PDA

View Full Version : Lasagna - My Favorite Comfort Food: Recipe Enclosed

discuspaul
09-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Couple of days ago on Steve's thread regarding who can resist bacon, Liz Streithorst asked me to post my newly minted version of lasagna.

I made and baked it yesterday, and had it for dinner last night.
I was even more pleased with the flavor of it than I was the first time I made this version.

So here it is for you Liz, and for any others who might care to have a read through it - nothing revolutionary in it except some minor tweaking, by way of the addition of a couple of ingredients which may seem different (translation: odd) to some of you:

PAUL'S LASAGNA:

I've tried numerous lasagna recipes over many years, but recently I've done some moderate tweaking as I go along to finally came up with this version, which I find quite tasty and more pleasing than many others.

This lasagna is basically for 2 persons with enough leftovers for a second meal, and freezes well of course. It's made in an ovenproof corning ware dish of approx. 11 " X 7 " X 4" or so high, deep enough to provide for 4 or 5 layers of lasagna pasta noodles.

Please forgive what may seem like the extra, unnecessary length of this recipe - I've purposely elaborated more than needed to help out those who may have little or no experience making lasagna.

And yes, it does take quite a bit of prepping time & work, with a variety of ingredients, so you might consider it to be 'fussy', but I feel the time and effort involved is worth it, to produce this very flavorful, quality lasagna.

- Main Ingredient:

- You'll need a box of dried lasagna noodles - 15 of these should do to make 5 layers in a dish of this size - you'll know the kind I mean- they're approx. 10 inches long X about 2" wide & are ribbed along the length of each noodle on both sides. This type of dish could be rectangular or with slightly rounded corners. No matter, once parboiled the noodles can easily be cut to shape to fit flat within the corners - 3 noodles to a layer.

The box of noodles may say they're 'oven ready', but they're not really, as they're hard dried, so can't be cut to shape as is without breaking apart. So you need to pre- parboil them for approx. 4 minutes to soften them up some, make them easy to cut & shape to your dish size, once cooled, and will permit the pasta to cook properly when baking without developing any hardened, curly edges which may burn.

Alternatively, if available, you can use fresh lasagna sheets bought in a vacuum pack of 6 or 8 sheets I believe, which are of a size which will fit well in the above-sized dish with some minor scissor trimming.

Prepping:

- After partial 4 minute boiling & cooling of the softened pasta noodles, here's my listing of what's needed to prepare for putting together a 4 or 5 tier of lasagna noodles. These specific ingredients are the ones I like and use for this recipe.

Reminder: Once boiled & cooled, and before use, ensure the noodles are free of any moisture - wipe them with paper towelling to ensure they're fully dry. Moist/wet noodles may tend to soften up the lasagna once cooked, so that the lasagna may lose firmness when cutting. Doesn't affect the taste, but the lasagna may not keep it's shape as it should.

- The all-important tomato meat sauce layer - ingredients:

- Approx. 3/4 to 1 lb. of regular lean ground beef;

- 1 large fresh pork sausage, skin casing removed;

- 1 fresh mild italian sausage, skin casing removed;
(Alternate possibility: 1 medium or spicy italian sausage if you prefer a bit more heat, or a fresh chorizo sausage, skin casing removed)

- 2 rashers of bacon, separately fried to your liking & broken up into fingernail sized pieces. I prefer mine crispy. Alternatively you could also use 2 - 1/4" slices of lightly fried pancetta - diced after frying;

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely diced onions;

- 1/2 cup finely diced celery;

- 3-6 finely diced cloves of garlic;

- 1 680 ml. can of tomato sauce ( approx. 20 oz.);

- 1 Tbspn. of tomato paste;

- 1 level tspn. of sugar;

- 1/2 tspn. red pepper flakes;

- 1/2 tspn. oregano;

- 1/2 tspn. thyme;

- 1 tspn basil;

- 1/2 cup red wine;

- Veggie option - 2 or 3 sliced & diced mushrooms of your choice, if you like mushrooms;

- 1 large bay leaf;

- Salt & Pepper to taste - careful with the salt - you'll be adding a lot of salty cheeses in the layering.

