PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in tap water.

rickyd454
08-11-2018, 03:19 AM
I have recently discovered that I have about .25-.5 ppm of ammonia in my tap water. I am dead set on keeping discus, but my local water company uses chloramine instead of chlorine, which, after mitigated by water conditioner, leaves ammonia as a by-product, but the ammonia is present in the reading (API) before water conditioner is added. I am dead set on keeping discus and was wondering the best way to rid my water of Ammonia. Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul Sabucchi
08-11-2018, 04:43 AM
Just use seachem prime or similar product to condition your tapwater, it will neutralise the clorine and bind the ammonia until the bacteria in your (properly cycled tank) can transformed it into far less toxic nitrates.

Adam S
08-12-2018, 12:37 AM
Running your tap water through a carbon block or two should also help. There are some that are supposed to be better for chloramines, but I have no experience with those.

jeep
08-12-2018, 01:22 AM
Just use seachem prime or similar product to condition your tapwater, it will neutralise the clorine and bind the ammonia until the bacteria in your (properly cycled tank) can transformed it into far less toxic nitrates.

Correct! Carbon will remove chlorine but not break the chlorine/ammonia bond. Prime will!

rickyd454
08-14-2018, 04:08 AM
Thank you all!