PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt x Silver pigeon pair

sanjay21
08-30-2018, 09:15 AM
I have some fry attacking on and off, not a big batch but I’m very curious to see the results.117702

danotaylor
08-30-2018, 12:00 PM
nice looking pair Sanjay. Out of curiosity, how many pairs do you have currently? What strains are they? Cheers

Tshethar
08-30-2018, 01:05 PM
Nice looking fish! From what I understand most of the pigeons these days are generally getting "cleaner" as far as peppering is concerned, but is that something you would worry about or expect to see with this cross? Hope they turn out nicely for you.

sanjay21
08-30-2018, 05:15 PM
nice looking pair Sanjay. Out of curiosity, how many pairs do you have currently? What strains are they? Cheers
Thanks Dan ! I have a bunch of pairs I keep shuffling them. I only started getting success in breeding Discus just starting few months back :)

Nice looking fish! From what I understand most of the pigeons these days are generally getting "cleaner" as far as peppering is concerned, but is that something you would worry about or expect to see with this cross? Hope they turn out nicely for you.
Thanks Bill !
This pair was not my idea, but Al(simply admin) shared a post recently on a pigeon crossed with a cobalt to get white butterfly discus. I tried to search for it but couldn’t find it. I’m hoping this pair would give me result similar to that thread :)

Pices
08-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Oooh la la! I want to see what these babies look like! You’ve turned into quite the breeder. I hope you get the best out of these parents. I’m very curious, so I hope you keep us posted.

danotaylor
08-31-2018, 12:45 AM
Nice one Sanjay...you got the right touch, the right water and the right system down for success it seems, good on ya mate...also looking froward to seeing the offspring of this pair. How are the fry from the rafflesia cross pair looking these days?

Tshethar
08-31-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks Dan ! I have a bunch of pairs I keep shuffling them. I only started getting success in breeding Discus just starting few months back :)

Thanks Bill !
This pair was not my idea, but Al(simply admin) shared a post recently on a pigeon crossed with a cobalt to get white butterfly discus. I tried to search for it but couldn’t find it. I’m hoping this pair would give me result similar to that thread :)

Hi Sanjay,
Very cool... I remember seeing that thread and I was able to find it here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133041
Glad you're experimenting. Keep up your breeding projects and you can become a site sponsor here as all of us will want your fish! :)

sanjay21
09-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Oooh la la! I want to see what these babies look like! You’ve turned into quite the breeder. I hope you get the best out of these parents. I’m very curious, so I hope you keep us posted.

Me too :) not a big batch but maybe 20+ hopefully see some good variations.

Nice one Sanjay...you got the right touch, the right water and the right system down for success it seems, good on ya mate...also looking froward to seeing the offspring of this pair. How are the fry from the rafflesia cross pair looking these days?

Hi Dano, yeah currently fish room is really busy :D I got a big hatch on a Albino pair, I hatched them separately so it will be a challenge to raise them. So the red + yellow pair are doing great. I see majority being Red based maybe because I started feeding tetra bits and noticed the change already.

Hi Sanjay,
Very cool... I remember seeing that thread and I was able to find it here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133041
Glad you're experimenting. Keep up your breeding projects and you can become a site sponsor here as all of us will want your fish! :)

Bill ! you are awesome man :)

I hopefully get some blue butterflies like the thread Al shared in that post^. I'm not comfortable with shipping :/ wish I have someone in Utah that can do that for me. I started selling the babies locally for 10$ each.

danotaylor
09-02-2018, 12:00 AM
why not move to Cincinnati mate and I will take care of the shipping for you ;)

sanjay21
09-03-2018, 08:59 AM
why not move to Cincinnati mate and I will take care of the shipping for you ;)

Maybe I should ��

sanjay21
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Update: fry on the Cobalt.

LizStreithorst
09-03-2018, 09:33 AM
That's a good looking fish. Good luck with the kids.

sanjay21
09-03-2018, 01:21 PM
That's a good looking fish. Good luck with the kids.

Thank you Liz :)

charaf
09-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Hi Sanjay! good work getting these to lay for you
I have a similar pair at the moment with one month old babies
I have come to the conclusion that the white butterflies are the result of a selection cross from white pigeon and blue diamond
The cleaner the blue diamond and the cleaner the pb the cleaner your babies will be
From experience blue diamond x white pb will give 80% pb with pepper and 20% clean pb
in the 20% clean pb you will get some nice clean white butterflies but most of your offspring will get the pb gene from the parents with pepper
If you select the best offspring and breed back with your silver pigeon you will have higher amount of white butterflies

sanjay21
09-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Hi Sanjay! good work getting these to lay for you
I have a similar pair at the moment with one month old babies
I have come to the conclusion that the white butterflies are the result of a selection cross from white pigeon and blue diamond
The cleaner the blue diamond and the cleaner the pb the cleaner your babies will be
From experience blue diamond x white pb will give 80% pb with pepper and 20% clean pb
in the 20% clean pb you will get some nice clean white butterflies but most of your offspring will get the pb gene from the parents with pepper
If you select the best offspring and breed back with your silver pigeon you will have higher amount of white butterflies

Thanks Charaf !!
That's good to know. Do you have pictures of your pairs and the babies ? would love to see them.
I'll keep this thread posted on their progress.

sanjay21
11-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Update here guys -

I messed up the grow outs. They were being raised in the same tank along with Red Turqs fry somehow what seems like a cross contamination happened and lost a few of red turqs so started treating the tank with PP and all the harsh treatments so might have affected their growth but I'm sure they will pick up. Here are some of the variations -

danotaylor
11-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Sorry to hear that mate, but what you pictured here looks to have great potential!! Well done Sanjay!