PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Pip

LizStreithorst
10-18-2018, 11:16 AM
I don't go looking for dogs. God just throws them at me.

I was driving to town Tuesday and there was a small black dog on the highway. It went back to the side of the road when a big truck went by. I was going in the opposite direction, but I stopped. There was nothing around but woods. No houses, nothing...I scooped it up and took it with me. I took the baby into the bank, the pharmacy, the hardware store, the Post Office, and the feed store where I picked up wormer for her.

Yesterday I took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with demodex and a possible fungal infection and bacterial infection of the skin. She's just a baby dog. She still has puppy breath. Neglected babies don't have their immune system going full blast. She got a shot and Nexgard for the demodex and I have the anti-fungal/bacterial shampoo already. Other than her skin problems which should clear up easily with good care and treatment she is in excellent condition.

Here's a few pic of her. I took the one from the rear because I'm kind of a fuss budget when it comes to correct structure.

jeep
10-18-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm glad she found a home!

Captain Discus
10-18-2018, 11:45 AM
OH there is my puppy! I wonder how she got so far away?
Just Kidding Liz.
You are the ultimate animal lover. I know she is in great hands.
Tom.

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2018, 11:56 AM
What a cutie Liz and the name fits her perfectly. :D Any idea what her breeding is?
Pat

LizStreithorst
10-18-2018, 12:14 PM
It's just a guess, but she's long bodied and short legged so I think there's dachshund back there somewhere, plus some other small dog with medium hair.

Mr.BigBlock
10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks for taking care of her Liz.

Paul Sabucchi
10-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Talk about landing on her feet! Being abandoned must have been awful for her and what are common health issues could soon have turned into a very bad outcome but then Liz drove by and it was like winning the lottery! God bless your caring heart Liz, you are on the side of the angels. All our love to you and all your non-human family

Disgirl
10-18-2018, 04:40 PM
What a little sweetie Liz, lucky her and lucky you with your new dog. She has a great forever home now.
Barb

LizStreithorst
10-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

brewmaster15
10-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Cute little bugger and very lucky one to find you Liz. Congrats on the new family member...kind of reminds me Tramp..(gender aside)

al

LizStreithorst
10-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Have you ever tried to clean house with the "help" of a young puppy? I have...Nothing is a better toy than a broom.

LizStreithorst
11-08-2018, 08:35 PM
I looked at those pics I took just now and I can't believe that I thought that she was fairly good condition. I guess she was considering the still had puppy breath. She couldn't have been on her own for more than a few days. Still, I know what she looks like now and I cannot believe how far she has come. As soon as we have a dry day I'll take more pics.

I got her second vaccines at the feed store today. I was hoping they would make her feel a little poorly for a while. Not a chance. She continues to steal the dirty clothes I toss on the floor before I go to bed. God only knows where I might find a sock or T shirt. The broom is a toy. The vacuum is the enemy. My 15 year old Rat Terrier is a play friend. Poor old Tink growls and snaps but Tink has few teeth and Pip think it's a game. If she weren't so loving and smart and if she didn't totally zonk in bed at night, and if she weren't otherwise impossible not to love, I'd have put a gun to my head long ago.

Paul Sabucchi
11-09-2018, 03:54 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun! Hard work but bet your jaw is hurting from all the smiling! Well done

danotaylor
11-09-2018, 04:44 AM
Looking forward to the "after" pics Liz!! :drummer:

Good on ya Mama Bear :angel:

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2018, 08:31 AM
She sounds like so much fun Liz even if she hides your dirty clothes. Unless finding the clothes is part of the fun a dirty clothes hamper may be a good investment :) Would love to see some more pic of her. She is a cutie.
Pat

dagray
11-09-2018, 11:36 AM
I had a ferret that would hide silverware.

Darned thing would steal it off the counter and rat hole it in the bottom of the sofa.

LizStreithorst
11-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Did you find it amusing? I smile and shake my head when Pip steals my dirty clothes.

dagray
11-09-2018, 12:27 PM
I did find it amusing.

Pices
11-09-2018, 01:20 PM
What a little cutie pie. Sounds like the perfect name for her too. Glad you found each other. She sounds like an entertaining little spirit. Lucky pup!
Patty

LizStreithorst
11-10-2018, 01:51 PM
She is so hard to get a picture of. She's either playing chase or wrestle with Bruno or has her nose to the ground. I managed to get one of her sitting that shows the hair regrowth after having demodex. She still has some hair loss around her eyes but it is growing back. The other was of her as she was eating what was left over from the treat of scratch I tossed to the chickens every day as a treat. She doesn't always have a dirty nose. She isn't high in the loin and weak in the chine either. It's the way she's standing. She has a very strong top line for a long bodied dog.

Look at how smooth and shiny her coat is compared to pics from when I first rescued her.

Disgirl
11-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Her coat is now so shiny and much healthier looking. I love her ears.

Second Hand Pat
11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Darn she is cute Liz :) and she looks great :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
11-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Her coat is now so shiny and much healthier looking. I love her ears.

