PDA

View Full Version : To young to spawn???

gemini2583
08-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Hi I’m new to discus I got my first discus almost two weeks ago from Kenny and noticed that one of them was twitching yesterday today it’s still doing it and cleaning a spot on a piece of drift wood and that it’s egg laying tube is coming out of its Cloaca what I’m wondering is it’s only about 3 inches long and still growing is it normal for one that small to be trying to spawn?

gemini2583
08-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Ok so now I have eggs but their being eaten

snxtif
08-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Can you post the pics of that discus? :)

Filip
08-06-2018, 04:26 AM
The youngest discus spawning reports(or should I say records ) ive come across on this forum go to as young as 5 months old and about 4-4.5 inch of size. A non stunted 3 inch discus spawning, got to be a winner in this category . Are you certain about its actual age ?

Please do send us some photos too .

Matt Rose
08-15-2018, 06:07 AM
I’ve found that my females spawn as young as 10-12 months, whilst you are sometimes lucky enough to get a fertile male that young, more often than not it’s waiting for a male to reach maturity which is the struggle. If the female lays eggs the confused semi curious male will gobble them up until he actually knows what to do at about 12-14 months. Eventually they get the hang of it. Patience Patience Parience! But be prepared for many failed attempts. Maybe help them along with a ‘mesh cone guard’ for the first few days. Prevents some over zelous cleaning of the eggs.

Pardal
08-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Hi I’m new to discus I got my first discus almost two weeks ago from Kenny and noticed that one of them was twitching yesterday today it’s still doing it and cleaning a spot on a piece of drift wood and that it’s egg laying tube is coming out of its Cloaca what I’m wondering is it’s only about 3 inches long and still growing is it normal for one that small to be trying to spawn?
Gemini
We need some, pictures for sure. I have fish spawn before around , 4.25 to 4.5 , Precisily the ones in my Avatar, they were a Curipera Cross from Kenny's as well.