PDA

View Full Version : A Little Out of Order

Cove Beach
09-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Hello my name is Mark, i skipped over this part figuring i'd have more to tell once my tank had water in it instead of dust. My wife and I are from Ohio on the edge of Lake Erie about 20 miles west of Cleveland. All the kids are grown and on their own except for our 4 legged child Maggie who is a Great Dane. I work in Aerospace and my wife is a retired hairdresser. We enjoy boating on Lake Erie and traveling when time permits. My hobbies are quite varied. They include woodworking, metal working,restoring cars,building race cars, aviation,hunting , fishing, and last but not least aquariums. My parents started me out with a 30 gallon slate bottomed chrome steel framed tank that my dad and i set up as an in-wall under the steps to the basement. It was a community tank with only a hang on filter with plastic plants and some big chunks of slate. In my teens i started adding tanks till the basement looked like a LFS. Sold it all and went to college. Did the life and kids thing for a long while, till one Christmas when my wife gave me the green light for a 75 gal saltwater tank. it slowly became a very full reef setup. So of course i moved up, to a 220 gal setup. That tank was a full blown reef with SPS, LPS and several clams, multiple surgeon fish and a trigger for good measure. That tank ran for 15 years in the basement. We decided to move the reef to the living room and upsize the tank a little to 245gal. The tank was ordered but in the change over period there was a near crash of the system and i found new homes for the remaining animals. So the new tank sat for several years empty... One day i was told to either finish it or sell it. I decided to return to my first love. A freshwater in-wall tank. I chose Discus, for their beauty and that i never do anything easy. I registered on Simply a while back and spent a lot of time doing my research, so far things are doing well, but i enjoy learning from all the experience that is given so graciously here and hope to add what i can.

Jakes
09-18-2018, 04:26 PM
O man love the story and cant wait to see pictures of your set-up 😉😉

Paul Sabucchi
09-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Welcome back, kind of! So how far along are you with setting up the tank, give us more details!

brewmaster15
09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Hey Mark, Glad you introduced yourself! Welcome officially to SimplyDiscus!

Al

LizStreithorst
09-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Welcome, Mark. I'm looking forward to following your journey. Hope you post some pics as you move along.

Pices
09-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Hi Mark,
Nice introduction. Welome (belatedly) to Simply Discus and the king of The freshwater fish. Good choice! So, when do we get to see your tank and fish?
Patty

Filip
09-19-2018, 02:12 AM
Hi and welcome Mark . I'm sure that discus will bring back that passion of fish keeping in you again .
In looking forward following your tank and discus journal here .

Paul Sabucchi
09-19-2018, 08:28 AM
And more to the point, can we see photos of the Dane?
These are my current two

Cove Beach
09-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! As far as the tank set up and progress i started a thread in My Tank Journals. I do have fish in the tank, all from Kenny. Out of ten fish i have two matching breeding pairs and one mismatched. So lots of posturing going on. I will shrink down a couple pics of our Dane as soon as i can. She was a rescue that we got after are big boy passed (188lbs). When we got her she was a 106lbs bag of bones. She had a bad case of worms, which we treated her for only to have her come down with aspiration pneumonia which nearly killed her. We nursed her day and night for 2 weeks, it cost her sight in the process. But now we have a very sassy blind Dane of 140lbs! That is the same couch!!http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmenthttp://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=118155&stc=1&d=1537388093id=118154&stc=1&d=1537388093

snxtif
09-20-2018, 01:06 AM
Good gawd em are huge lol
I've never kept something bigger than a Terrier