PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Aquarium Filters

brewmaster15
10-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Hi all,
I am really pleased to introduce to you and welcome our newest Sponsor, Joie and Big Block Aquarium Filters. A Little history is in order here first though. Back in August I was contacted by a member by the name of Joie regarding becoming a sponsor. In our discussions he told me about a filter that he had designed and was starting up a business to market it. I am always intrigued by new ideas and I really like what Joie described as to the filter design and functioning. I offered to test the filter for him if he needed anyone to do this. This was back in the beginning of August. Joie was enthusiastic and sent me one to try.

I won't go into my experiences in detail in this thread as I am working on a more detailed review that I hope to post latter today or tomorrow but needless to say I was very impressed, not just with the filter which I think is just brilliant, but also with Joie. I gave Joie feedback as I could over the last 2 months and he listened to this feedback intently. I could see he truly appreciated it and wanted to improve his products where he could. Its always refreshing to work with someone that puts their heart into something and has drive and initiative. We discussed me trying the filter out back in August and then talking about sponsorships...Today I am thrilled to welcome him on as Sponsor.

I will let Joie introduce himself and tell you about his filters. I think these filters are really a great idea and well made.. They make use of 3 different biological medias, look really sharp, and best of all are Air Driven! I have been running my test filter with an inexpensive Whisper 60 pump and its been more than adequate as an air source.

Welcome aboard Joie!!! and best wishes for success with this Venture!

Al

RogueDiscus
10-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Hello Joie and thanks for joining SD's group of sponsors! Good luck with your new filter enterprise. It looks very interesting.
Steve

Adam S
10-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Welcome, Joie. Looking forward to seeing your product in Al's review. It certainly has a more refined look than the ugly sponges a lot of us use.

Mr.BigBlock
10-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks Al for the intro! I'm definitely excited to be a sponsor on Simplydiscus!

As Al mentioned, my name is Joie (pronounced Joey) and I've been a member of Simplydiscus for a few years now. I've raised discus since the 80's off-and-on and can remember getting Wattleys back in the day. Anyhow, my latest return to the discus keeping hobby began towards the end of 2017. I noticed a lot of new strains and I've always been partial to albinos. While doing my homework, I came across moving bed filters and was intrigued. The problem for me was trying to find a source other than a DIY set up. Not to take anything away from doing things yourself and saving a few bucks, but I didn't care for the look of an upside down 2 liter Coke bottle in my aquarium. That got me thinking...

Fast forward a couple of weeks and the idea of the Big Block filter hits me. I wanted a filter that could handle a large bio load without having to resort to a sump system, a large canister or HOB and was simple to set up and use. I also didn't care for all of the "accessories" that come with raising discus cluttering my tank, which for me would be a filter (usually a sponge), a heater and a breeding cone. The Big Block filter took care of all that.

While the filter is not small by any means, as Al mentioned it does incorporate three different types of filtration...a moving bed, static bio media and a sponge filter. The housing and end caps are made of PVC and are durable and easy to clean. There's also a clear plexi "window" that allows you to monitor the media to know when it's time to clean it, as well as show the moving bed at work. It's an internal filter so you don't have to worry about leaking hoses, or power outages shutting off your canister filter. It does run on air, so if your air pump shuts off, the circulation will stop, but at least the nitrifying bacteria won't die off as quickly (I've had many a canister filter stop working and when I got it back on, the water that went into the tank was disgusting to say the least). An added benefit is it serves as a breeding surface for discus and angelfish.

There's a lot more info on the website and pictures of the filter as well. Please take a look when you have some time and let me know if you have any questions.

Joie

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Hi Joie, welcome to Simply's family of sponsors. Your Big Box filter sounds intriguing. Sort of an "all in one" unit. Would you like for me to post one of your filter images here?
Pat

danotaylor
10-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Joie I think you were alluding to this in your post as you shared the history of how you came to construct the filter, but is it possible to place a heater inside the big box tower hiding it from view in the tank?
Thanks mate, and welcome TO SD as a sponsor!
Danny

Mr.BigBlock
10-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Hi Pat,

If you don't mind posting a pic, I'd appreciate it!