In a large saucepan on medium heat, add a bit of olive oil & lightly saute the diced onions, celery and garlic until soft - 2-3 minutes. Then add all of the meat ingredients - the ground beef, the pork and italian sausage meat, and the bacon slivers, and cook over medium to hottish heat until all the meat is fully cooked - about 7-10 minutes - mashing the mixture with a potato masher to evenly mix & break up all the ground meats and bacon.

Add the tomato sauce, the tomato paste, and the red wine, and mix well.
Add all the herbs & spices & sugar, & mix well;
The resulting sauce should be fairly thick, not runny & loose. Simmer the sauce for 20 - 30 minutes over low heat, then allow to cool.
If it seems somewhat runny, simmer it longer to thicken it up. A thick sauce, like drying the pasta noodles, helps to ensure the lasagna is not overly moisture-laden, so that it holds it's shape well when cut up to serve.
It's then ready for the layering.

The cheeses & bechamel sauce layering components:

You will need:

a) -For the bechamel sauce:

-For approx. 1/2 cup of finished bechamel sauce - on medium heat melt a large pat of butter - approx. 1 oz. in a smallish saucepan, add 1 tbspn. of flour, whisk & add 1/4 tspn. of nutmeg, then whisk up with sufficient milk, added a bit at a time, to make & maintain a thin, fairly runny sauce, after adding & whisking in 1/2 cup or so of finely grated parmesan or pecorino cheese;.

Within each layer of the cheese portions, drizzle a bit of this runny bechamel sauce, in well- separated very thin strips, over the 2 - 3 grated cheese mixture, see below.

Ration enough of this sauce so as have a sufficient amount remaining to drizzle over the final topping, as later described below.

b) - for the mozzarella cheese portion of the cheese layering;

To me, this part of the cheese layering, though small in quantity, adds more flavor and creaminess to the lasagna.

I prefer to use fresh soft mozzarella or boconcini, cut into approx. 20 thinly sliced pieces about the size of the front section of your thumb to the first knuckle- 1" X 1/2", is my best way to describe it.
Alternatively, you may use the brick type of harder mozzarella, sliced/cut up into roughly the same size pieces - it will melt just about as well as the soft version.

I use 4-5 of these pieces interspersed among (on top of) the 2-3 cheese mixture layers, and also place the remaining pieces, interspersed, at the very top of the last layer of the lasagna.

c) - The other cheeses portion:

- Here's where you can get somewhat creative, using 2, 3, or 4 of your favorite cheeses - pretty much any melting cheeses will do - examples are:
- cheddars, white or colored, or marbled; provolone; monterey jack; gruyere; swiss, emmenthal; havarti; parmesan or romano pecorino - whatever. I've even used a jack cheese with jalapeno for a little extra kick.

I usually prefer marbled cheddar, pecorino, havarti, and gruyere, mixed well together after regular grating (not finely grated).

You'll need 1 & 1/2 cups approx. of the 2 or 3 different grated cheeses mixed together, perhaps more.

Finally, the layering directions:

- Start with a good thickness layer of the meat sauce to fully cover the entire bottom of the baking dish; ( no dish greasing needed).

- Add 3 of the soft pre- parboiled lasagna noodles to cover the meat sauce, trimmed to properly fit within the shape of the dish (makes 3 rows of these noodles, or use 1 of the store-bought, appropriately-sized fresh lasagna sheets.)

- This next layer of course calls for the cheeses - add a fairly generous portion of the 2 or 3 grated cheeses, topped with 4-5 pieces of the thinly sliced mozzarella cheese, evenly interspersed though the layer, and then lightly drizzled in very thin strips with some of the bechamel sauce over that, as mentioned earlier.

- Repeat this duo of layers once more to use up the remaining lasagna noodles, which would constitute 5 tiers of pasta noodles (i.e. using all 15 of the pasta noodles). The last layer is to be a meat layer, so the final topping above the 5th tier of pasta should be just a thin layer of the meat sauce, with a good amount of the 2-3 grated cheeses over that, then finally topped with the remaining pieces of the mozzarella, spaced out fairly evenly, then drizzled over some remaining bechamel sauce. (Drizzle the sauce between the mozzarella pieces , not over them).

Then sprinkle some finely grated parmesan or pecorino over top as a final finishing touch.

