PDA

View Full Version : Discus are fine. I am not. I think I caught the discus fever again

eugenefish
08-11-2018, 03:56 PM
After I moved all the 14 discus to the 120 gal tank. I was thinking what should I do with the empty 65 gal. I end up getting 16 >1 inches fry again. Pictures was taken yesterday and they are 6 weeks old.

The tank was a bit too big for them when I got them. I lower the water and block off part of the tank spaces. It is like 30 gal now. They feel way more comfortable now and begging for food all day long just like their older brothers and sisters :)

Same drill for WC. 2 time a day with 90% fresh water each WC. I am looking forward to see them growing up with great health :)

brewmaster15
08-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Yes you have discus fever. Worry not. There are worse things to spend your time and money on, but there are very few better things.:)

Congrats on your new Discus!
Al

danotaylor
08-12-2018, 12:22 AM
what strain are they mate? any pics of the parents?

Paul Sabucchi
08-12-2018, 03:14 AM
You are well on your way to Multiple Tank Syndrome, this disease gets gradually worse but seldom life threatening! Jokes aside congrats on your purchase and keep the updates coming

eugenefish
08-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Yes you have discus fever. Worry not. There are worse things to spend your time and money on, but there are very few better things.:)

Congrats on your new Discus!
Al

Thank you Al. Also thank you for this forum. I have learned a lot from here. My experience of keeping discus are totally positive and enjoyable :) :)

eugenefish
08-12-2018, 01:47 PM
what strain are they mate? any pics of the parents?

Hi Daniel, the new baby in my 65 gal are Leopard Snakeskin.

Here is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVlXSktXlo the parents:

eugenefish
08-12-2018, 01:51 PM
You are well on your way to Multiple Tank Syndrome, this disease gets gradually worse but seldom life threatening! Jokes aside congrats on your purchase and keep the updates coming

Thank you Paul for the head up ;) :) I can tell I am on my way to multiple tank syndrome ;) I can spend hours sitting in front of my tanks and just watch them hovering in the water, swimming in a group or chasing each others.....

Filip
08-13-2018, 03:17 AM
Wow , that is some very handsome pair :) .
Great potential in those juvvies Eugene , the real waste would have been not to grow them :) .

eugenefish
08-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Wow , that is some very handsome pair :) .
Great potential in those juvvies Eugene , the real waste would have been not to grow them :) .

I hope so too Filip. Keep the fingers cross.

I am giving them the best I can offer to them. 2 x 90% WC each day and feed them 9 to 10 times a day with fdbw, homemade BH mix..... The last batch of discus I have only take 3 months to reach beautiful 4" in shape.

Paul Sabucchi
08-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Now that is a sight for sore eyes!

eugenefish
08-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Now that is a sight for sore eyes!

My arms grow double the size too due to all the WC. Just kidding.

I learn from this forum that the best thing you can do to the discus at any age to make them healthy is one simple thing. WC, WC and more WC. I setup my tanks with electric water pump to pump the water in and out. The only problem is finding the space to store the aged water. Soon I will need to build a swimming pool for aging the water:grin:

Pices
08-15-2018, 04:11 PM
I hope so too Filip. Keep the fingers cross.

I am giving them the best I can offer to them. 2 x 90% WC each day and feed them 9 to 10 times a day with fdbw, homemade BH mix..... The last batch of discus I have only take 3 months to reach beautiful 4" in shape.

I love this picture. They should have a thread in the disease section for Discus fever, but the only cure is more tanks!
Patty

eugenefish
11-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Update of my 16 x 4 months old 3.5'' Leopard Snakeskin. I got them when they are only 4 weeks old. And now the baby discus are very happy and showing off their nice color.

brewmaster15
11-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Update of my 16 x 4 months old 3.5'' Leopard Snakeskin. I got them when they are only 4 weeks old. And now the baby discus are very happy and showing off their nice color.

Alright!!!!!!!Looking great there so far! You have done well with them Eugene. I think you will have some super looking adults!

Al

eugenefish
11-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Thanks Al. I am crossing my fingers and keep doing the daily 200% WC. Can't wait to grow them into adults.

danotaylor
11-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Nice work mate. They look amazing! What is your food choice and feeding schedule?

Paul Sabucchi
11-10-2018, 02:01 AM
They are coming along real nice, well done

eugenefish
11-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Nice work mate. They look amazing! What is your food choice and feeding schedule?

Thanks Daniel.

I am feeding them with 2 feedings of FDBW, 1 feeding of home made beefheart seafood mix and 4 feedings on hikari discus bio gold.

The discus bio gold were given out to the discus on an automatic feeder and the rest are hand feed.

eugenefish
11-13-2018, 03:19 PM
They are coming along real nice, well done

Thank you Paul.

eugenefish
11-13-2018, 03:25 PM

You are right about the Multiple Tank Syndrome and it is not at all life threatening Paul :) :) Actually this disease bring out lots of fun and meaning to life. Watching them growing bigger each day is full of excitement.

