PDA

View Full Version : There has to be some campers/hikers here?

brewmaster15
09-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Do you like camping? What kind? tent? rv? ultra light? Ive been into camping my whole life. Mostly car based but some hiking short trips.Tents and recently into RV with our old" new to us popup"(2005 mfg) I have a bit of an obsession with camping gear and I collect it, repair and re-use it.. Stoves, lanterns, pack gear etc. I can't pass up coleman gear. I probably could journey to the center of the earth and back with all my collected camp treasures.

Anyone else?

Al

Adam S
09-12-2018, 12:22 AM
There are some really nice spots in northern AZ. It's usually pretty crowded, but 10-15 minutes of exploring is enough to find some quiet and enjoy some wild raspberries. The fishing is great, too.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to whip out the Jiffypop and the Elwood Blues-style toaster.

brewmaster15
09-12-2018, 05:36 AM
JiffyPop Jiffy pop is one of our favorites here. It cracks me up when I buy some for a trip that the cashier doesnt know what it is? They look at me puzzled when I tell them.its the best pop corn for a camping trip.One asked me if it takes long to microwave it! lol
al

jeep
09-12-2018, 10:15 AM
I love hiking and camping. When I used to have a more adventurous group of friends, we would go camping and canoeing in the Ozarks nearly every other weekend during the summertime.

Over the years, I have been hiking an camping all over the country, some family style and some technical. Every state has their own special places, but I must say Utah, Wyoming and Montana are amazing!

Discus-n00b
09-13-2018, 12:03 AM
I LOVE camping, but haven't been in ages. Dying to get back to it. I need to re-gear, this will be a good thread as I am not caught up on the latest and greatest. I am pretty much down for anything from no car backpacking to staying next to the car. My ultimate dream would be to create an "adventuremobile" out of a van/truck/land rover defender type of vehicle. But for now a small tent and supplies will have to suffice.

What's everyone's favorite season or time of year to go? Depends on the place?

brewmaster15
09-13-2018, 07:33 AM
I really like camping in the fall in the North East USA. The days are warm, the nights are cool and comfortable for tents and campers with out Ac. The fall foliage is a plus. The downside is the yellow jackets. Those critters get crazy this time of year... they are aggressive too as they forage.

Spring is also nice... again days are warm enough and nights cool. The bugs that drive me nuts then are black flies.. they get in your eyes, ears, anything and really dont care about bug spray... still I enjoy that time of year.

Camping In Florida winters best. Bugs are less and its not oppressively hot. I love the Florida Park system and theres few places Id rather be than the Everglades (National Park) in late January/Early Ferbruary!

Whats your camping stoves of choice?

al

Second Hand Pat
09-13-2018, 10:15 AM
As a kid we would go camping as a family in the summer time. We would travel up thru Ga and the Carolina's as Florida summer time was hot. My parents had a popup like yours Al. After Tom and I were married and we moved to Colorado we tent camped out of the truck. We would drive up to the mountains with my sister and bother-in-law and find a creek to camp on with a beaver dam so Tim and I could fish for brookies (brook trout). Nothing like fresh brook trout cooked in a iron skillet and eaten beside a camp fire...those were the days. :D
Pat

allwet
09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
I had a great 8 days this early august on the west side of Vancouver Island ,with my wife. sea kayaking . great weather , low traffic ( 4 campsites.
shared a beach once ) and great wildlife , bears ,humpback whales ,minks and marten, deers ,lots of sea otters and wolves tracks .
I have paddled quite a bit in the last 35 years, on the north side of the golf oF St-Laurence , Vancouver island , the mid coast of British Columbia
And Haida Gwai , the Queen Charlotte islands.

brewmaster15
09-13-2018, 01:45 PM
As a kid we would go camping as a family in the summer time. We would travel up thru Ga and the Carolina's as Florida summer time was hot. My parents had a popup like yours Al. After Tom and I were married and we moved to Colorado we tent camped out of the truck. We would drive up to the mountains with my sister and bother-in-law and find a creek to camp on with a beaver dam so Tim and I could fish for brookies (brook trout). Nothing like fresh brook trout cooked in a iron skillet and eaten beside a camp fire...those were the days. :D
Pat

AGREE WITH YOU PAT! Native brookies over a camp fire are delicious!

al

brewmaster15
09-13-2018, 01:46 PM
I had a great 8 days this early august on the west side of Vancouver Island ,with my wife. sea kayaking . great weather , low traffic ( 4 campsites.
shared a beach once ) and great wildlife , bears ,humpback whales ,minks and marten, deers ,lots of sea otters and wolves tracks .
I have paddled quite a bit in the last 35 years, on the north side of the golf oF St-Laurence , Vancouver island , the mid coast of British Columbia
And Haida Gwai , the Queen Charlotte islands.