Your baking dish may not be quite deep enough to comfortably accommodate 5 tiers of pasta, so you have the option instead, of finishing with just 4 tiers of the pasta (12 noodles,) with the last layer being a cheese layer, in which case your topping above the last tier of pasta should be heavier on the meat sauce, with a lesser amount of the grated cheeses, topped similarly as above with the interspersed pieces of mozzarella, the remaining bechamel sauce drizzled between the mozzarella pieces, followed by the sprinkling of finely grated parmesan or pecorino.

The finished lasagna may be refrigerated and baked the next day. Bake @ 350 for 40-45 minutes until all the cheeses are nicely melted, bubbly, and beginning to brown up a bit.

Cover the lasagna with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking, then uncover for the final 25 or so minutes.

Enjoy.

LizStreithorst
09-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Paul, you are a dear heart. Thanks so much.

I'm all set for making Indian butter shrimp tomorrow. Next weekend it will be your lasagna. It will be great fun. I enjoy prep work so the time involved is not a problem. I'm going to print and copy this now.

discuspaul
09-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Good to hear that, Liz - Have fun & enjoy it.

If any of you are interested in recipes for main & other dishes rather than the chocolate torte dessert one I posted on Al's thread about loving chocolate, I'll list below a few dishes that I make often, and if you'd like to see any one of them or more, just say so, and I'll be happy to post it/them.

And I promise they'll be far less lengthy & wordy than the lasagna recipe above! - LOL

I know there was a recipe thread going a few months back, which seemed quite popular for a while and which I posted in, so forgive me if you've seen any of these before:

- Pork cutlets with Spanish sauce

- Chili sauce for chili burgers

- Spicy Roasted chicken thighs

- Skillet roasted lemon chicken

- Chicken enchiladas with authentic Mexican red sauce

- Osso Boco (braised veal shanks)

- Braised beef short ribs

- Cannelloni

I have quite a few others too, if anybody wants to see more dish types.

discuspaul
09-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Paul, you are a dear heart. Thanks so much.

I'm all set for making Indian butter shrimp tomorrow. Next weekend it will be your lasagna. It will be great fun. I enjoy prep work so the time involved is not a problem. I'm going to print and copy this now.

hey Liz, I'd like to know your indian butter shrimp recipe.

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 06:11 AM
I'm not the creative chef that you are, Paul. My recipes mostly come from the internet:

5.0 from 2 reviews
Indian Butter Shrimp

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
20 mins
Total time
30 mins

Author: Some the Wiser
Serves: 4 to 6
Ingredients
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
½ cup butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons tandoori paste, see note
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1¼ cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon honey
⅓ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
Cooked rice and lemon wedges to serve
Instructions
In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of garam masala and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the tandoori paste and tomato paste, stirring to incorporate, and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and honey, then reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes at a simmer until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Remove pan from heat and stir in the yogurt, remaining garam masala, and half of the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve over cooked rice and garnish with remaining cilantro, lemon wedges, and slivered almonds.
Notes
You can use a good quality store bought Tandoori Paste, but I normally use this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/tandoori-paste-485579

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Sounds real good Liz - I like the combo of ingredients, all of which I've used before at one time or another in various recipes.
I love shrimp/prawn dishes & I'm definitely going to try this one.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 11:52 AM
P.S. I really like the recipe for making tandoori paste - quick & easy & I bet it tastes great -
Substitute chicken pieces for shrimp, and you'd have a good homemade butter chicken, I'm sure

Second Hand Pat
09-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Paul and Liz, both those recipes sound delicious. :D I wonder if I should go wrangle up Toni's recipe thread?
Pat

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 01:02 PM
It would be nice to have all these recipes in one place.

Swedgin
09-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Good to hear that, Liz - Have fun & enjoy it.

If any of you are interested in recipes for main & other dishes rather than the chocolate torte dessert one I posted on Al's thread about loving chocolate, I'll list below a few dishes that I make often, and if you'd like to see any one of them or more, just say so, and I'll be happy to post it/them.

And I promise they'll be far less lengthy & wordy than the lasagna recipe above! - LOL

I know there was a recipe thread going a few months back, which seemed quite popular for a while and which I posted in, so forgive me if you've seen any of these before:

- Pork cutlets with Spanish sauce

- Chili sauce for chili burgers

- Spicy Roasted chicken thighs

- Skillet roasted lemon chicken

- Chicken enchiladas with authentic Mexican red sauce

- Osso Boco (braised veal shanks)

- Braised beef short ribs

- Cannelloni

I have quite a few others too, if anybody wants to see more dish types.

