PDA

View Full Version : False sand bed

scaryfish
08-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Has anyone tried making a false sand bed like this?
Any foreseeable problems?

http://aquanerd.com/2011/01/faux-sandbeds-going-bare-bottom-with-a-more-natural-look.html

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 02:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum, tell us also a bit more about yourself and your fish (in the welcome thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?401-New-Member-Welcome-Centre ).
Never tried the sand-epoxy mix, could be an option once the fish are done growing. Maybe at some point I'll do a small scale trial. Would not stick it directly to the bottom of a large tank in case it needs removing if the results are not satisfactory.

Mattgoanna
08-26-2018, 03:42 AM
I have done this several times using fibreglass. It works but fibreglass resin doesn’t like sticking to glass much, so can lift over time.

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 08:37 AM
The clear food safe epoxy I get over here (Duraloid al-30) will stick to most stuff. Next time I go to the DIY store I might get some cement board (so it will stay on the bottom without need to fix it), maybe give it a bit of 3D work over then cover it with one or two coats of epoxy then some sand and then maybe further epoxy

DiscusBR
08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
I never used this product but several years ago there was a post here where some people reported the problem of bottom glasses cracking. But I don't remember the details. Try to search the forum.

Mattgoanna
08-26-2018, 10:08 AM
The problem with removable is that is will gather crap underneath. I tried using perfectly flat slate tiles and found it was a real problem for detritus. You would need to silicone around the edges and that may not look that great.

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 10:21 AM
That can happen, main reason why I am not in any hurry to change my BB. Other option could be to break it up in various sections, maybe even using glass pains as backing to the sand/epoxy, this way it would be possible to periodically lift a section and clean if required

RogueDiscus
08-26-2018, 12:36 PM
I've actually been preparing to do this kind of thing as an experiment with a product I bought. I was going to complete it, document and maybe hope to wow some folks if it worked. I'll let you know.

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Cool, keep us posted! Makes me want to do some tinkering myself, got some epoxy and bits of glass left over, may collect some sand from the beach tomorrow. Would be nice to get a realistic sandbed effect but still retain the practicality of a BB tank.

scaryfish
08-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, tell us also a bit more about yourself and your fish (in the welcome thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?401-New-Member-Welcome-Centre ).
Never tried the sand-epoxy mix, could be an option once the fish are done growing. Maybe at some point I'll do a small scale trial. Would not stick it directly to the bottom of a large tank in case it needs removing if the results are not satisfactory.

oops, guess i was a little too excited. just a lurker with no fish haha.

Would love to see the results for this!

I've actually been preparing to do this kind of thing as an experiment with a product I bought. I was going to complete it, document and maybe hope to wow some folks if it worked. I'll let you know.

It could be revolutionary if you make it work haha.

The problem with removable is that is will gather crap underneath. I tried using perfectly flat slate tiles and found it was a real problem for detritus. You would need to silicone around the edges and that may not look that great.

Thats something i didnt think about. How much and how fast did it build up underneath?

Paul Sabucchi
08-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Hi again, no harm done in lurking actually to the contrary no one with an interest in discus should contemplate getting any without first a healthy dose of lurking on this forum! We tend to be a friendly lot and cherish any new addition to this forum, we all have something to contribute (just look at how your post has sparked interest) so if you feel like it you are welcome to tell us a bit more about yourself and if you see round fish in your future. This way from a lurker you will become a new friend.

JamesW
08-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Anyone ever tried to mess with polymeric sand? It is used for patio pavers. I could see putting a thin bed and then just wetting it and let it do its magic and then you'd have a semi-sealed bottom of sand. I've no idea on how it'd last submerged but it could be an interesting option.

Paul Sabucchi
09-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Ok, small scale experiment on the way.
Used the back of 10x10 cm tiles as support as they have some 3d relief. Used white sand on one, golden beach sand on another and a mix of the twoon the third. On each tile one side is left with just the sand stuck on the tile so really natural texture, middle has a thin coating on top while other margin has a good dollop of epoxy on top. Will give it 2-3 days to fully cure then will stick them in a tank to see how they look.

Paul Sabucchi
09-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Ok, here are the preliminary results. The portions where the sand us stuck on top of the epoxy look more natural (doh!) So from a looks point of view seem best, don't know how much dirt they would collect. May leave a sample for a few weeks in with the goldfish and see.

Mattgoanna
09-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Good one. If you could find a way to do ripples in the sand with the dry look then it could be amazing. Interested to see how they go with algae. What epoxy did you use?

Paul Sabucchi
09-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Hi, I used a tried and tested 2 component epoxy made over here called Duraloid AL-30 made by a company called Prochima. It is purpose made to come into contact with food and drinkable liquids, even fermenting grapes or vinegar (used to coat the inside of vats). It is also dishwasher safe up to 60C (used to coat decorated wood boards used as plates for eating on or serving). Ideally I would use some kind of heavy (sinking) flat backed support on the top surface ofwhich I could put some 3D relief, so I was thinking cement board with some cement/sand relief on the top, 2 good coats of Duraloid all over and a good dusting of sand over it while the top coat is still sticky. Thinking of maybe making it in 3 sections so I can easily remove them every now and then to clean any detritus that may have seeped between them and the bottom panel of glass.

Mattgoanna
09-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Thanks. I used flat slate roof tiles one time and was surprised how much crap gathers underneath. I will have a play over the next few weeks.

Paul Sabucchi
09-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Same thing I was worrying about, maybe I will use some panes of float glass as support, so the gap between false sand and bottom pane would be minimal

Filip
09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Great thread OP and kudos for your efforts of experimenting and sharing Paul .
Couple of years ago I got very attracted to this idea and have read a ton of experiences about it , but I just never got courage to try it in practice

The original idea was to make a mushy compound mixing the sand with epoxy straight in to tank .That way the compound sticks to all the sides and bottom glass and it can't trap any debris underneath. You can supposedly scape the sand manually to achieve a 3D effect on the sand bottom before it dries out .
This idea sounds almost perfect for a discus display tank and only drawback that I see would be cleaning the algae off the solid sand structure.

Paul I would encourage you to try this experiment with a small 5 gallon tank . Pour all in , make the sand /epoxy compound straight in that tank and see what happens when it dries out .This would be the best solution for a debris free bottom If there aren't any other hiden problems along the process .
I've read experiences where tank glass cracks once the comound starts to dry and heal and I would like to know if this is true .

Paul Sabucchi
09-12-2018, 12:17 AM
From what I have seen the mushy mix of sand and epoxy can get quite messy to work with particularly once scaled up to big aquarium size. All things considered I think I prefer the look of the sand just stuck on top of the epoxy, this way even if the sand does trap dirt, it is only one grain thick so the actual amount of dirt would be negligible. It is also probably easier to give the support the required 3D shape first and then waterproofing and stick the sand on it and I probably would not want to have it permanently stuck to my tank. I will probably just make a bigger sample and leave it in the goldfish tank a few weeks. I am in no great rush as I was not planning to add any decor to my discus tank for another year or so. By the way the wooden "tree" has long been covered with 3 coats of the same epoxy