PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old ????????

jimmyjoe
10-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Hello anybody, I've been out of the hobby as far as Discus are involved for about 5-6 years maybe more I'm so old I've forgotten. My question though is this, how old is too OLD for this hobby. I'm in my soon to be 71 years Old, I've really got the itch again but, I don't know if my body will be able to take up the challenge. My plan is to start with some juvies and grow them out for some pairs and start breeding again, but I'd really like to get a pair or two and jump right in again. So any moral support would be welcomed and any of course any suggestions good or bad. Thanks Jim in North Ridgeville, Ohio

pm9ljr
10-20-2018, 10:16 AM
I am 70 in December and although still new... since July... enjoying even the water changes.. ha ha for now anyway. I have 6 and hope to add 4 more soon

brewmaster15
10-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Jim,
If you have the time and space and are physically able to keep Discus again I say go for it. You obviously like these flatfish. If they make you happy go for it! Theres ways to do it that minimize the work aspects of it. Just go slow with it and enjoy the fish first.Id Resist the urge to breed them a bit just to make sure you are able to keep up with the requirements.

Then again I am very biased.. Im pretty sure I will always have discus. We plan on Rv-ing it in our latter years. I will likely fit out an RV with a tank when that time comes :)
al

danotaylor
10-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Jim I have no clue how physically able you are, but there are many ways to simplify the maintenance schedule, even if you have some physical challenges. I am sure you are aware of auto-drain & fill systems, pythons to drain and fill, etc. If you have the time, energy and will to make it work then go for it mate! I agree with Al to ease in and see if the dream & reality align, and build it out from there!
All the best to you sir!
Danny

brady
10-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Hey guys I'm 78 and still going strong with discus and many other hobbies.
Running, biking, cheese making, wine making, ect. My wife says hobbies are
my hobby.
If your in good shape just do it.
Jay

LizStreithorst
10-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Even if you're not in good shape you can do it if you set things up with pumps to make WC easy.

I'm just 67 but degenerative disc disease is putting a hurtin' on me in a big way. It's tough on me because I used to be Wonder Woman. I still have a 20'X20' fish room full of tanks that I do WC on every single day. I can do it because back when I set it up to make WC easy.

Even if you were in a wheel chair you can keep Discus if you set it up with your limitations in mind.

nah
10-20-2018, 03:24 PM
If you have a minute see my New Old Guy post in the new thread. I think that keeping tropical fish was invented for retired types. Your biggest problem might be the fixed income. I have been away from Discus breeding for so long that all we had to breed then were the 3 wild Amazon versions. I remember a disease known as "Hole in the Head" disease as common to raising and breeding Discus.

Willie
10-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Discus is for old people. The younger ones have too many distractions in their lives.

Willie

jimmyjoe
10-20-2018, 04:40 PM
I 've been dancing to this number years ago but like Liz ole mama bear my body is broken I have a spinal degenerative disc problem also, but you guys are making this decision easier.

nah
10-20-2018, 05:39 PM
From a line in an Adam Sandler movie Waterboy actor Rob Schneider shouts..."You can do it!"

jimmyjoe
10-20-2018, 06:50 PM
From a line in an Adam Sandler movie Waterboy actor Rob Schneider shouts..."You can do it!"

Love it

slicksta
10-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Jimmyjoe
Depending on your water source, pretreatment needs and the logistics of where the tank(s) will be in your house, if possible set up your aquarium with an automatic drip/drain for water changes. Your tank water parameters stay super stable and your work load is drastically cut. And though I have only bred discus a few times years ago when I was ambitious, I had descent results with minimal effort. I keep community tanks now and I always have a pair or two trying to breed, whether it be discus, angels, rams or bristlenose.
And the best part... No water changes in 10 years.
In any case, go for it!

Second Hand Pat
10-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Hi Jimmy, to long no hear. :D I think you should try it. Keeping fish will help to keep you active, motivated and engaged with life. Aging barrow, pumps and hoses really assist with the need to not have to carry weight even thru working out with weights helps to maintain bone health. If it doesn't work out I am sure it would be easy to take a step back if needed.
Pat

nah
10-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Pat is on to something, Jimmy. I recall my son, who studied neurology at the local medical school, told me two things. Always challenge your brain by doing new and different things, including taking a different route to work from time to time. The other was to hold weight above your head. He says that our entire body gains more strength from holding weight over our heads. The activity around the aquarium from the various required maintenance will help both mind and body. Why not turn off the TV and put yourself in front of the aquarium for a spell? Very relaxing I suspect.

Paul Sabucchi
10-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Welcome (back) from me too. I aggree with all the advice so far, if you start with just one tank it will give you an opportunity not only to refresh your fishkeeping skills but also to dial in your water changing system, once you are happy it is something you can cope with for the forseable future you can "clone" the setup adding more tanks. I have some 3 way taps on the hoses of my canister filter, 2 are on the intake: one is in the actual tank so I can just stuck a length of hosepipe on it to syphon the bottom (no buckets to carry!!!), The other tap is just before the canister so the old water via a hosepipe goes straighr otsude to the veggie patch. A third tap is on the return hose, attached to it is the pipe from the pump in the ageing barrell. This way there is practically no physical effort involved in the dayly water change. Not saying this is the best system, just that it is well worth trying to figure out what will be the best way for you

gunnerschh2
10-21-2018, 02:25 PM
77yrs. & sliced & diced back, metal knees, & a bout of the big C. I have over 1100 gals of fish [no brains] i put on the ear phones & c&w music. You have to keep moving but set tank up to make things easy. Enjoy the music & good luck.

Hart24601
10-22-2018, 09:32 AM
As others have said I don't see it being a problem, just plan it all out really well. If possible run a line to a drain, and think about how to run lines from new water containers. It's quite a bit more planning work, but then the actual amount of physical work is very low particularly if you buy some larger discus to start with. My tank is documented in my build thread, been chugging along now for few years now and I do 0 daily work at this point. It's all done automatically.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120745-Miracles-custom-120-rimless-reef-to-discus/page33

eugenefish
10-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Discus is for old people. The younger ones have too many distractions in their lives.

Willie

That is very true. I am at the age of 53 now and I just pick up this hobby again since I moved away from this hobby 18 years ago. Now I have 26 active discus swimming in my house :) :)

nah
10-22-2018, 05:02 PM
I visited a shop today to purchase a Green Cory for my tank, fish arrive from Kenny tomorrow. The fellow there told, his store was established in the 60s, that he has noticed a growth in the hobby of late. Many of us seem to be coming back. I have said elsewhere when I left the hobby I was raising wild discus because that was all there was. I was so surprised to learn how many variations, and colorful ones, have evolved since the 80s.

jimmyjoe
10-22-2018, 05:22 PM
OMG nah, you are something else I think you guys are on too something, my wife thinks there's to much to do but what can us nuts think of something else to do but raising these flat pancake of a looking fish. So with your guys permission and Al's FBW's I'll be taking the plunge soon, thanks for all the great words of encouragement. Jim in North Ridgeville, Ohio

nah
10-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Jimmy,you can do it!

jimmyjoe
10-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Jimmy,you can do it!

Thanks nah, that means a lot.