The spanish sauce and the braised beef short ribs, please. Love me some ribs.
Thanks Paul

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 02:00 PM
I'd be interested in the pork cutlets and the enchiladas:)

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Paul and Liz, both those recipes sound delicious. :D I wonder if I should go wrangle up Toni's recipe thread?
Pat

I wish you would, Pat - I was thinking of that when I posted this thread & mentioned it in my # 3 post above as you likely noted.

Could this whole thread be easily incorporated into that recipe thread ?

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 03:24 PM
The spanish sauce and the braised beef short ribs, please. Love me some ribs.
Thanks Paul

You got it Tobi - I'll definitely post it within a day or two.
I think you'll like the Spanish sauce (my own home-made recipe and easy to make), with either pork or veal cutlets breaded in Panko bread crumbs - a snap to make.

And the short ribs are a great cool fall weather meal which I feel you'd love.

I'd be interested in the pork cutlets and the enchiladas:)

Same goes for you Liz - the cutlets are simple - take only 3-4 minutes of frying time.

The red sauce for enchiladas is the very best, most authentic red sauce I've ever run across, and imo it's better than any red sauce I've tasted in Mexico - and I've had enchiladas in various regions of Mexico many times.

Once the sauce is made, and it's quite easy to do - just takes a little time - putting the chicken enchiladas together for baking takes but a couple of minutes.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Re: my lasagna recipe - oops, sorry, I forgot 1 small but relatively important matter to help ensure there's not too much moisture in the lasagna so that it keeps it's shape:

Although this is not a critical matter - because no taste is lost - if it's somewhat overly moist though, the lasagna may slide apart somewhat after cutting when it's just out of the oven - while removing individual servings to plates.
After cooling somewhat though, or next day, it should be just fine.

Once you've fully sautéed all the meats with the onions, garlic and celery, and before adding the wet ingredients (tomato sauce & red wine), place the saucepan contents in a sieve to allow all the fat/liquid content to drain off, then return the meats to the saucepan & proceed with the recipe.

I think some of you likely do this automatically.

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Paul, you must try the butter shrimp. It is the bomb. I added more cayenne because I crave the heat. I had it over rice with a side of spinach sauteed with garlic to balance out the richness of the shrimp dish but a nice salad with oil and vinegar would work with it, too.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Liz & Tobi,

Here's the recipe for Spanish sauce to drizzle over, or spoon on and spread, panko breaded pork or veal cutlets:

Lightly sauté together in a small/med.-sized saucepan for 2-3 minutes:

- 1 tbspn. of minced shallots,
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbspn. minced or grated fresh ginger

add:
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbspn. worster sauce
- 1 tbspn. lemon juice
- I tbspn. soy sauce
- 1 tspn. hot mustard preferably, but regular mustard will do
- I tbspn. cognac, brandy, sherry or bourbon - whatever you have handy
- 8-10 generous drops of hot sauce of your choice (I use Habanero hot sauce)
- 1 tspn. brown sugar

Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes minutes, then strain though a fine sieve to remove the shallot, garlic, and ginger pieces.

Set aside the finely strained sauce until ready to use over the cutlets after frying them in veg. oil for 1-3 minutes each side until golden brown - just re-heat the sauce in the micro-wave for 30 or so seconds, or on stovetop for a couple minutes.

To prepare the cutlets, you should use thin pork rib slices (not loin slices) or veal slices (scallopini cut) - thinned out with a meat tenderizing mallot to no more than 1/4" in thickness - season both sides with s. & p.; flour the cutlets; dredge them through a beaten egg and cream or milk mixture; and fully coat with Panko bread crumbs.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Liz,
Here's the enchilada recipe:

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH AUTHENTIC RED SAUCE:

Here's how to make the authentic red enchilada sauce:

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

This visual recipe for the red sauce fully explains how to put together this easy to make sauce:

Note the following 2 important changes to the recipe:

a) - Instead of the number and type of dried chiles used in the recipe, use these:

- 16 dried guajillo chiles, and
- 6-8 dried ancho chiles

( This will poduce enough excellent medium-heat sauce for 3 or 4 meals of enchiladas for 2-4 persons, and will freeze well in suitably proportioned containers).

b) - You may omit the indicated 'frying' of the sauce when completed. I have not found it adds any flavor to the sauce.