Joie

Mr.BigBlock
10-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Joie I think you were alluding to this in your post as you shared the history of how you came to construct the filter, but is it possible to place a heater inside the big box tower hiding it from view in the tank?
Thanks mate, and welcome TO SD as a sponsor!
Danny

Hi Danny,

Yes, I can definitely add a heater into the filter. I don't have it offered on the site just yet because I'm bringing in some heaters that I plan to offer as a package. Also, I know folks have their preferences when it comes to heaters and I can customize the filter of your choice to work with the brand/size you need.

I'll post some pics later of one of the heated filters I have in my tank.

Joie

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Hi Pat,

If you don't mind posting a pic, I'd appreciate it!

Joie

Hi Joie, I added the pic to post 4. Hope the placement is ok.
Pat

Mr.BigBlock
10-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Hi Joie, I added the pic to post 4. Hope the placement is ok.
Pat

Awesome, thanks Pat!

Joie

Disgirl
10-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Welcome Joie! I like your new filter, what a clever idea. I see you live in a wonderful place!
Barb

Mr.BigBlock
10-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks Barb, living in Hawaii has its perks! Although, we've had to deal with some pretty rough occurrences lately...floods, hurricanes, wild fires and lava. Can't recall the last time all this happened in such a short span of time...

Joie

Pices
10-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Welcome new sponsor! I like the sleek style and the idea being able to see inside. Will look great in a discus tank. Very cool Joie!
Patty

jeep
10-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Welcome Joie!!! I was looking at your site. Very interesting!!!

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Welcome new sponsor! I like the sleek style and the idea being able to see inside. Will look great in a discus tank. Very cool Joie!
Patty

Thanks Patty!

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Welcome Joie!!! I was looking at your site. Very interesting!!!

Thanks jeep!

Filip
10-05-2018, 03:36 AM
Welcome in our sponsor team Joie .
Very well set and neat looking all in one design.
I wish you good luck with your new product on the market and I'm looking forward to read Als detailed review .

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 04:01 AM
Thanks Filip!

Paul Sabucchi
10-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Welcome from me too, will be heading to your website to check it out. Also looking forward to reading about Al "beta testing" your filter

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Welcome from me too, will be heading to your website to check it out. Also looking forward to reading about Al "beta testing" your filter

Thanks Paul!

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a cell phone pic of my Albino Golden Leopard Snake Skin with eggs on the side of a Big Block filter. Sorry for the poor quality...had to use my cell phone since I neglected to charge the Canon camera's battery. I hope I can post this pic correctly...

Disgirl
10-05-2018, 05:23 PM
I want one Joie! Will go order one later today. Looking forward to this filter for a new discus tank I am setting up. Thanks,
Barb

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 05:34 PM
I want one Joie! Will go order one later today. Looking forward to this filter for a new discus tank I am setting up. Thanks,
Barb

Thanks Barb! Let me know if you have any questions about the right size to buy.

Joie

Disgirl
10-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Just ordered. Thanks for your invention! I am also an "inventor" of stuff for discus so I can appreciate a fellow "inventor".
Barb

Mr.BigBlock
10-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Just ordered. Thanks for your invention! I am also an "inventor" of stuff for discus so I can appreciate a fellow "inventor".
Barb

Cool, thanks again Barb! Some call it a disease, but I think we need more "inventors" in the world!

I'll package up the filter and get it in the mail tomorrow. Once you get it, please let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

Thanks,
Joie

Pardal
01-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Wow Joie! Welcome!
I just came to this post today!. I had to admit I don't visit simply as often or as long as I used to.
I like that you are representing Hawaii here in the sponsor section. I have very fund memories from Hawaii, and of course one of the best years of my humble breeding career.
Julian.

Mr.BigBlock
01-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Hi Julian,

Thanks!

Glad to see that you're still breeding discus. I took a brief reprieve after that last batch we brought in, but I just can't stay away!

Joie

pm9ljr
01-18-2019, 05:53 PM
I have one of the big block filters and really like it... Joie was great working with me when the initial shipment was a little shy of covering the heater. I would DEFINTELY order from him again

brewmaster15
02-08-2023, 09:22 AM
JOIE isnt currently a sponsor and his website is not active. I Honestly dont know if he still makes these but it really was a cool design so I am moving this here but will lock the post. Its a nice reference point for how creative hobbyists can be.