Paul Sabucchi
11-13-2018, 03:39 PM
There are definitely worse things than too many fishtanks! You are doing great

eugenefish
04-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Haha, I though I was recovering from the discus fever after growing out the second batch of baby discus. Now my second batch of baby discus are almost 10 months old and the colour on them are just unreal. I am not giving away any of them to make room ;) ;) So the only option will be setting up a bigger tank for them.

I just purchase a 210gal and will get it up and running by May. Lucky them and lucky me. My house for sure is turning into a fish house :) :)

Pices
04-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Gorgeous! I don’t blame you for wanting to keep every single one of them. I’m drooling over here.
Patty

danotaylor
04-21-2019, 09:33 PM
simply stunning! :D

Filip
04-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Wow , you have grown some very nice discus here Eugene . But this thread was a growout of baby discus from a single ,LSS pair right ? How did you end up with so many colour varieties?

eugenefish
04-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Gorgeous! I don’t blame you for wanting to keep every single one of them. I’m drooling over here.
Patty

Thank you Patty for your kind complement. I am so happy to learn all the discus keeping tips from you guy and girls :) :) It made my discus keeping journey so much enjoyable and the best part of it I can sleep well at night and not to worry they get sick.......

eugenefish
04-22-2019, 05:01 PM
simply stunning! :D

Thank you Daniel :):) You guys has taught me lots how to keep them healthy grow to their best.

eugenefish
04-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Wow , you have grown some very nice discus here Eugene . But this thread was a growout of baby discus from a single ,LSS pair right ? How did you end up with so many colour varieties?

Filip, you have good eyes ;) ;) My 65 gal for the second batch (16 x 10 months old discus) canister filter bite the dust at 10 pm at night and I have no other choice so I put them into my existing 110 gal with their bigger brothers and sisters.

Now my 110 gal is a little overcrowded. I am on my way to setup a new 210gal for them. In the meantime, I am going back to 2 x WC of 80% everyday. I can tell they are happy with this temporary home as they are showing off their nice colour to me ;) ;)

LizStreithorst
04-22-2019, 05:34 PM
The brown based red is a really beautiful fish. Where did you buy it?

eugenefish
04-23-2019, 01:16 PM
The brown based red is a really beautiful fish. Where did you buy it?

Hi Liz,

All my discus are from Canadian Aqua Farm. In total, I bought 38 baby discus in a quarter size (3 weeks old) from Rick. Every single one grow up and turn into beautiful and healthy adult.

danotaylor
04-23-2019, 02:57 PM
Do you live in Canadia Eugene? ;)
Or do they ship to the US?

eugenefish
04-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Hi Daniel,

I live in Vancouver, Canada. Luckily I have the changes to meet with Rick at his fish farm to pick up all those cute little one to start my discus journey.

Filip
04-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Hi Daniel,

I live in Vancouver, Canada. Luckily I have the changes to meet with Rick at his fish farm to pick up all those cute little one to start my discus journey.

He should use your photos and your growout story as a commercial for its fish Eugene . It would be his best advertising for his quallity discus :) .

Second Hand Pat
04-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Danny, Kenny of Kenny's Discus uses the same exporter as Rick which is Forrest.
Pat

danotaylor
04-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Ah-ha, ok cool, thanks Pat...that explains the quality of the fry...still a big kudos to Eugene for a stellar job maximizing their potential...

eugenefish
04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
He should use your photos and your growout story as a commercial for its fish Eugene . It would be his best advertising for his quallity discus :) .

Yes, he did with my permission to use those pictures. He has a short write up of my fish journey and put them on his website under the customer photos :) :)

eugenefish
04-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Ah-ha, ok cool, thanks Pat...that explains the quality of the fry...still a big kudos to Eugene for a stellar job maximizing their potential...

Daniel, thank you for your kindly compliment :) :)

Filip
04-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Yes, he did with my permission to use those pictures. He has a short write up of my fish journey and put them on his website under the customer photos :) :)

Well there can't be any greater recognition of succes than having your discus at sellers page Eugene :) . Well done .
Please send a link from the seller's page to see your discus photos and short story .

eugenefish
04-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Well there can't be any greater recognition of succes than having your discus at sellers page Eugene :) . Well done .
Please send a link from the seller's page to see your discus photos and short story .

Feel free to click on the link below to the seller page. When you scroll down the customer photos, you will see my discus photo ;) ;)

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/customer-photos-/

Be honest, I learned a lots from this forum. I still remember at my early day of discus keeping. I came across with this analogy (sorry I can't remember who wrote it and the exact wording). It answers lots of my questions about keeping discus. Do I need all the high tech equipment and chemical for keeping healthy discus?? What are the trade secrets of growing out 7'' beautiful discus?

The simple answer is no. All they need are good food and lots of freshwater everyday.

Here is the analogy : Raising discus, in contrast, is like raising pigs. Give them lots of food and at the end of the day, hose them down with water ;) ;)