(Special note for those who prefer a good deal more chile heat in their sauce, as I do: - When adding all the ingredients to the blender for pureeing, add 1 whole chopped up chipotle pepper in adobo sauce !)

Directions for completing the chicken enchiladas are as follows:

- Use 5"-6" flour tortillas (not corn tortillas which tend to break apart easily when being rolled up)- the tortillas should be lightly warmed up before use to facilitate rolling up with the filling inside.)

- A store bought roasted chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces will be great for the filling - use either white or dark meat, or a combination of both.

- Add 2 tablespoons of the red sauce to the chicken in a bowl, along with 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice/ liking ( I suggest monterey jack with jalapeno), and a good-sized handful of pre-caramelized onions. Grate enough cheese to use in the filling, and also to add atop the enchiladas just before baking. Mix these ingredients well.

- Roll this mixture fairly tightly into each tortilla (which should then be approx. 1" thick) and place in a suitably sized, butter-greased oven-proof dish so that the enchiladas are evenly spaced about 1/2" from each other.

- Place the dish with rolled- up enchiladas about 6" below the upper burner element and broil for about 3-4 minutes, just enough to start them browning. This will firm up the tortillas, make them less soggy following baking, and produce nice crunchy end sections not covered with red sauce.

Cool and refrigerate the dish of enchiladas as is until ready to bake ( for approx. 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven).

- Immediately prior to placing the dish in the oven, spoon the red sauce evenly over each tortilla, (enough to coat them well for near 3/4 of their length, leaving 1" or so at each end uncovered with the sauce), while overflowing the sauce into the bottom of the dish for about 1/2 ". Then generously sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over top of the sauced area of each tortilla for baking.

- Serve up and add a sprinkling of green onion bits and pieces on top of some sour cream over each tortilla.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 06:52 PM
I'm on a bit of a roll - I'll get to the braised beef short ribs soon, Tobi.

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Liz,
Here's the enchilada recipe:

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH AUTHENTIC RED SAUCE:

Here's how to make the authentic red enchilada sauce:

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

This visual recipe for the red sauce fully explains how to put together this easy to make sauce:

Note the following 2 important changes to the recipe:

a) - Instead of the number and type of dried chiles used in the recipe, use these:

- 16 dried guajillo chiles, and
- 6-8 dried ancho chiles

( This will poduce enough excellent medium-heat sauce for 3 or 4 meals of enchiladas for 2-4 persons, and will freeze well in suitably proportioned containers).

b) - You may omit the indicated 'frying' of the sauce when completed. I have not found it adds any flavor to the sauce.

(Special note for those who prefer a good deal more chile heat in their sauce, as I do: - When adding all the ingredients to the blender for pureeing, add 1 whole chopped up chipotle pepper in adobo sauce !)

Directions for completing the chicken enchiladas are as follows:

- Use 5"-6" flour tortillas (not corn tortillas which tend to break apart easily when being rolled up)- the tortillas should be lightly warmed up before use to facilitate rolling up with the filling inside.)

- A store bought roasted chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces will be great for the filling - use either white or dark meat, or a combination of both.

- Add 2 tablespoons of the red sauce to the chicken in a bowl, along with 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of grated cheese of your choice/ liking ( I suggest monterey jack with jalapeno), and a good-sized handful of pre-caramelized onions. Grate enough cheese to use in the filling, and also to add atop the enchiladas just before baking. Mix these ingredients well.

- Roll this mixture fairly tightly into each tortilla (which should then be approx. 1" thick) and place in a suitably sized, butter-greased oven-proof dish so that the enchiladas are evenly spaced about 1/2" from each other.

- Place the dish with rolled- up enchiladas about 6" below the upper burner element and broil for about 3-4 minutes, just enough to start them browning. This will firm up the tortillas, make them less soggy following baking, and produce nice crunchy end sections not covered with red sauce.

Cool and refrigerate the dish of enchiladas as is until ready to bake ( for approx. 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven).

- Immediately prior to placing the dish in the oven, spoon the red sauce evenly over each tortilla, (enough to coat them well for near 3/4 of their length, leaving 1" or so at each end uncovered with the sauce), while overflowing the sauce into the bottom of the dish for about 1/2 ". Then generously sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over top of the sauced area of each tortilla for baking.

- Serve up and add a sprinkling of green onion bits and pieces on top of some sour cream over each tortilla.

This sounds perfect. I love cooking with dried chiles. I have everything on hand except the chipotles in adobo.. Which will be first, the lasagna or the enchiladas? I have a feeling that it will be the enchiladas. I lived in Mexico for 4 years and the taste buds in my mind give this two thumbs up.

Thanks, Paul.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Here's the braised beef short rib recipe for you, Tobi:

OVEN-BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS: (low and slow)

This recipe will serve 2 persons nicely - so double the ingredients or more to serve a larger group.

Use 4-5 pieces of thick meaty beef bone-in short rib cuts, not the thin 'hawaian cut' short ribs. (Approx. 1.5 lbs. or so).

To start with, the ribs should be seasoned with s. & p. and browned well on all sides on a BBQ grill, or on stovetop at med./high heat, or oven-roasted @ 450 degrees to brown.

Place the browned ribs in a suitably-sized oven-proof corning ware dish to accommodate the ribs and add the following ingredients:

Add:

- 1 cup of beef broth, either home-made, or canned or packaged - whatever you would normally use for any recipe calling for same - I use meatmarket in-house made frozen natural beef broth, or for ease & simplicity, some jarred beef bouillon coupled with a sachet of packaged Knorr OXO beef broth whisked in a cup of hot water.

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine, sherry wine, or dry marsala wine.

- 1 & 1/2 tbspns of tomato paste.

- 1 slice of side bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces.

- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves, cut in half.

- 1/4 of a large onion, cut into quarters from top to bottom so that the bottom core portion will hold the quarter pices together whole - (save the other 3 quarters for later - see directions below).

- 8 -10 whole peppercorns.

- 1 bay leaf

- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, if available, or 1/2 tspn. of dried thyme.

- 1/2 tspn. salt

Bake the dish as is, covered, for 1 hour @ 325 degrees

Remove from oven (leaving the heat on) and add the following ingredients, to then braise for a further 1 hour or so, covered, at the same temp, and a final 1/2 hour, uncovered at 350.

Note: At this point, immediately upon removing from oven, swirl in enough corn starch mixed in cold water, to the braise to produce a gravy type thickness to the sauce, and to which you will then add:

- 2 or 3 small white, nugget, or new potatoes.

- 3 or 4 raw mushrooms (your choice of type) sliced in half.

- 7-8 of 1.5"- 2" long pieces of peeled raw carrot.

- Same number of similar sized celery slices.

- Ditto for slices of raw red, yellow, or green bell pepper slices.

- The other 3 quarters of the onion.

- 2-3 more whole cloves of peeled garlic.

- 1/4 tspn of red pepper flakes.

Braise covered @ 325 for another hour as previously mentioned, raise oven heat to 350, and braise for another 30 minutes, uncovered, turning the short ribs once or twice during this time to better carmelize them.

Add water, if need be.

By this time your kitchen should smell like a dream come true !

Serve up with a salad, or whatever else you wish ! I suggest thick slices of a french bread baguette for soaking up gravy.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
This sounds perfect. I love cooking with dried chiles. I have everything on hand except the chipotles in adobo.. Which will be first, the lasagna or the enchiladas? I have a feeling that it will be the enchiladas. I lived in Mexico for 4 years and the taste buds in my mind give this two thumbs up.

Thanks, Paul.

You know what, Liz - I've visited many parts of Mexico - east, west, mid, south - you name it - about 2 dozen times over the past 30 years - at times for 2 months straight at a time - was probably the equivalent of living there for at least 2 years, and I feel exactly the same way as you do - the taste buds in my mind came up to a high level when I first made and tasted enchiladas made with this recipe !

I hope you'll find it perfect with the chipotle in adobo - I certainly do!

LizStreithorst
09-10-2018, 09:08 PM
I love chipotle's in adobo but they are hard for a person who cooks for one to keep on hand. Even tried freezing and end up having to toss them.

discuspaul
09-10-2018, 09:51 PM
I love chipotle's in adobo but they are hard for a person who cooks for one to keep on hand. Even tried freezing and end up having to toss them.

Yeah, freezing them doesn't seem to work very well.

But I've kept a whole can of chipotles in adobo sauce in the fridge in a well sealed/covered container for over a month, and used some at least a half dozen times since, and they're still ok - no problem.

I honestly don't know how much longer they'll keep for continued use.

Swedgin
09-10-2018, 11:40 PM
Here's the braised beef short rib recipe for you, Tobi:

OVEN-BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS: (low and slow)

This recipe will serve 2 persons nicely - so double the ingredients or more to serve a larger group.

Use 4-5 pieces of thick meaty beef bone-in short rib cuts, not the thin 'hawaian cut' short ribs. (Approx. 1.5 lbs. or so).

To start with, the ribs should be seasoned with s. & p. and browned well on all sides on a BBQ grill, or on stovetop at med./high heat, or oven-roasted @ 450 degrees to brown.

Place the browned ribs in a suitably-sized oven-proof corning ware dish to accommodate the ribs and add the following ingredients:

Add:

- 1 cup of beef broth, either home-made, or canned or packaged - whatever you would normally use for any recipe calling for same - I use meatmarket in-house made frozen natural beef broth, or for ease & simplicity, some jarred beef bouillon coupled with a sachet of packaged Knorr OXO beef broth whisked in a cup of hot water.

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine, sherry wine, or dry marsala wine.

- 1 & 1/2 tbspns of tomato paste.

- 1 slice of side bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces.

- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves, cut in half.

- 1/4 of a large onion, cut into quarters from top to bottom so that the bottom core portion will hold the quarter pices together whole - (save the other 3 quarters for later - see directions below).

- 8 -10 whole peppercorns.

- 1 bay leaf

- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, if available, or 1/2 tspn. of dried thyme.

- 1/2 tspn. salt

Bake the dish as is, covered, for 1 hour @ 325 degrees

Remove from oven (leaving the heat on) and add the following ingredients, to then braise for a further 1 hour or so, covered, at the same temp, and a final 1/2 hour, uncovered at 350.

Note: At this point, immediately upon removing from oven, swirl in enough corn starch mixed in cold water, to the braise to produce a gravy type thickness to the sauce, and to which you will then add:

- 2 or 3 small white, nugget, or new potatoes.

- 3 or 4 raw mushrooms (your choice of type) sliced in half.

- 7-8 of 1.5"- 2" long pieces of peeled raw carrot.

- Same number of similar sized celery slices.

- Ditto for slices of raw red, yellow, or green bell pepper slices.

- The other 3 quarters of the onion.

- 2-3 more whole cloves of peeled garlic.

- 1/4 tspn of red pepper flakes.

Braise covered @ 325 for another hour as previously mentioned, raise oven heat to 350, and braise for another 30 minutes, uncovered, turning the short ribs once or twice during this time to better carmelize them.

Add water, if need be.

By this time your kitchen should smell like a dream come true !

Serve up with a salad, or whatever else you wish ! I suggest thick slices of a french bread baguette for soaking up gravy.

Hah, Salad! Comedian.

Looks awesome. Will give this a try soon.

Thanks Paul.

brewmaster15
09-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Paul,
Back to the Lasagna, a personal favorite of mine as well.:) You should if you do not already have one, pick up this..

http://a.co/d/19SkEIA

The pre-made lasagna strips are ok, but in my family we make the dough by hand and the strips as well. My mom taught me as she did in Italy where she grew up. Its cost effective, easy, and just tastes awesome plus you can make different size Noodles with it. Highly recommend one of these. It you love Lasagna this is for you!

al

discuspaul
09-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Paul,
Back to the Lasagna, a personal favorite of mine as well.:) You should if you do not already have one, pick up this..

http://a.co/d/19SkEIA

The pre-made lasagna strips are ok, but in my family we make the dough by hand and the strips as well. My mom taught me as she did in Italy where she grew up. Its cost effective, easy, and just tastes awesome plus you can make different size Noodles with it. Highly recommend one of these. It you love Lasagna this is for you!

al

Thanks Al.