I'd love to see any pictures from the trip! It sounds like my kind of place to visit!
al

RogueDiscus
09-13-2018, 01:55 PM
My wife and I are in our 60's, and we still tent camp, although usually in campgrounds with water facilities these days. Due to the wildfire smoke, we only got out once this year, for our annual perseid meteor shower campout with friends that we've been doing for over 30 years. We go to one of the area's mountain lakes. We're still thinking of squeezing one more campout in the beginning of October. I used to backpack and hike a lot when I was younger, hiked through the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, wilderness around Tahoe. Great memories.

On a negative note, the first recorded person killed by a cougar in Oregon happened a week ago. She was hiking alone near Mt Hood. The wildlife is out there.

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 07:16 AM
we only got out once this year, for our annual perseid meteor shower campout with friends that we've been doing for over 30 years. That is one very cool tradition Steve!

My father-in-law owns a piece of property on a lake in CT that we have camped at for decades. He has owned the property over 30 years and each year he has to swim in that lake at least once. We were up there just last weekend for a bit. Its a little bitter sweet visiting these day as the property is on the market now. I'd buy it myself, but its just not possible at this time. My kids grew up there camping summer after summer. Great memories there for sure! I made a "story' of the place here..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?82814-What-a-Trip!!!!!!!

al

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 12:50 PM
My latest camping gear score...old coleman 413G stove...mfg in 1977. I have a bunch of the 424 model including dual fuel ones but this 413 is larger.. easier to cook on. Picked it up for $20.00 :) Its in great shape for being 40 years old! Fires right up.
They truly don't make them like they used too!

I really love coleman stoves and burners.

Al

jeep
09-14-2018, 02:07 PM
I have a Coleman duel fuel and it never did work right. I have something called a Pyromid that is awesome! It's all stainless and folds down to 3/4" tall and 15" square and can burn for well over an hour using only 9 briquettes.

brewmaster15
09-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Thats a pretty cool little cooker Brian. One of those and a kelley kettle and A person would be all set.

al

Triciagl
09-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Hiker/Backpacker over here :) Mostly do solo trips, I'll bring along my dog some of the time. I've been hiking around Lake Tahoe section by section these last two years. I've completed 110 miles, only 60 left to go. I enjoy packing light which of course enables me to enjoy backpacking more. Current record is 17.4 miles in one day. Aspiring to do the Appalachian Trail in 2020. Would also love to build out a van for living and traveling the states to hike.

Jenene
09-16-2018, 01:10 AM
I have fond memories of camping in the Aidirondack Mountains as a child. My parents would take us after the summer school break was over so it would be quieter at the camp grounds. I always missed the start of school.

I’ve only ever camped in tents and some since my husband has limited vacation and I was home summers I began taking the kids camping on my own. We had a favorite spot at Keuka Lake for years. The last few my sister and I throw a tent up at our sailing club. Not wilderness camping but the views are spectacular. The best part being we always know we will not have “neighbors “ a few feet away.

I do enjoy cooking on a camp stove and even learned how to make great coffee in those little percolating pots. We’ve got the mountain pie maker and yes we still bring the Jiffy Pop Al! Do you remember the commercials for that? :p

It’s a great experience for kids. One of my favorite memories was just a few years ago when it was just me and my college age daughter. It was raining so hard we were stuck in the tent playing Boggle and the rain was so loud hitting the tent we had to yell the words at each other. We stayed perfectly dry too. There was a small river running right by our tent from the storm but I had set the tent up correctly and just high enough out of the way. Everyone else around us had bailed out in the middle of the night. It was eerily quite the next morning.

Here are some pics from our last overnight at the sailing club. More glamping than camping.

Kirbs
09-16-2018, 01:23 AM
I have a 1988 Coleman Sequoia pop up that I bought new. Every summer we went somewhere with it until the kids were in college. Now we use it sparingly. I pulled it to so many National Parks from Acadia, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon. The last 2 week trip we took with it was to Banff N.P. In Canada. We stopped at Glacier on the way back. My kids are 36, 32 and 30. My middle daughter won't let me sell it......to many memories in it! I tell people that the only thing they will remember me for was that I made them go to so many National Parks! But you know what, now they travel the world! My middle one just spent 3 weeks in Scotland and Ireland. Last year she was in China. In 2008 they all took my wfe and I to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia! They wouldn't trade those trips for anything! Best investment my wife and I ever made was that camper.

brewmaster15
09-19-2018, 07:26 AM
Kirby we have a tiny 1996 Clipper popup we bought used 2 years ago. We had always tent camped before that. I do love that popup though. We have some great trips so far and I really enjoy having all my gear for a trip pretty much packed up and ready to go. Setting it and closing it down is a breeze. I went a little crazy over board with stuff I don't use on it much like a solar battery system and I added a second propane tank. My kids really enjoyed tenting it, but they are very happy with the popup too. Gives is the ability to sit around the campfire or if its raining be comfortable in the camper. Best of both worlds!

al

Tshethar
09-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Now that I can resize pics... thought I'd share our setup from this past summer. Most summers we do a 24 hour drive over several days to escape the heat and see family and friends. An affordable way to spend the better part of a week on Cape Cod...

Seems like we've reached the age with the van when there's always something to spend money on (this summer it was the AC compressor and the exhaust system, still to be fixed), but don't think we'll ever be able to part with her now... 2002 Eurovan MV Weekender...

brewmaster15
09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Bill,Nice campsite! I like the coleman stove set up there with the coffee press.

Three questions for you.

What can you tell me about the table the stove is on? Is that one of the roll up ones?

The screen house... who makes.it? Ive been looking for one with rain flys like that one looks to have! I have had a eurika for years and years thats a great screen house but no rain flys...it finally died this summer with a snapped pole which I fixed with JB Weld but I think its time to retire it.

What campground? Cape cod is not far from me ...a few hours I go there often.

al

Tshethar
09-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Hey Al! Yeah, it was a nice home base this summer--was great to be in one place for several days to really settle in. We camp sometimes when we travel, but discovered that often it isn't worth it to break out the gear for one day only to move on the next. So it was great to fully set up and relax.

My older model Coleman dual fuel had a leak and I found out that there isn't a way to just replace a graphite seal and would have had to buy a whole new valve assembly ($50+), so we spurged for a new and larger one. Most people were hauling large propane tanks, but I'm used to the white gas and like it. My wife found the stainless coffee press after we tried packing a glass one once...

The camping table has been great. Name brand isn't listed on it, and it's more than 10 years old. Been really happy with it, though looks like you don't see this design around much from what a quick search reveals. Not a roll up type so you need some flat space to store it, but it pops up in two seconds. Here's one like it: https://www.gcioutdoor.com/tables-camp-kitchens/compact-camp-table-25/

Screen house is a Eureka Northern Breeze. Man, I just had to look it up and I can't believe it costs $450! We must have paid some real money for that--it was our one big camping purchase 8-10 years ago if I remember--but I hope we paid a little less! :-) I also wanted it for the rainfly along with the mosquito netting. It honestly can get a bit stuffy, even in the shade, but its awesome if there are lots of bugs or rain. We usually put it over the picnic table and have a good refuge besides the vehicle or tent. We used a 12 volt fan linked to a secondary battery to keep some air moving in their this summer.

Campground is Nickerson State Park out near Orleans, MA. Had a really nice Cape experience without paying over $2k for a weekly rental! Some loops are more highly packed in and populated than others; we reserved a spot on one that had fewer sites and were more than happy. Hope we can do it again. You'll want to book something 6 months in advance, though, as the options will get limited if you wait.

Maybe you can convince the family to do one more trip before your daughter heads off to school!

brewmaster15
09-21-2018, 04:07 AM
Thanks for all the info Bill. I have the older smaller dual fuel myself. I do have some propane stoves too but prefer the coleman white fuel stoves and burners. Coleman white gas (naptha) sure has gotten expensive and hard to find. Thankfully crown makes a good substitute for a heck of a lot less than coleman fuel. I have a bunch of coleman dual fuel stoves and lanterns and though its good they can also burn unleaded gas they burn better with white gas I think so thats pretty much what I use unless I run out.

I wondered if that was Nickersons.I have driven around it, spent some time in the woods and by the ponds there. We scouted out sites for a future camping trip but haven't camped there yet. Looks like you had a really nice site.

Thanks for sharing. $450 for the screenhouse is definitively a big ticket purchase! I will have to look into it. I love eurika tents. I still have a 2 man one I bought 20-30 years ago.But they are expensive tents!

Al

brewmaster15
09-24-2018, 05:45 AM
Broke out one of my colemans to boil corn. I like to run them from time to time. Keeps the generator from clogging.

This one runs on white gas aka naptha aka coleman fuel...Its a model 425 F.. Goes back to the 80s so I am guessing its 30 plus years old. Usually they are date stamped.. this one isnt.

Al

brewmaster15
09-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Gone Camping this weekend.. We were supposed to head out yesterday but things came up and we couldnt so we are back yard camping.. set up the pop up... cooked breakfast outdoors and today we will spend it outside ...no inside time.. its beautiful fall weather this weekend.

bacon and eggs campfire .. and a huge private campsite. :)

It ain't fancy and kind of cramped for 2 adults and 2 almost adult teens but we enjoy the time in it.

al

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2018, 11:42 AM
What a great way to build memories Al even in your backyard. I have so many memories of camping with my grandparents. We would play rummy into the evening hours in their little travel trailer. Can't beat food cooked outside and love sitting around a campfire...pure magic. :D
Pat

brewmaster15
09-29-2018, 01:34 PM
I agree Pat! and speaking of food.Just popped on the coals some megaburgers for lunch.. Hand made.

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Yum Al, I remember the days of a rare burger :D
Pat

rickztahone
09-29-2018, 04:06 PM
I must admit, camping is something I love but have never properly done it lol. Having been born and raised in Los Angeles, not many camp around here. My parents and pretty much everyone in my family thinks camping is a waste of time. They'd much rather do a day trip and come back the same day. I've always liked the outdoors and have always liked looking for critters and such and photograph them as well as flowers.

With all that said, I have gone out camping with family and friends but it isn't what you guys describe. All the camp grounds I have ever been to have all been crawling with other campers in areas that are obscenely cramped.

It has always been my dream to go out camping where there is no one, some ACTUAL peace and quiet and not a port-o-potty in sight! Unfortunately, I haven't found a place like that, and even if I would, no one is willing to go with me. My wife does not like the outdoors, and whilst my daughter does, I can tell she really prefers her creature comforts but is willing to do the full camp experience if I really wanted to go with her.

My father in law has an RV and we actually recently used it, about a week or two back. However, there is a reason why we never let my father in law make plans, lol. He booked a place where only RV's park in a huge parking lot. No real grass or even some good ol dirt really to be seen. It was more glamping than anything stuck in an RV which I wouldn't consider camping. The day where we were going to go to the lake, there was a huge fire and the lake was evacuated as the helicopters were getting water to battle the blaze.

Anyways, I love the idea of camping, I just don't feel I've done it up to the standards of what I have wanted lol. I'll live vicariously through all of you in the meantime.

RogueDiscus
09-29-2018, 04:35 PM
We're fortunate to have decent "out in the woods" camp spots just an hour away. BLM or US Forest Service campgrounds. As I mentioned above, they do have facilities, but the sites are spaced out enough and have trees around and adjacent to lakes, although water levels were terribly low this year. You don't have to go much farther and there are forest service roads that people just drive into and camp, but again, the dry conditions put a ban on campfires in those areas by mid July. Fires were only allowed in the developed sites. Rifle deer hunting season starts next week, so folks will be out in those FS areas with their RV's.

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 09:53 AM
Hi all,
I thought I'd revitalize this thread. Winters in CT are gloomy at times and can be pretty depressing for someone that likes the vibrant spring and summer. I still camp alot and this time of the year I spend a good amount of time researching camping spots and gear.

My latest goal is winter camping. I used to camp alot at a family property but we no longer have that ... so its private campgrounds and state ones. Unfortunately here in CT they all shut down in the winter. I have exhausted my search for winter tent camping in CT:( looking to neighboring states now.

The last two years I expanded my camping gear "collection" to include more coleman stoves and lanterns.. as well as msr back packing stoves.. I always wanted them but they tended to be kind of pricey so I avoided them. I have a much more favorable view now of them. I like their newest versions.. the universal and dragonfly models .. multifuel stoves that run on all kinds of fuel. I also picked up an addiction for a classic white fuel stove.. svea123 . What a cool little pack stove.

I revisited my coleman lantern collections. I have been obsessed with kerosene stoves and lanterns.. There are very few kerosene versions being made now.. coleman only makes 1.. model 639c. There are other brands but they are $$$$. Whats a guy to do? Well a little resesrch and I was able to figure out how to convert most of my coleman lanterns to kerosene... thanks to scrounging through classiccampstove websites and some personal correspondence with the guys at oldcolemanparts.com I love using kerosene in stoves and lamps.. its safer, stores much much longer and is still readily availible. COLEMAN Fuel is getting harder to come by here where I am.. pretty much only walmart sells it. The downside is my interest in kerosene coincides with a current shortage of kerosene and subsequent prices skyrocketing while supply is scarce.

I also explored ultralight weight alcohol stoves..for back packing . Neat little stoves good for boiling water to rehydrate freeze dried meals or ramen. Convenient and takes up little room.. can use isopropyl alcohol but is better on denatured alcohol. I use the yellow bottles of "heet" from the autoparts store.

So thats my camping update.. anyone else?
Al

Iminit
01-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Hey Al. Used to do a lot of camping. But my knee is shot so carrying a back pact is out. I still do a lot of day trips with my wife. Have you been through the Catskill Mts? Lots of good year long trails. Did the Balsam mnt fire tower this past Oct.134178 and than a hike around lake miniwaska134179134180

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 01:12 PM
Tom thats beautiful country..I haven't hiked the catskills but have been to the adirondacks alot.. I think Ive made 4 trips out to the lake placid area.. We were just there this summer..no long distance hiking for me either. Mostly we car camp.. make a base .. and hike out for the day. I woukd like to but I am forever trying to find a compromise I would be okay with between hiking gear and camera gear... I want both with me and really fir my photographic pursuits...its just a hard decision... I can see me doing ultralite hiking in florida with some camera gear down the road...of course then I wouldn't be ultralite.lol

Al

Iminit
01-21-2023, 01:36 PM
Lots to see in the Catskills and not too far away. There are some major hotels in Kingston to overnight in. The town of Woodstock is about a 1/2hr away. There are many mnts to hike up around Woodstock. Then theres Woodstock a small town of the hippy generation. Lots to see and some good restaurants to grab a meal. Overlook mnt is right there and has what’s left of a 19th century hotel half way up the trail and a fire tower at the top. It’s a nice intermediate trail.
Been up to the Adirondacks did Lake Placid and Mt Marcy. Took a canoe up and down First lake years ago. It’s nice but I find the Catskills just so much nicer.

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 01:47 PM
Heres one of my latest finds.. coleman 400b. RUNS ON COLEMAN FUEL. This stove was made Nov 1997 .

Got this on ebay as a"parts" stove . Seller couldnt get it started. These old coleman stoves were built to last.. I have some that go back to 1960s . They are self serviceable and though parts are scarce you can usually repair them. This repair was easy.. the pump on these stoves has a small cup that dries out and deforms so you cant pressurize it.. a little oil and work it into shape and bam..back in business.

Took all of 5 mins. I will still take it all apart and clean it good but it works well for starters.

Al

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 02:29 PM
Here is a svea123 .. made of brass. Made in sweden. This little gem has no pump.. no moving parts except a fuel valve. It runs on white gas.. naptha (coleman fuel/panelwipe I think in europe.) It can run on unleaded gas but will need cleaning often... it works by simply warming the stove with your hands or preheating with a few drop alcohol....ignite.. then open the valve. Its loud but in a good way.. these come with a wind screen, tool key and potstand and aluminum cup..this one here was another parts stove I am working on.

Preheating with some alcohol.

Houston we have ignition..

Iminit
01-21-2023, 02:32 PM
Yes brings back memories. Somewhere I’ve got a small white gas stove. Same thing you had to pump it. Also have the small propane stove from the 80s that been sitting on a shelf by my back door for 20+ yrs. It’s a Gaz made in France.134192134193.

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 03:06 PM
Tom, thats a great stove..I dont have one yet. I understand they no longer make the fuel canisters for it which is a shame but I read that its possible to adapt them to other canisters.

Dont suppose you have the pot set that came with it?
Al

Hicgup
01-21-2023, 04:00 PM
Al, one more reason for you to make a trek to VA. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping.

brewmaster15
01-21-2023, 04:11 PM
Al, one more reason for you to make a trek to VA. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/winter-camping.

THAT Is great info! THANK YOU!:)
al