Barb it's those ears that give her character. I love them to. Ears go up and down when a dog looses it's baby teeth and the adult teeth come in. You never know for sure what you will get. I hope they end up the way they look now. It's a good look for her.

Pices
11-13-2018, 10:30 PM
What a difference from the first pics. Her fur has grown in around her neck and is so shiny now. She’s got a new lease on life. Love those ears too!
Patty

RogueDiscus
11-13-2018, 10:41 PM
So Liz, is she a people dog, too? Does she sit with you?

LizStreithorst
11-13-2018, 10:57 PM
She is enormously peopley. She can snuggle with the best. She has an strong independent streak as well. She's a little gutsy thing. She's a hand full, for sure. She kind of reminds me of myself.

LizStreithorst
02-03-2019, 10:27 PM
She's 3 monthsish now. She is just as cute as before. Her coat is totally beautiful. In conformation she is close to what she was in the first pic but more muscular. If I were to call her a breed I would call her a long haired Miniature Dachshund mix. But we all know that she's really a Hwy 11 dog.

In temperament she is the same but more so. I said earlier that she often had nose to the ground. It was an under statement. Pip has the nose of a scent discrimination dog. When first took Sweetie out of the car and put her in the chicken house I did it before I let the dogs out. Then I let them out. Pip went ballistic! Her hackles were up. she was barking furiously and acting like she wanted to find the intruder while being afraid to at the same time. She finally found Sweetie and I had to scold her harshly when she tried to go after the poor confused hen.

I thought that she had a stubborn streak. I thought that she had an aggressive streak. She has shown me both. It's nothing but a little training won't fix but sometimes she needs a swift smack on the ***. She's smart. She's testing what she can and can't get away with. She gets away with a lot and I put my foot strongly down when she does the unacceptable. She's been eating the stuffing out of the arms of my arm chair. The chair isn't valuable so I let that slide. I whup her behind if she tries to take food from an older small dog by starting a fight.

She doesn't hold the punishment against me. We're best friends again once her arse has been spanked.

I need to take more pics of her soon and post them. I think she's a looker.

LizStreithorst
02-16-2019, 04:42 PM
I've had her for 4 months now. Will you look at how she has changed!

This morning she presented me with a dead rat. At least she was playing with in on the bedroom floor rather than on the bed itself. The last time she brought a dead rat in she was still quite young. I figured the cat killed it, even though it was on the large side for a cat. I'm wondering now if Pip is the rat killer. She's always looking for something to hunt. I'd like it if she turned out to be a ratter. I'd like it better if she'd keep them outside.

AquaWoman
02-17-2019, 12:12 AM
Wow! What a difference! You should’ve named her “Lucky”! That Pup hit the jackpot when she fell in your lap.
It never gets old seeing a Rescue dog go from utter despair and neglect to thriving and normal under someone’s love and care. I’ve done this with a few sad and desperate cases myself. Our current Pug Louie is our latest rescue.

Great Job Liz, she’s a Beauty and her mischievous spirit goes to show how happy and normal she is under your care.

1claire
02-19-2019, 01:47 AM
You have such an adorable dog, she seems friendly.

Pices
02-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Wow Liz her coat is beautiful! Amy is so right. She hit the doggie lotto when she found her way to you. That little face really melts my heart.
Patty

Second Hand Pat
02-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Damn she turned into a beauty Liz!! I am sure glad she found you.
Pat

Chicago Discus
02-19-2019, 03:26 PM
That dogs a cutie....Josie

LizStreithorst
02-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Thanks folks. She is indeed a good looker. Yesterday my neighbor who hunts came down with 3 dear leg bones for the dogs. This morning, one was being chewed on on the bed by you know who. At least it had the meat chewed off it when I saw it. She got away with it, same as she got away with the dead rats because when she's not up to no good, she's a darlin'. She's my little angel-devil.

brewmaster15
02-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Liz.
I'm happy for you. Its nice when you have a furball companion that makes you smile.

al

LizStreithorst
07-28-2019, 05:03 PM
I need to take another pic to remind myself of what I have done. She is going to have babies on August 5th and I actually wanted her and Bruno to have babies. She is due August 5th.

I have done a thing that I consider bad. I have let mix breed dogs make babies when there are so many dogs who need homes. Despite my sin I absolutely cannot wait for the babies.

LizStreithorst
07-29-2019, 07:52 PM
She has become much more dependent on me. She isn't clinging but she asks for my re-assurance because she can't figure out what is going on inside her. I tell not to worry, that once she has the babies it will feel worth all the fear and uncertainty that she feels now. I tell her that I will always be with her and take care of her. Her belly has dropped. ATM is is looking like 5 babies. That is more than I hoped for but an acceptable number for her to be able to feed milk without my help. Her little boobies are developing well.

One more week. The waiting is hard already and keep getting harder and harder until the babies come. Anyone here want a mixed breed puppy? They will be small and cute. They will be raised with love. Both parents have excellent structure and are quite smart so their's a good chance that their kids will be as well.

