
Pat

Disgirl
07-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Good question Pat. Have never seen anything like it and I have driven in lots of the US. When you come to a big intersection and want to turn left there, you can't. Signs say No Turns. You have to go straight through the intersection and somewhere later on, you come to a Gill Lane. You take it, make a big loop and come back to the intersection where you wanted to turn left, then you go straight through it, and can then get to where you are going OR make a left turn, which 10 min. before would have been a simple U turn. This all may not make sense, you need to experience it to see how it work.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
07-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Pano of the breakfast with the speaker question/answer session.

Hugo and John N.

Paul and Dr. Smith.

Jenene
07-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Hi Pat! Thank you! It was really fun meeting you and all the other members I have had the honor to see on the forum over the past two years. I have a few pics to put up. I am just settling back in after returning from back to back trips and playing catch up here at home.

As for the cookies. I start with a basic shortbread recipe. It’s a great one that’s really easy to work with. If anyone wants it let me know. I’d be glad to share it. I set the printing up on my computer in a simple print shop program. My computer savy son, Kyle, reworked the logo to fit the cookie shape better. I use a regular Canon inkjet printer that has never had ink run through it and I use food color cartridges in the place of ink. I blow through printers pretty quickly though. The printheads take a beating with the materials I run through it. It’s the same idea as the bakeries that do photo cakes. One edible image sheet does 20 images. They are made from starch and sugar and run through the printer with the plastic backing attached. I peel that off, cut them apart, use frosting on the back, slap them on and do a royal frosting border to hide the edges. I’ve got it down to 20 seconds a cookie. It was a last minute idea to offer them. I’m glad people enjoyed them! Hopefully they’ll be on the tables of NADA 2020!

Jenene
07-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Here are a few of mine.

116938Me and Pat. Darn with the sideways nonsense!!! Can you spin it Pat?

116933 Steve, me and Paul

116934me and Ralph

The best part of the show was meeting all of these kind and interesting people and more I didn’t get a chance to capture.

rickztahone
07-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Jenene, I am not going to lie, when i was thinking of placing your name I was drawing a blank at the show. I just saw your join date and i think that may have played a part. I've been scarce here the last 2 years so this was probably attributant to me not being savvy on the new members :(.

Anyone that knows me though, knows that i love meeting new people and can chat up a storm about pretty much anything lol.

two utes
07-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Hi Pat! Thank you! It was really fun meeting you and all the other members I have had the honor to see on the forum over the past two years. I have a few pics to put up. I am just settling back in after returning from back to back trips and playing catch up here at home.

As for the cookies. I start with a basic shortbread recipe. It’s a great one that’s really easy to work with. If anyone wants it let me know. I’d be glad to share it. I set the printing up on my computer in a simple print shop program. My computer savy son, Kyle, reworked the logo to fit the cookie shape better. I use a regular Canon inkjet printer that has never had ink run through it and I use food color cartridges in the place of ink. I blow through printers pretty quickly though. The printheads take a beating with the materials I run through it. It’s the same idea as the bakeries that do photo cakes. One edible image sheet does 20 images. They are made from starch and sugar and run through the printer with the plastic backing attached. I peel that off, cut them apart, use frosting on the back, slap them on and do a royal frosting border to hide the edges. I’ve got it down to 20 seconds a cookie. It was a last minute idea to offer them. I’m glad people enjoyed them! Hopefully they’ll be on the tables of NADA 2020!

Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while i was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.
I hope l get to meet you and all my other new friends at the next Nada show :)

rickztahone
07-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while is was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.

In Retrospect, i wish i would not have eaten the cookie, but the pressure of a hungry wife and daughter was too much, lol. It was very tasty.

Keith Perkins
07-24-2018, 07:26 PM
And beauties they are. I actually have one make it home unbroked. Jenene, if you see this how did you make them?
Pat

I got two home. :D

Jenene
07-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Jenene, I am not going to lie, when i was thinking of placing your name I was drawing a blank at the show. I just saw your join date and i think that may have played a part. I've been scarce here the last 2 years so this was probably attributant to me not being savvy on the new members :(.

Anyone that knows me though, knows that i love meeting new people and can chat up a storm about pretty much anything lol.

Ha ha Rick you crack me up. I wish I would have had more time to chat but you and the others were so busy running around doing their jobs! We hadn't had a lot of interaction here on the forum but the times we had you gave great advice. You popped in on my reef thread as well. Thank you!

Hopefully next show everyone will make it back and we can continue one. Until then see you around here!

Jenene
07-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Hi Jenene. It was great getting to finally meet you. I actually have one of your cookies here with me on my desk in Australia...Its a lovely little souvenir of the NADA Show. Thank you so much for your help while i was there, getting to the show a few times, and also the Saturday night dinner.

Hi Joe, It was great getting to meet you and the others. I'm glad you got those cookies past customs. What a rebel.

Glad I could help out and be your Uber. Hope I didn't insult you by not letting you drive. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. The word "right" used with both meanings intended. I was just trying to avoid this scenario..."No officer... he's not drunk...he's Australian." :p

Hope you make the long trek back to NADA 2020!

Jenene
07-25-2018, 11:20 AM
I got two home. :D

Glad you snagged some Keith. You earned them. Thank you and all the others who worked so hard to make it a great show. It is all very much appreciated.

rickztahone
07-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Ha ha Rick you crack me up. I wish I would have had more time to chat but you and the others were so busy running around doing their jobs! We hadn't had a lot of interaction here on the forum but the times we had you gave great advice. You popped in on my reef thread as well. Thank you!

Hopefully next show everyone will make it back and we can continue one. Until then see you around here!

You are starting to jog my memory! That does ring a bell!

Hi Joe, It was great getting to meet you and the others. I'm glad you got those cookies past customs. What a rebel.

Glad I could help out and be your Uber. Hope I didn't insult you by not letting you drive. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. The word "right" used with both meanings intended. I was just trying to avoid this scenario..."No officer... he's not drunk...he's Australian." :p

Hope you make the long trek back to NADA 2020!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: