PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Safe Turn-Off Period Everyday

dvsrk
09-17-2018, 03:46 PM
I have a tank with 70G capacity with canister filter of capacity 75GPH. I was thinking to shutoff the canister filter for few hours in a day (randomly) for following reasons,

Avoid the food getting sucked by the filter during feeding times (&)
To save on power consumption

Questions:

Is it safe to shut off the fileter without impacting Beneficial Bacteria in the filter?
What is the minimum or maximum amount of time in a day I can turn the filter off. Since I'm using a smart plug I can do this randomly at various intervals of a day.
Any other possible suggestions?

Thank you.

brewmaster15
09-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Its okay to shut it off a few minutes at a time for feeding but your biological filtration needs oxygen. Depending on the organic load in the filter your filter could be impaired in very little time... 15 mins? 30 mins? who knows.

I would definitely not shut it off to save electricity. Aquarium filters really dont draw that much and you will really mess up your bio filter if you do that, imo.

hth,
al

dvsrk
09-17-2018, 05:26 PM
sure, thank you.

I'm not going to shut off :)

fljones3
09-17-2018, 05:55 PM
I have a tank with 70G capacity with canister filter of capacity 75GPH. I was thinking to shutoff the canister filter for few hours in a day (randomly) for following reasons,

Avoid the food getting sucked by the filter during feeding times (&)
To save on power consumption

Questions:

Is it safe to shut off the fileter without impacting Beneficial Bacteria in the filter?
What is the minimum or maximum amount of time in a day I can turn the filter off. Since I'm using a smart plug I can do this randomly at various intervals of a day.
Any other possible suggestions?

Thank you.

Just add a prefilter sponge to the intake.

Filip
09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm shutting off mine for 15 minutes on a timer during every feeding .It shuts back on automatically after 15 min. I do this because I have dense decor and plants on the sides and I don't want the food to end up " in the woods " instead of the front area where discus can slowly eat it .
I also use prefilter on my intake too .