PDA

View Full Version : Water parameters for breeding wilds

DiscusBR
09-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of you might have seen the thread about my group of 6 wild Cuipeuas:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?130516-Back-again!-Wild-Cuipeua-discus-tank

They have been in the tank for 9 months and are doing well. But no signs of pairing yet. I was asked about my water parameters, so I went to test the water again. I used a Hanna meter for the TDS measurement and API tests for KH and Ph measurements. My API GH test kit seems not to be working, since the water never turns from orange to green. Here are all other results:

TAP WATER
TDS = 252 ppm
KH = 7 drops, 125.3 ppm
Ph = 7.6

RO WATER
TDS = 7 ppm
KH = 1 drop, 17.9 ppm
Ph = 6.0

TANK WATER (80% RO x 20% tap mix)
TDS = 71 ppm
KH = 2 drops, 35.8 ppm
Ph = 7.2

I think my tank water looks fine for breeding, but wanted to know about other opinions. I don't want to increase the proportion of RO water in my mix because I want to keep the tank's current Ph (7.2) stable. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have posted this in the wilds section.

Second Hand Pat
09-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Hi Mauro, here are my water parameters for wilds http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104759-Pat-s-Water-Parameters-for-Wilds.

I would also suggest getting another API KH/GH test kit. They are cheap and would be nice to know what your GH is. So other considerations for breeding wilds. My wilds always started spawning in February. I think this is the start of the wet season in their native waters. Also it seemed my wilds didn't mature (or spawn) until the end of their second year (guessing on age).
Pat

DiscusBR
09-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Hi Mauro, here are my water parameters for wilds http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104759-Pat-s-Water-Parameters-for-Wilds.

I would also suggest getting another API KH/GH test kit. They are cheap and would be nice to know what your GH is. So other considerations for breeding wilds. My wilds always started spawning in February. I think this is the start of the wet season in their native waters. Also it seemed my wilds didn't mature (or spawn) until the end of their second year (guessing on age).
Pat

Thanks for the link, Pat. It looks like my water parameters are good. I will get a new test kit, though.

As you know, I had two groups of wilds before this one:

GROUP 1
April 2011: Got the fish
April 2012: First signs of pairing
October 2012: First spawn

GROUP 2
February 2015: Got the fish
February 2015 (3 weeks after arrival): First signs of pairing
April 2015: First spawn

As you can see, it took the first group 1.5 year to the first spawn. The second, only two months. So much variation...

As usual, the secret is patience. I just have to wait and keep up the WCs and hope for the best, right? :)

Second Hand Pat
09-09-2018, 09:46 AM
As usual, the secret is patience. I just have to wait and keep up the WCs and hope for the best, right? :)

Yes, this is the most important :D
Pat

Filip
09-12-2018, 04:49 AM
And what about the possibility they all be males :) ?
Have you folks ever experienced a group like that ?

DiscusBR
09-12-2018, 09:05 AM
And what about the possibility they all be males :) ?
Have you folks ever experienced a group like that ?

Unlikely, but possible. This is my third group. I got some spawning going on in the other two, so I expect the same with this one.