Disgirl
07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
The puppies may be so small, cute and smart you will decide to keep them all! I can hardly wait to see them.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
07-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Liz, what does Bruno look like? Just curious. Congrats on the almost here puppies. There is nothing cutie then new puppies. :heart2: Hope all goes well with the birth.
Pat

LizStreithorst
07-30-2019, 10:34 AM
He's a handsome brindle boy. The breed he most resembles is a Whippet but he is much smaller. Like Pip has near perfect structure. The main thing wrong with the breeding is that they are so different in type. Pip is long and low while Bruno is long legged. I understand that his brother had short legs. Who knows what I'll get in the puppies. I'll try to snap a pic of him today.

Barb, I won't let my emotions run away with me. I'll keep the best one and find good homes for the others.

LizStreithorst
07-31-2019, 04:56 PM
I took this pic of Bruno yesterday. I need to try to snap a pic that shows his head, but I didn't play with the camera at all today.

Poor Pip. 5 more days...She's so full of babies. I feel sorry for her. I will let her choose the place she will deliver, but I put a nice soft dog bed next to my chair in the office. She seems to be very comfortable there.

LizStreithorst
07-31-2019, 04:57 PM
I just looked at the pic again. I can do better. I'll try again tomorrow.

danotaylor
07-31-2019, 05:49 PM
They look like a great match for size & general characteristics Liz...fun times puppy momma!!

Second Hand Pat
07-31-2019, 11:07 PM
Will be a cool pairing Liz, I bet these pups are going to be great dogs.
Pat

Sturiosoma
08-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Ouch, this is a poor breeding a large male with such a small female and why, there aren't enough rescues that need homes or is this all about the money, I'm hoping your vet is close by when pip your rescue delivers.

Jeanne aka being played

Pudmuppy
08-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Any sign of the puppies yet? :)

LizStreithorst
08-08-2019, 08:08 AM
She had them Saturday. I was worried and excited beyond belief. Every day that went on she looked like there were more babies inside her. The day before she delivered I was afraid their might be 7 of them. I hoped not.

I was right there with her when she started pushing. I was so beside myself that I called Barb in NC for emotional support. She's a cat person not a dog person and she had never helped deliver any baby animals, but she's a good friend. She calmed me down, we hung up and she proceeded to search the internet for info on how to deliver puppies.

Pip started popping the first one out. It was breach so it was a hard one. I immediately called Barb back and called her. She said I could call her every 15 minutes if I wanted to and I did! One after another puppies came out every 10 to 15 minutes. Barb told me all the stuff she had read. I already knew it having worked beside a veterinarian most of my life. After 7 puppies were delivered I was exhausted and had to take a nap. When got up and checked her 20 minutes later she had popped an 8th baby out!

Poor little Pippi. So young and having to care for 8 little babies...I was prepared to give them supplemental feeding with milk replacer if it was necessary but so far they're all doing well and growing well. Yesterday was the first day she was away from them long enough for me to change their blanket from a patterned one to a solid one so I could get pics.124476124475124474

Second Hand Pat
08-08-2019, 08:22 AM
I am sure glad you both survived the birthing process and such cute little ones. So glad to hear all are doing well, pups, Pip and Liz :D Wasn't expecting a white or tan pup in the mix!
Pat

LizStreithorst
08-08-2019, 08:34 AM
I think that the almost white one was sired by her other gentleman suitor. I know that he never tied with her but he got close enough to it to make her yelp and run away. Goes to show that a tie isn't really necessary. I've heard that. Now I know that it's actually true.

Disgirl
08-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Liz and Pip, it was my honor to be part of the miracle of nature. It was a memory I will not forget. I just wish I could have one of the puppies. I would choose the brown one and take the long drive just to get him. But our 4 cats would not allow it. And Bill might trip over a puppy. Walking is already almost impossible for him. I didn't know 2 fathers could be part of this event, that is new info. for me. Thanks for letting me be part of it.
Barb

LizStreithorst
10-14-2019, 03:26 PM
I haven't taken pics of these puppies for a long time. I'll do it tomorrow if it's not raining. I'll be taking 5 of them to the humane society soon. I found a home for 1 and I'm keeping 2 myself. I love them all and it will break my heart. But the humane society will have them all neutered and charge money for them so it's their best hope of them finding a good home.

All these babies were sired by Bruno except a black one with very short legs. I've named him Stubby. I will keep him as well as the medium size one. Her name is Pearl. She looks just like Bruno.

Remember that little very blond, very small one? I thought that it would be a runt forever but it has outgrown most of them.

Pippy has an appointment for a spay tomorrow. I loved raising those babies. If there were job that required raising puppies with love and worming, and vaccinating I would be the best choice for the job. There is no such job. Pippy has done a stellar job raising her little kids but it wouldn't be right to put her through this again. She is a lucky dog. She still loves her kids and teaches them all the things dogs should know in order to be happy dogs and she gets to raise Pearl and Stubby to maturity.

danotaylor
10-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Nice one Liz. Give Pip, Bruno & fam a squeeze and a tickle from there goth aussie uncle ;)