I do have one of those, which Linda & I often use to make fettuccine, or other similar noodles, and in particular for making pasta strips for putting home-made tortellini together - one of my favorite Italian dishes - I change up the fillings each time and have yet to be disappointed with either the various fillings, or with using white or red sauces, or simply with grated parmesan or pecorino cheese.

When I make Lasagna I take my time putting it together/prepping the ingredients, so I'm usually too lazy to also make my own fresh pasta. And for this recipe, I wanted to make it easier for readers by suggesting the store-bought pasta.

But I certainly agree with you - fresh home-made pasta is best !
Thanks for bringing this up - I'm sure some cooks would prefer to make their own fresh pasta and do so, or will do so.

RogueDiscus
09-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Stopped by the creamery to pick up some more blue and fresh mozzarella today. The big wheels are all different blue varieties they make. The other case has a wide variety of specialty cheeses they import.

brewmaster15
09-11-2018, 04:09 PM
I would be in heaven there Steve!

brewmaster15
09-11-2018, 04:14 PM
So question for Lasagna lovers...obviously you love it hot from the oven but how many of you love it the same if not more cold right from the refigerator as left overs...MmmmmMmmmm ..

RogueDiscus
09-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Absolutely! Not everyone would agree, but lasagna and pizza are a couple foods that I judge not only by how good they are fresh, but also as cold leftovers the next day (something to do with being able to raid the fridge of leftover pizza the morning after my folks went out the night before).

brewmaster15
09-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Absolutely! Not everyone would agree, but lasagna and pizza are a couple foods that I judge not only by how good they are fresh, but also as cold leftovers the next day (something to do with being able to raid the fridge of leftover pizza the morning after my folks went out the night before).

Amen!:) Im with you on both Lasagna and pizza!

discuspaul
09-11-2018, 07:51 PM
I would be in heaven there Steve!

Ditto.

brady
09-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Al
Did you ever go to Fromage in Old Saybrook on Rt. 1? She has about 100 or more types
of cheese from all over the world. Heaven.
Jay

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Al
Did you ever go to Fromage in Old Saybrook on Rt. 1? She has about 100 or more types
of cheese from all over the world. Heaven.
Jay

Jay I did not but I know what I am going to do when I get the chance!

al

Adam S
09-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Cold lasagna, yes. Cold pizza, a big no (and I'd eat the stuff everyday if I could).

For breakfast, I like an over-easy egg on top of reheated lasagna. Reminds me a little of Mexican baked eggs.

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 07:44 PM
For breakfast, I like an over-easy egg on top of reheated lasagna. Reminds me a little of Mexican baked eggs.

Lmao! I think of myself as a pretty open minded guy when it comes to food...( which reminds to start a thread I was thinking of! ) but an over easy egg on top of lasagna ?I wouldnt have even thought to try it!:) Is that something you came up with your self?

Al

Adam S
09-14-2018, 09:37 PM
No one else in my family likes it.

It was a "laziness is the mother of invention" moment. I wanted baked eggs, but 30 minutes might as well be a whole day some mornings.

discuspaul
10-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Here's my before and after baking pics of my enchiladas - sorry about the differing sizes

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Yum Paul, looks like you are back to posting pics. :D
Pat

RogueDiscus
10-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Yay, pics! :)

discuspaul
10-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Yum Paul, looks like you are back to posting pics. :D
Pat

Yes, Pat, after you mentioned using "Paint", and with the added help of Google to find out how to locate "Paint" using Windows 7, I then re-sized the huge photos (which were of different original sizes and I wasn't sure what percentage to use to downsize them - hence the different sizes of the before and after baking enchilada pics), and the forum icon uploaded them successfully.

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2018, 12:23 PM
That is great news Paul :) You will get a feel for this after a while!
Pat

discuspaul
10-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Yay, pics! :)

Thanks for your help too, Steve - I will no longer have a problem posting pics knowing I can re-size them with "Paint", and knowing how to do that.

discuspaul
10-01-2018, 12:26 PM
That is great news Paul :) You will get a feel for this after a while!
Pat

Thanks again Pat - did you also see the posted pic of the bouillabaisse ?

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2018, 12:35 PM
I did Paul, it looks yummy. :)
Pat